Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Deadmau5 style Prog House (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=174734)

AvatarOne 2013-01-18 21:41

Deadmau5 style Prog House
 
Hey all,

EDIT: The attached version now includes the recommendations I was given to increase the punch of the snare, and to tinker with the intro :)

I'm currently producing beds and cues for use on Radio and TV, the theme is 'cutting edge' dance music. Each track comes in 4 versions, 2 minute full and thin mixes, and 30s full and thin mixes.

This track is supposed to be similar in style to Deadmau5 (ie prog house with a bed of lush sounding plucked 8th notes, and lots of side-chaining:) ). Here is the 2 min full mix:

Loading SoundCloud…


Mike

DivineSage 2013-01-18 22:31

I like it, well done.

If there are two things though I could comment on. The little few second intro noise, not really feeling it. The other thing is the snare you used. It sounds really weak and flat.

Besides those two things I like it.

AvatarOne 2013-01-18 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenTheDreamers (Post 1222154)
I like it, well done.

If there are two things though I could comment on. The little few second intro noise, not really feeling it. The other thing is the snare you used. It sounds really weak and flat.

Besides those two things I like it.

Thanks for listening. I think you might be right about the snare, although it is supposed to lack mid-range punch, compared to a snare in a dubstep track. I wanted a sharp understated snare. I'll look at that again though. You might prefer the snare in this one:

https://soundcloud.com/avatarone/ava...usical-bed-for

The intro has to be very very short, 1 bar max, so that is trickier to change - I'll look at it though.

Mike

rVOLT 2013-01-18 23:02

Do you normally produce dance or is this a new thing you're aiming at ?

AvatarOne 2013-01-18 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvolt (Post 1222177)
Do you normally produce dance or is this a new thing you're aiming at ?

My first release on Beatport was in 2008, and it was a vocal trance track :) I mainly produce house/trance/breaks/drum and bass and my take on dubstep.

The tracks for this radio/tv project are supposed to be fairly generic.

rVOLT 2013-01-18 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvatarOne (Post 1222180)
My first release on Beatport was in 2008, and it was a vocal trance track :) I mainly produce house/trance/breaks/drum and bass and my take on dubstep.

The tracks for this radio/tv project are supposed to be fairly generic.

Cool. This sounds good. For some reason I thought you did another style of music, and was just starting out with dance... sounding this clean.

AvatarOne 2013-01-18 23:10

I like to make all sorts, but the releases I've had on labels have been the genres I mentioned above. :)

DivineSage 2013-01-19 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvatarOne (Post 1222160)
Thanks for listening. I think you might be right about the snare, although it is supposed to lack mid-range punch, compared to a snare in a dubstep track. I wanted a sharp understated snare. I'll look at that again though. You might prefer the snare in this one:

https://soundcloud.com/avatarone/ava...usical-bed-for

The intro has to be very very short, 1 bar max, so that is trickier to change - I'll look at it though.

Mike

I was unaware of the limitation to a 1 bar intro. That indeed is tricky. In that case it would be quite difficult to get something smooth that quick.

My ears have normalized to a dubstep snare now so anything that isn't as punchy sounds a tad funny to me lol.

The second track was nice. The snares did sound similar but call me crazy it was a bit more present and punchy.

AvatarOne 2013-01-19 00:22

Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. The second track had a different snare which I programmed for mid-range punch :) I wasn't trying to get that sound in this track. I was going for a lighter tone, but maybe I went too far!

DivineSage 2013-01-19 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvatarOne (Post 1222221)
Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. The second track had a different snare which I programmed for mid-range punch :) I wasn't trying to get that sound in this track. I was going for a lighter tone, but maybe I went too far!

I think maybe I poorly worded what I said haha. Yeah no I did notice the difference. I do think you went a tiny bit to far in comparison to the two :).


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:12.