Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   graceful fails (CPU overload) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=175875)

cyclic604b33 2013-02-08 20:57

graceful fails (CPU overload)

if i am doing a mix at 96 KHZ and the cpu overloads it tells me that the computer is too slow to play this song ..

it would be nice to have the option to fail down to a lower rate 0f 88.2 KHZ with an on screen indicator and no stopping audio

think live PA

VillaNDubstep 2013-02-08 21:56

Or plan your set before hand and if it's too much stress make the necessary changes before hand?

cyclic604b33 2013-02-08 22:27

cpu graph ?

if they have a cpu meter showing the processing load they could offer a chart to show where the song is heavy and maybe even a per device break down

MayorMcCheese 2013-02-09 00:21

If you're working in 96 then it's just for your ego. If you were a Sony engineer or something and could justify 96 then you'd have the equipment already. Have mercy on your CPU. And listen with your ears, not your ego.

In other words, of all the new options that Reason could have, your proposal hits the bottom of the barrel.

cyclic604b33 2013-02-09 01:48

96 is the way

after mixing a while with 96 i find the sound smoother and more analog like

the higher frequencies are more lively

JiggeryPokery 2013-02-09 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclic604b33 (Post 1234595)
after mixing a while with 96 i find the sound smoother and more analog like

the higher frequencies are more lively

That may often be true, but working at lower rates still makes more sense, then using 96 just for rendering, when asio latency doesn't matter.

No-one in their right mind would use 88.2k or higher on a laptop for live performance.

And what happens when certain drivers only allow ASIO rate change directly in their driver software, not via the DAW? What you're suggesting can't actually be done for many drivers. Changing sample rates with E-mu requires you to go into it's own driver software if you change the rate in Reason prefs, and I recall M-Audio did that as well when I last used it a few years back.

MayorMcCheese 2013-02-09 02:54

I’m a computer dummy and I have no idea what Mr. Pokery just said, but I know that he knows of which he speaks and that therefore it’s the straight word.

So cyclic, think about what limitations you are imposing on yourself to have a perceived smooth analog sound. Don’t get me wrong; I love lively higher frequencies, but we have lots of options (REs, etc.) for that which don’t suck up CPU on a continual basis.

joshuajohn89 2013-02-09 06:15

I do not understand the poor reception to this suggestion so far; I think the option for such a fail-safe is an excellent idea.

I do, however, imagine that for the system to 'fail gracefully' (i.e., without any nasty artifacts at the moment of transition) the lower sample rate(s) must be running concurrently with the primary, which itself would add to the processor's load, I think.

Mind you, I don't know much about these sorts of things, so this is really just conjecture on my part, but I still think it is a very interesting idea.

SteveDiverse 2013-02-09 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuajohn89 (Post 1234664)
I do not understand the poor reception to this suggestion so far; I think the option for such a fail-safe is an excellent idea.

Mind you, I don't know much about these sorts of things, so this is really just conjecture on my part, but I still think it is a very interesting idea.

Please provide sample computer code on how this request would be implemented.

HINT: The 'too slow' message means the CPU cannot keep up with the required processing per unit time - the CPU's ability to process information is maxed out.

Before you respond, keep your secrets to yourself...here's the website for jobs at Intel: http://www.intel.com/jobs/

No offense intended...just saying...when you run out of processing power, you're done.

...How would you push a processor past its ability to process?

Djjimmyc 2013-02-09 09:42

96 for a live set? you're mad!

We only use 44.1 in the studio and we've topped a beatport chart :P

I may sound a little egotistical but at the end of the day, yes it might sounds better to you but to the vast majority of your listeners both at home or in the crowd at your live gigs, it makes little difference.