Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Back in The Day ---- What is the Genre? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=176099)

CrossFireG 2013-02-13 03:21

Back in The Day ---- What is the Genre?

Whats good people?
This is the first time i've posted in the forum and i really wanted to hear some thoughts and feedback on my new track.

Loading SoundCloud…

Mostly i wanted to know what genre you guys would put this song under. I thought it was kinda Trip Hop but other people seem to think differently.

Also should i fine tune the mix more?

Thanks

DivineSage 2013-02-13 03:51

Really like the drums and the light piano sort of hiding in the background.

Not really sure what to classify this as, I'm horrible at labeling genre's and generally don't care to.

Really like the lo-fi distorted effect on the drums.

Good job :D

pastoreric 2013-02-13 04:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrossFireG (Post 1236897)
Whats good people?
This is the first time i've posted in the forum and i really wanted to hear some thoughts and feedback on my new track.

Loading SoundCloud…

Mostly i wanted to know what genre you guys would put this song under. I thought it was kinda Trip Hop but other people seem to think differently.

Also should i fine tune the mix more?

Thanks

Hard to classify, but its good. I'm feeling it!

CrossFireG 2013-02-13 05:11

Thanks guys :D

DIGITUS 2013-02-13 09:38

It's a great track with lots of interesting stuff going on! If I was forced to choose a category, I'd pick Trip Hop. It has some elements that are really weird and it has a subtle Hip Hop vibe. It's the perfect recipe for great Trip Hop! Good Stuff!... ;)

CrossFireG 2013-02-14 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIGITUS (Post 1236992)
It's a great track with lots of interesting stuff going on! If I was forced to choose a category, I'd pick Trip Hop. It has some elements that are really weird and it has a subtle Hip Hop vibe. It's the perfect recipe for great Trip Hop! Good Stuff!... ;)

Cool, i might consider labeling it as Trip Hop if a few more people suggest it. It is probably the most relative genre to the song :)

luegenbold 2013-02-17 12:33

definitely TripHop. I don't like labeling my work as well, but this is 78.5% TripHop. Nice work.

K1TTENM1TTEN 2013-02-18 00:25

Hey man, I enjoy the song. I would not throw it in the trip hop genre, as really the drums don't have kind of that "glitch" sound do them that play in between the 4/4 beat. I mean, the song changes a bit throughout, and really not until about 3:27 does it start to have a "hip hop" or "rnb" vibe. It would be hard to classify it because there is a lot of stuff going on not in the norm. But I would almost throw it in like a dark chillout genre before throwing it into trip hop. Trip hop, to me, is like old Flying Lotus.

On a side note, I do like the compression on the drums, but to me, I think a little reverb on the drums that come in around 0:43 would go a very long way and add a little more spacial element to this pretty chill track. Overall, nicely done!

AnthonyMichaelAngelo 2013-02-18 01:38

I dig the track.

Trip Hop is what I feel here. Not Dubstep, which it is also tagged.

Nice sound to it. Like.

mastertonyd 2013-02-18 16:15

Very nice track!