Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to make a "live crowd" in DAW? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=175108)

Tokksic 2013-01-25 11:02

How to make a "live crowd" in DAW?

Hi there,

I´m producing a song where a "fan crowd" has to scream a short name like it´s a huge live show.
But I did not have a huge live show ;)

So my question is: Is there a way to make those things with a trick or something in Reason or Logic Pro?

On a older song we had have recorded 2 different voices a couple of times and layered it. Everybody thinks there are a few guys singing together. But it´s not as I need it for the new song.
I need "stadium-feeling" if you know what I mean.

So, anybody has an idea?

Greets

ThaRealest 2013-01-25 11:08

probably the easiest way is to sample it.

Tokksic 2013-01-25 11:19

You mean a Refill with crowd-samples for example?
I know. But i need my OWN name. And I can´t find a sample with my name ;)

OMOMs 2013-01-25 11:49

well, you could have some friends over, drink tons of Beer and then Record your name being screamed, by a couple of dudes over and over again. Of course you'll want some ladies in there aswell. Now record one track with your name and put it in the modulator of the vocoder, and some pink noise in the carrier. mix all of those tracks together and add Arena (or any other kind) Reverb to your liking.
You might have to experiment a bit with the pink noise, I've never actually tried it myself, but my audio engineering teacher back then has highly recommended it.

JellyF 2013-01-25 12:09

I would also say that you have to record this. Keep the Mic one to to meters from the source because you don't want it to sound to close.

Tokksic 2013-01-25 12:15

sounds very nice, thanks.
I don´t know anything about the modulator of the vocoder but i hope i will find it out ;)

i´ll try this in a few days and give response if it works for me.

Thank you guys

rVOLT 2013-01-25 15:43

Do what trent reznor of Nine inch nails does...

go out to a bar... and find a "happy bunch" of people. =)

Tokksic 2013-01-25 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvolt (Post 1226221)
Do what trent reznor of Nine inch nails does...

go out to a bar... and find a "happy bunch" of people. =)

then i need a very big bar ;)
i´ll try first the layer method. if it doesn´t work for me, i´ll try it your way ;)

LABONERECORDINGS 2013-01-25 16:38

Peff has a sick method.... using vocoder....

Get a crowd sample long enough on a loop so you don't hear it loop over prob 10-15 secs,
then feed that as standard input (carrier, should be stereo input) into the Vocoder. Get your main 'spoken word' sample as the modulator (into the 'mic' socket), and then you can start to use the 'spoken word' to 'modulate' the crowd, to get more people saying the same word.... have a play with that, I'll have a look for Peff's proper example in his book (PowerTools for Reason 3)

rVOLT 2013-01-25 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by LABONERECORDINGS (Post 1226252)
Peff has a sick method.... using vocoder....

Get a crowd sample long enough on a loop so you don't hear it loop over prob 10-15 secs,
then feed that as standard input (carrier, should be stereo input) into the Vocoder. Get your main 'spoken word' sample as the modulator (into the 'mic' socket), and then you can start to use the 'spoken word' to 'modulate' the crowd, to get more people saying the same word.... have a play with that, I'll have a look for Peff's proper example in his book (PowerTools for Reason 3)

I was thinking this would be a good idea, but hadn't tried it to recommend it.