Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Creating FX patches for Audio tracks (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=175957)

sweetbutt 2013-02-10 15:15

Creating FX patches for Audio tracks

hello!

I went thru' the manual of course but I'm still missing something

the basic idea is to create FX patches (which inslude several FXs) for a given audio track

so far I've only been able to insert single FXs but to me it feels they're a cascade of single devices rather than a single patch..
my goal is to have a single FX made by several devices ..
Thing is I need to create a unique processing sound as I used to do with Live ... and now that I'm really fascinated by Reason I want to do the same here ... the FXs I made with live shaped the tone of my previous release .. now that I'm working on my new album I want to shape a new "overall tone" by creating a series of FXs..
this all-in-One thing is pretty much what happens with the combinator ..but I need to use it on an audio track..
and so far I haven't been able to do it...

thanks for the inputs!

OMOMs 2013-02-10 15:28

hey sweetbutt
just create your FX in a combinator and load it up into the Audio track.
Or simply press show insert FX on the audio track and start creating devices in the insert section.
I really recommend these!
actually the entire PropellerheadSW is crammed to the top with tutorials and how to's, and really worth checking out!

sweetbutt 2013-02-10 16:05

thanks Om!

I was missing those .. much appreciated

actually I already tried to do what you suggested but couldn't make it work the way I was expecting
but I'm still new to these kind of things in R and also want to make sure that what I was doing in Live is actually feasible in R ..
maybe even not .. maybe Reason "thinks" slightly differently
which would be totally ok ... leads to new things :D

just a quick simple question:

if I create a unique FX patch with a Combi, can I apply it to ANYthing?
might be an audio track or midi or even the master section?

for now, for what I've tried a Combi seems not to fit inside the Insert Slot of an Audio track .. if I hightlight the Insert Slot and choose to create a Combi then it appears outside of it in a separate channel (looks to me)

OMOMs 2013-02-10 17:15

yes you can apply it to anything, even the master section.
just click on 'show programmer' on the audio track, or mix channel, and click the 'open' button. then navigate to the folder you saved your combinator patch in and open it.

tincture 2013-02-10 17:51

Yeah combi's won't "fit" in the audio track insert section but you can still route to and from them even though the combi itself sits "outside" the insert section. Just connect the audio track's insert "to devices" to the combi In, then connect the combi Out to the "from devices" on the audio track.

StormCanada 2013-02-10 19:03

The addition to the method mentioned above me is that if the FX are a separate combi outside your desired track, you can create a separate mix channel just for the Fx or you can wire it back into the track. Your choice when mixing.

Hit Tab and start playing around with routing. It's amazing what you can do.

tincture 2013-02-10 20:28

Good point Storm. BTW nice track you've got there, really like the various guitar sounds.

StormCanada 2013-02-11 02:10

Hey thanks Zac! You have a new follower on SC!! :)

Yeah I got that Mix Channel tip from Gary Bronhom as he was helping me with the finished details on my shimmer combi. He had been with The Edge on some recordings so we said route your send into a new mix channel and send it into itself for that lushness The Edge has. What a great guy.
[edit] I just realized the track in my sig has that shimmer...that high pitch shimmer is triggered from the vox channel (automated) which goes into a shimmer combi, into its own mix channel, and then the shimmer is mixed separately. Does that help the OP?

So, to the OP feel free to make your combi patches and save them. The one thing people coming from other software don't realize is that Reason has so many possibilities you wouldn't normally think of coming from other DAWs. We sort of get 'trained' for lack of a better term.

I find it very hard to go back to SONAR now and use Sends as an example. Reason feels freeing.

tincture 2013-02-11 11:19

Yes, that really works well, nice story. I think that helps the OP. Is your shimmer combi in the FSB or elsewhere...?

Ambientdave 2013-02-11 11:26

my choice

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormCanada (Post 1235440)
The addition to the method mentioned above me is that if the FX are a separate combi outside your desired track, you can create a separate mix channel just for the Fx or you can wire it back into the track. Your choice when mixing.

Hit Tab and start playing around with routing. It's amazing what you can do.

Yep I agree Storm

This is my choice too,he,he

But there are so many choices,best to sit down play and experiment

My advice would be ,when you have found something that suits you.Make a template so you can come back to it at a later datehttps://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...ons/icon10.gif