Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mix Levels (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=175660)

ThaRealest 2013-02-05 01:04

Mix Levels

Hey guys I ran into something strange that when the channel strip shows clipping the main mix doesn't clip.

Anybody know why? I switch to peak mode and its like -4 db but on the channel strip it shows red. thanks!

QVprod 2013-02-05 01:54

The channel strip as in individual channels? If thats the case, clipping on one of the individual channels doesn't necessarily mean the entire mix will.

LondonSoundMan 2013-02-05 02:24

Sounds like your clipping the input of that said channel. How many channels are clipping ?

There is a difference between input and output gain as I am sure you know.... Like when a DJ clips a channel on a mixer, that channel can stay like that all night (sounding pooo) but the output master mix might / could show -8dB.....

Maybe you have a comp across the main ?

Good luck thou :)

ThaRealest 2013-02-05 04:08

@London Yeah no compressors running in the mix. I

@QVprod yes i meant the individual channel for mixing.

djfm1983 2013-02-05 08:55

The individual channels are using VU metering and depending where you have your vu offset set to will make your channels go into the red. VU and peak are two different types of metering. Unless your vu is set to 0(which I don't recommend, I set mine to 0vu =-16 peak ) then they won't go into the red. If they go into the red there is no worries with clipping (unless your vu offset is 0vu =0 peak. VU helps you to see your average level.
I'm surprised no one knew the answer.

Try turning the vu offset knob while watching the ssl channels you'll see the 0 move.

Smedberg 2013-02-05 09:23

There is no way to clip inside a channel due to 32 bit floating point.
The only place where it can clip is at the master output stage.

djfm1983 2013-02-05 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smedberg (Post 1232196)
There is no way to clip inside a channel due to 32 bit floating point.
The only place where it can clip is at the master output stage.

This is very true. The op was wondering why the channels were going into red. It's because of his vu offset settings. Channels use vu meters.

Ambientdave 2013-02-05 10:04

I know of someone who works as a sound engineer
Who taught me a good memorable saying that has stuck with me for a long time

Keep it Clean and Green ,ha,ha,works for me,

djfm1983 2013-02-05 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGardener (Post 1232204)
I know of someone who works as a sound engineer
Who taught me a good memorable saying that has stuck with me for a long time

Keep it Clean and Green ,ha,ha,works for me,

If you move the vu offset it will change when the channels go into the red. Try this have a sound hitting at -10 peak and move the vu offset so 0vu equals 0 peak (or anything above -10 peak), you'll notice the channel will be green. Then move the vu offset so 0vu equals - 20 peak (or any number below -10 peak ) and you'll see the channel go into the red. There is no clipping unless levels go past 0dBFS.

Ambientdave 2013-02-05 10:43

Nice tip thanks
I haven't done anything like this before.
Are you talking about the levels on the main mixer channels,or individual channels ?