Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ambient Hip-Hop Track (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=174850)

Superheefer 2013-01-21 08:37

Ambient Hip-Hop Track

This is my latest track. I would appreciate any feedback. Especially on mixing. Im still trying to figure out EQ and compression. I really want to learn how to get low bass sounds like "compress me" for example, to be better heard on laptop speakers or just speakers without much bass output. Thanks for listening!

Loading SoundCloud…

Superheefer 2013-01-21 21:11

Damn, no comments? I guess no new is good news? Lol.

Kon79 2013-01-21 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superheefer (Post 1223354)
This is my latest track. I would appreciate any feedback. Especially on mixing. Im still trying to figure out EQ and compression. I really want to learn how to get low bass sounds like "compress me" for example, to be better heard on laptop speakers or just speakers without much bass output. Thanks for listening!

Loading SoundCloud…

Same thing happened to me when I posted on here. I'll check out your track when I get back to my house.

EricBom 2013-01-21 22:13

Track sound trippy and written well!

Thing about bass on a laptop speaker is that you will probably never hear it.
Unless you are willing to use a lot of distortion/saturation on the bass.

Superheefer 2013-01-21 23:48

Thanks for the feedback. I dont expect it to be loud and clear but at least just loud enough to know its there. I listen to a lot of DnB and I find even the sub bass sounds usually come through enough to be heard without head phones or a sub.

italy909 2013-01-22 01:45

Diggin the groove and the bassline. The keys are nice and lush as well. Now I don't kmow the ambient hip-hop genre but I personally would like the drums to be hitting a bit harder. Just my taste. Maybe just thrust them up front in the mix and adjust the bass and keys accordingly. i wanna feel the kick and snare. Either way, do your thing. make music. Thanks for posting.

Superheefer 2013-01-22 02:05

I was thinking the same thing with the drums. The song sounded a lot different when I first made it. was more on the ambient side with just the drums bass and pads. I may have to redo them or at least layer them with another kit cuz I agree they sound a bit thin compared to the rest of the instruments.

Kisai2 2013-01-22 05:06

Layering the drums and giving that snare a little more snap. Boost around 2.5khz - 5khz and see if anything in that general area sounds good. I usually only boost a couple of db maybe 4-5db if I really wanna add character. I feel like maybe some more reverbs would be nice too. It would add to the overall track as well. Sounds good tho

Superheefer 2013-01-22 08:25

When you say boost do you mean with the EQ?

djfm1983 2013-01-23 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superheefer (Post 1223929)
Thanks for the feedback. I dont expect it to be loud and clear but at least just loud enough to know its there. I listen to a lot of DnB and I find even the sub bass sounds usually come through enough to be heard without head phones or a sub.

Allot of times in Dnb for the bass they have a sine wave playing the extrem low and another sound playing the same notes higher. Load up a Dnb track you like in Reason and run a HPF up until the low sub disapears and you'll still probably hear the notes of the bassline. This is because the bass sound is kinda layered. Sine wave playing the sub and another osc playing the higher notes.

As far as improving your compression techniques you gotta learn how to properly A/B compare your dry to comp signal. You can watch my video on my livestream channel ( www.livestream.com/djfm1983 ) to see how to do this. Once you learn this it will help you adjust your comp settings everytime.