Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Powered USB hub? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=175928)

N03L 2013-02-09 23:50

Powered USB hub?

Do you know if there's been any change in the Props policy on using USB hubs?
I've got an ongoing problem with the USB ports/drivers in my laptop which, incidentally, was bought to replace my main music PC for running Reason 6, and I'm still getting DPC latency issues with Balance.
I can't afford to replace the laptop or the desktop and Acer are offering to "look at the problem" but I really don't think they'll find anything that they'll call a problem.
Balance suffers from terrible drop-outs when connected to any of the USB ports and my Novation Impulse 49 controller isn't properly recognised by two of the three USB ports.
I think my only hope is to get a powered hub that'll provide the quality of connection that Balance and the Impulse need.

Thanks in advance.

N03L

jkheal 2013-02-10 00:27

What policy?

n0ahg 2013-02-10 00:54

Props don't have a policy, it is recommended any audio interface is connected directly to the root hub and not via an external hub... powered or not.

N03L 2013-02-10 13:11

You know what I mean.
The lovely support peeps are very specific about not using a hub but I can't get a good enough signal on two of the three ports in my laptop and unless I use the one good port for my
Impulse controller, it isn't even recognised by Automap and Reason doesn't pick it up properly.
I'm stuck.

charlycharlzz 2013-02-10 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by N03L (Post 1235273)
You know what I mean.
The lovely support peeps are very specific about not using a hub but I can't get a good enough signal on two of the three ports in my laptop and unless I use the one good port for my
Impulse controller, it isn't even recognised by Automap and Reason doesn't pick it up properly.
I'm stuck.

like most laptops they build sometimes I usb port up front that work and then the others are hubs !
your laptop is a Acer well no wonder you got screwed man ! sometimes desktop pc does that !

SteveDiverse 2013-02-10 17:44

open device manager (somewhere in control panel, depends on your OS and which view mode you have set).

click on Universal Serial Bus controllers

right-click on the root hub(s) and select properties

select the power management tab and make sure there's nothing set that could stop power - usually means uncheck all boxes

then goto Power Options (somewhere in control panel) and set the option for highest performance - especially if you are running laptop using battery.

laptops vary, and have all sorts of power management things built in to help save/extend battery power, it's possible yours is cutting power to usb ports so you can run longer without plugging in.

you can also try updating the usb device drivers...right-click on root hub and select update drivers.