Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stereo Widening (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=175793)

chuffer 2013-02-07 12:14

Stereo Widening

Hi all,

Looking to get a reaaly wide sound on my tracks....browsing the RE options Polar appears to be an option - are there any better alternatives?

Spectrephonic 2013-02-07 12:34

For stereo sources you can use the Stereo Imager, but I've bought the Stereo Splitter for mid/side. Works a bit better IMHO. Polar can help, with octave spreading. I've found that Echobode can do things to widen too.

For mono sources:

I have a couple:

Haas with Tape Echo wobble in Kong
Just the simple Haas effect but I create the delay with Kong's Tape Echo. You can dial in some wobble so the stereo effect to me is more stereo IMHO. I always dial down the Reso and give full Freq when I use the Tape Echo of Kong but you can experiment with it, remember that the Kong output is a little higher than the original so you have to adjust it on either Kong or the 6:2 mixer I use. You can also use The Echo for this with extra effects.

Split signal into High and Low
Sometimes this works, I split the signal with the Stereo Imager. I use both outputs on the back and route both to a 6:2 mixer, hard pan left and right. Dial the imager to split the freq left and right. Works great in combination with Haas. I only use the Stereo Imager as a freq-splitter here, I almost never use it for it's original purpose btw.

Wet and Dry
Split the signal and hard pan left and right. Give one side a room reverb full wet, easy on the decay. You can do this with lots of effects, sometimes a chorus/unison works great. (I tend to use the chorus of Thor a lot for this).

Alligator
I discovered you can widen with the Alligator. Hook up an Alligator to your mono signal. Flip the rack and connect CV cables from Gate 1 out to Gate 2 in, from Gate 2 out to Gate 3 in, and from Gate 3 out to Gate 1 in, now Alligator let's all audio pass. Now you can use the effects on the three lanes in Alligator, I tend to drop the volume on the middle lane till zero. Pan the High and the Low hard and play with the delay, phaser and drive knobs. Just use different settings for both sides. You can even use the Eq of the Alligator but that'll change the character of the sound too much maybe. I use the Alligator if I want to do something radical.

Automation
If you create a stereo effect with one of the above techniques it's sometimes cool to automate certain knobs, I use the global pan knob on the SSL a lot, just to "move" the sound more.

Set up a stereo pair in a room and record
Really easy to do! If you have a couple of mics you can use for this (I sometimes use a M/S setup) in a good sounding room, do it!

I have two big PA speakers for this, but any speaker will do. I place each speaker in a spot I like and feed the same mono source to each. If you have a mic pair that you can move around while recording you can try that out as well! Just experiment with this one. This is the best stereo effect you'll ever hear!

I almost always stick a Stereo Splitter after these applications, to get it wider.

chuffer 2013-02-07 12:45

Great thanks.......sorry for sounding dumb but am I right in thinking that all internally generated sounds in Reason are mono (as they are single channel)?....i.e. the stereo sources would only be stereo audio files that have been imported?

kowdermeister 2013-02-07 12:54

"Set up a stereo pair in a room and record
Really easy to do! If you have a couple of mics you can use for this (I sometimes use a M/S setup) in a good sounding room, do it!"

Tip of the day, THX :)

Spectrephonic 2013-02-07 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuffer (Post 1233509)
Great thanks.......sorry for sounding dumb but am I right in thinking that all internally generated sounds in Reason are mono (as they are single channel)?....i.e. the stereo sources would only be stereo audio files that have been imported?

Look at the back of the devices, some are mono (Subtractor, Malstrom) and some are stereo (Thor, NNXT). This does not mean you can't get stereo out of mono (as shown above) or that a stereo device spits out mono. You can hear if it's stereo but you can also stick a stereo widener (widen the highs of lows) or stereo splitter (more side) on it to hear if the sound widens. If not, it's mono and you have to to do something like explained above.

Spectrephonic 2013-02-07 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by kowdermeister (Post 1233514)
"Set up a stereo pair in a room and record
Really easy to do! If you have a couple of mics you can use for this (I sometimes use a M/S setup) in a good sounding room, do it!"

Tip of the day, THX :)

No problem!

Ambientdave 2013-02-07 14:57

Stereo Splitter

Hi

Use Quadraelectra Stereo Splitter ( try it for 30 days,as with the others)
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...ons/icon10.gif
Its got mid/ side splitting ,and lots of other goods.It makes your sounds crisp and sharp
Once you have it set up,use it for the main insert fx on the master channel of the SSL mixer

I bought it and Im very pleased with my resultshttps://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...ons/icon10.gif

Tried it out with a guitar patch,very clean and crisp sound (its on my Soundcloud page under guitar solo)

if you want to have a listen,feel free

Reason1O1 2013-02-07 15:09

Poor little Unison always gets neglected. Yet it was pretty much BUILT for widening. Comb filters, if used properly can add a chorus effect. And yeah, the Chorus is pretty much a widener too.

M Class Stereo can also widen.

You have a lot of options with the stock devices, as well as several RE devices that will work (and have been mentioned). Still, I love the Unison device, if used judiciously and properly.

And please for the love of good music, do not start widening everything in your mix. Balance is your friend.

Spectrephonic 2013-02-07 16:44

I don't like the Unison, it blurs the source, sometimes it's cool, most of the time it isn't. I like it better when used in the Wet/Dry setting. So a wet left and a dry right

twink 2013-02-07 19:34

Awesome answers and details, Spectrephonic. I typically over-abuse Unison. You should consider making a template/demo file(s) with examples in use!