Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Headphones/Monitors Dilemna (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=174665)

RobRicketts 2013-01-18 02:33

Headphones/Monitors Dilemna

Hey all, I wonder if anyone could offer up some advice—

Currently I have a pair of Sennhesier HD25's and a Focusrite Sapphire 6, both of which I'm thinking of selling as my Sapphire 6 doesn't offer up much headroom (I'm not sure whether or not I have a faulty unit) and find the HD25's far from ideal for mixing (or any headphones at all for that matter).

I've been thinking of getting some monitors for a small setup up at home (deciding between the Rockit 5's and HS50Ms) but my room is tiny and boxy and will end up being expensive to treat, and I would only really have a few hours on a weekend to let them rip (due to work during the week and having people in the house to consider).

Should I go for another pair of headphones and a better soundcard/headphone amp, or am I wasting my time and should just go for the monitors although my room is far from ideal?

Kisai2 2013-01-18 02:45

I could say at least 70% of people here don't have a treated room. As much as headphones are more convenient, I think mixing with monitors is always going to triumph over mixing in headphones. (Even without the treated room) I would say go for the HM50's. They have a little less low end, BUT the frequency response on them is a way flatter than that of the KRK Rokits. I also don't like the muddy low end that the KRK Rokits are known for. I would rather have less bass and more mids and highs, then an over-exaggerated low end. (Despite making bass music hahaha)

DivineSage 2013-01-18 03:55

I am running HS80m's in my room. It's a rather small rectangular room very far from ideal for a good sound set up. I rarely crank them and they sound fine. I actually prefer not to turn them up very loud most of the time I use them.

I also use use Bayer Dynamic DT770 Pro's as my headphones. I am almost always on my monitors unless it's late or I am trying to get a couple of references on different systems.

From my personal experience I'd get the HS's again in a second although I already had a great pair of headphones. Even still I rarely use the headphones now.

RobRicketts 2013-01-18 10:40

Cheers guys, think I've made my mind up on the monitors, the housemates and neighbours will just have to deal with it haha I was just a bit a worried I'd splash out on them and then get them home to find they are next to useless because of how small my room is.

I'm 100% sold on the HS50M's now too, I've read no end of good reviews about them and they are brutally honest apparently, which after years of trying to mix on those HD25's is what I need!

Might keep the HD25's for referencing though, unless I can flog them and get something better without spending too much.

dbragz 2013-01-18 14:03

If you are going to mix in an untreated room, you might be better off with audiophile headphones. When I'm not at my studio, I'm mixing on Beyerdynamic T1 headphones and they translate very well. They are accurate and you can hear where the bass sits in the mix unlike other headphones

HiddenOutsideTheBox 2013-01-18 14:50

I'd keep the headphones mate. It's good to go back and forth between phones and monitors. You can pick up on more elements that way.

Kisai2 2013-01-18 15:00

Even at a low level they aren't so bad. It's honestly better to mix at lower volumes anyway. If you can hear all the elements of your track with the volume low, you'll definitely be able to hear it when you turn it up.

RobRicketts 2013-01-18 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbragz (Post 1221684)
If you are going to mix in an untreated room, you might be better off with audiophile headphones. When I'm not at my studio, I'm mixing on Beyerdynamic T1 headphones and they translate very well. They are accurate and you can hear where the bass sits in the mix unlike other headphones

See this is what I thought initially and I know it is definitely possible to get decent mixes on headphones alone, I'm having a right struggle at the moment though and I don't know if this is down to me or whether I need a flatter pair of headphones for mixing, or monitors. I can get my mixes sounding good in my HD25s but they just don't translate, I always loose my low end and the stereo image is always too narrow or way too wide.

Those T1s look amazing however, might be a bit out of price range though!

tomriv 2013-01-18 21:31

For those of us on a budget (completely the other end of the scale to Beyerdynamic T1) im looking at getting some Shure SRH440 headphones. All the reviews I have read are very positive related to studio monitoring.

Does anyone have any experience of these? They have to be better than my Sennheiser HD202's which im currently using for mixing!! (and i know monitors is the way to go but as I said on a budget and also space is an issue)

djfm1983 2013-01-21 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobRicketts (Post 1221472)
Sapphire 6 doesn't offer up much headroom (I'm not sure whether or not I have a faulty unit)

I doubt you have a faulty unit. All audio interfaces have the same headroom if I'm correct. They can only go to 0db full scale anything over that and your clipping. The problem is you probably don't know how to leave headroom when your mixing. Try adjusting the VU offset so the 0VU is equal to -16 peak (or even 0VU to -20 peak if you have a real hard time leaving head room) what this will do is make your ssl channels go into the red (even though there will be no clipping) faster, this helped me out alot. You probably turn all your faders up too high when you should probably turn them all down and turn your monitors up.