Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Crackling/Popping in Reason 6.5 (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=174914)

jwei92 2013-01-22 07:39

Crackling/Popping in Reason 6.5

I have Reason 6.5, and am running it on a Macbook Pro early 2011 model. It has a 2.3 GHz i5, 8GB of RAM (though I think that's irrelevant).

I don't have much running in the background except maybe a browser and Preview (PDF reading app for you Windows followers).

My DSP meter has one single blue bar, yet when I play a beat (4-on-the-floor), 25% of the time during the loop around, or when changing volume, there is a loud pop/crackle sound. Why is this?

nikita83 2013-01-22 08:17

Hello my friend, I'd like to give you a little hope and let you know that you're not alone in having this EXACT issue!

I recently had a problem I came to this forum looking for help too. However people did not take me seriously. I got replies telling me it's this and that! That's it's my computer, BUT guess what rest assured, IT'S NOT!

I felt uneasy being a newcomer to the forum seeing hatred thrown my way after I re-stated it was NOT my hardware over and over again, as if I didn't matter.

In turn I alone figured out the answer to this problem. Turned out it wasn't so complicated as people made it out to be. Thing is I use Windows.

All I need to know is what audio driver you are using for your reason settings, because I know that MAC has it's own proprietary sound drivers. If I can answer after that, I will. But, I can't guarantee I'll be able to based on what your settings are. If you are using the proprietary MAC sound driver, all I can say is that it is NOT your computer and it actually has nothing to do with the hardware of your system but HOW your driver USES your system!

I hope I helped and can further assist you, unlike some people here, even though I've never took on the role of helping someone out on a forum. And if I am not able to point the problem out to you directly at least you'll know it's not your computer and won't be going crazy about the possibility your computer is useless. :)

Nik

jwei92 2013-01-22 10:23

Thank you for you time.

I am using the default sound drivers on my Mac (CoreAudio I think)

ETalk 2013-01-22 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwei92 (Post 1224099)
I have Reason 6.5, and am running it on a Macbook Pro early 2011 model. It has a 2.3 GHz i5, 8GB of RAM (though I think that's irrelevant).

I don't have much running in the background except maybe a browser and Preview (PDF reading app for you Windows followers).

My DSP meter has one single blue bar, yet when I play a beat (4-on-the-floor), 25% of the time during the loop around, or when changing volume, there is a loud pop/crackle sound. Why is this?

Hi :)

What Mac OS are you using? Also what version of Reason 6.5? Make sure that you download the 'very' latest version of Reason (ver. 6.5.3) as it 'addresses' this issue (which is what I think is the problem here) of scrolling = crackling in Mac OS 10.8 :)

If this doesn't work then it's time you called the 'Support' crew in to your rescue ;)

Hope this helps!

Matt

jwei92 2013-01-22 10:24

And I am using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3. And my reason version is 6.5.3

ETalk 2013-01-22 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwei92 (Post 1224138)

Ah ok,

I know this might be a dumb question but; what speakers are you using? Could it be that the output is clipping your speakers? I don't know how much you know about computer audio so I'm starting at the most basic of problems that can arise, sorry if I've caused offense!

I suggest 2 things:

1. Contact Support
2. Also come over to the User forum (put like this it sounds like come over to the dark side :D)

Matt

vivadangermouse 2013-01-22 11:24

I'm no Mac expert but it sounds like a buffering issue. What buffer size do you have set in your audio preferences?

nikita83 2013-01-22 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwei92 (Post 1224138)

Hi, once again it's me :) ...The problem is not with Reason either. ;) Check your private messages. :)

devilfish 2013-01-22 15:36

Hi,..

i have another maybe interessting thing.

RME HDSP @ Win8 and 64 Samples Latency..
if i have more than 60% DSP --> i have crackles in the sound
but Reason do not show any message (Computer to slow or something)

If i turn my latency up to 128 Samples.. Everything is fine... ;)

jwei92 2013-01-22 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETalk (Post 1224143)
Ah ok,

I know this might be a dumb question but; what speakers are you using? Could it be that the output is clipping your speakers? I don't know how much you know about computer audio so I'm starting at the most basic of problems that can arise, sorry if I've caused offense!

I suggest 2 things:

1. Contact Support
2. Also come over to the User forum (put like this it sounds like come over to the dark side :D)

Matt

No, it's not clipping. I've used ATH M-50's, iPod Earphones, Harmon Kardon Soundsticks 3, and the stock Laptop speakers. Eventually, static/crackling is heard on either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivadangermouse (Post 1224157)
I'm no Mac expert but it sounds like a buffering issue. What buffer size do you have set in your audio preferences?

http://i.imgur.com/RZA07BU.jpg