Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The maximizer? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=175877)

inmatus 2013-02-08 21:27

The maximizer?

Been a bit suprized that the maximizer so easily results in distorsion..
Used to wavelabs that dont..

I know that if you have the "wrong" mix with peaks and to little of filtering get you a bad sound.. But still.. If you put a limiter on in the end and raise the volume it shouldnt end up in distorsion. Actually I skipped the mastering in reason and took a "friendly" wav to wavelab for the loudness with punch, compressor and limiting since it too often sounds ok in reason but when listening onthe wav you hear distorsion. Yeah.. 4ms look ahead, fast and fast + 0.0 db output gain on the maximizer is set. Sound looks Ok in reason but wav result have distorsion. IMO that is crap.

You should handle the mix OK to get levels and all right and use limiters in a "wise way" but still.. even if you dont you shouldnt get distorsion. Pumping, bad sound.. OK.. thats fair. Distorsion? No..

But that is what you get far to easy IMO.

For me it seems like a bug.

Ozone works fine

djfm1983 2013-02-08 22:56

Most of the time with any compressors or limiters when you use fastest attack/release times you will get distortion. Even with the FET which is based off a real device gets a small amount of distortion with fast times. How do you have the attack/release times on your maximizer in wave lab?

inmatus 2013-02-08 23:11

When I use wavelab I just use multi leveler and at some time puncher. There is no attack/release setting. Just puts up the level.
Its not a small amount of distorsion when using the maximizer in reason. It is really cracking. To me it seems that the maximizer dont keep it at 0 db but let peaks through

odarmonix 2013-02-08 23:41

With the settings you described the M Maximizer should NOT let peaks hit the 0 dB ceiling, I know for sure it doesn't on my side.

Are you using the maximizer as an insert effect in the master section ? if yes, make sure the master fader is set to 0 dB or below. The master fader always acts after the insert effect, so pushing it above 0 dB will inevitably cancel out any brickwall limiting you applied.

Another possible cause could be soft clipping simply being turned on, it can introduce audible clipping with high knob values and it's normally unnecessary with look-ahead activated + fast attack.

nickb523 2013-02-08 23:42

The maximizer will only go over if the soft clip is disabled. Make sure you enable the soft clip and there shouldn't be any digital distortion.

djfm1983 2013-02-09 01:00

Try changing the attack/release settings. A fast attack/release will almost always introduce distortion. Also what rms level do you have after you use the maximizer?

Djjimmyc 2013-02-09 09:59

How much gain reduction you getting too?

inmatus 2013-02-10 00:06

Looking a bit more in to it.. It doesnt go over 0 DB but end result is distortion..
Got the Ozone limiter in the rack now and it works very good.

The song is not an easy piece to limit maybe, Reason drum kit (sampled live drums), 3-4 fuzz guitars.. etc. A bit mid freq crowded and hard to mix and I am looking for "rough" high loudness sound (ex-punker)

Maximizer seems to have a hard time to handle it but ozone.. no problemo

djfm1983 2013-02-10 21:01

You still need to give us more info. How much gain reduction is going on between the m-class and RE? How much dynamic range is left afterwords on both? How about final rms level?

mind2069 2013-02-10 21:35

the mclass max always seemed bad to me, never used it on a mix, terrible on the high. distors easily, ozone is way better, I mean light years better.

I only use the mclass max gently limit drums, never execding 2db of reduction, I just use it as a safety clip