Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   balance by itself (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=176117)

fluxdelux 2013-02-13 12:52

balance by itself

why can;t we purchase Balance by itself without having to buy software we won't use or need? I already own Reason 6.5, how would owning Essentials be advantageous to me if I want to have Balance?

Can anyone give me a good explanation? Wouldn't they sell more units of Balance if we had that option?

what gives?

Jchop76 2013-02-13 12:56

I'm looking to buy Balance and Reason essentials then upgrade to reason 6.5

To my understanding for owners of Reason already, you are stuck with an unregistered copy of essentials you can sell, but will not need. Doesn't really make sense to me either. As owners of reason should be able to get balance at a discounted price.

My advice would be look to find balance used, then sell the unregistered Essentials.

OMOMs 2013-02-13 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxdelux (Post 1237055)
why can;t we purchase Balance by itself without having to buy software we won't use or need? I already own Reason 6.5, how would owning Essentials be advantageous to me if I want to have Balance?

Can anyone give me a good explanation? Wouldn't they sell more units of Balance if we had that option?

what gives?

Actually Balance is totally worth the price!
and you get the Essentials license for free, same as you get live lite, when buying an M-audio interface or other gear.
If you buy at retail price it is usually 100 bucks or so cheaper

http://www.thomann.de/gb/propellerhead_balance.htm
https://www.propellerheads.se/shop/i...0010&Cat=10000

plus you can sell the essentials license for more than 120€ because it can be upgraded for cheaper than if you buy essentials standalone! (149€ compared to 299€!)

So they are actually offering people who own Reason 6.5 an incredible Bargain!

let me do the math for you:
say you buy Balance for 333€ at Thomann, then sell the essentials license for 180€ (which is still 100€ cheaper for the one you sell it to) and you pay a total of 153€ for an interface that is easily worth 400€
It has been compared to the Apogee duet in quality and the duet is 479€ at Thoman.
Balance with essentials, for owners of 6.5 is incredibly cheap in the long run!

reasoner498 2013-02-13 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMOMs (Post 1237068)
Actually Balance is totally worth the price!
and you get the Essentials license for free, same as you get live lite, when buying an M-audio interface or other gear.

Actually, Reason Limited / Adapted is more analogous to Live Lite, wheras Reason Essentials is more like getting Live Intro.

Some Line 6 devices come with Reason Limited, so getting Essentials is a better value compared to normal OEM versions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMOMs (Post 1237068)
plus you can sell the essentials license for more than 120€ because it can be upgraded for cheaper than if you buy essentials standalone! (149€ compared to 299€!)

So they are actually offering people who own Reason 6.5 an incredible Bargain!

let me do the math for you:
say you buy Balance for 333€ at Thomann, then sell the essentials license for 180€ (which is still 100€ cheaper for the one you sell it to) and you pay a total of 153€ for an interface that is easily worth 400€
It has been compared to the Apogee duet in quality and the duet is 479€ at Thoman.
Balance with essentials, for owners of 6.5 is incredibly cheap in the long run!

Your math is way off...

There is s strong secondary market for Propellerhead products, where prices average approx. 50% of retail.

Reason 6/6.5 sells for about $200-250 used. If you want to sell an Essentials from Balance license, you'll only get about...

x + upgrade price = $250

x = $250 - upgrade price

x = $250 - ($169 + shipping)

x = a whole lot less than 180€ ...

ymmv...

OMOMs 2013-02-13 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by reasoner498 (Post 1237094)
Actually, Reason Limited / Adapted is more analogous to Live Lite, wheras Reason Essentials is more like getting Live Intro.

Some Line 6 devices come with Reason Limited, so getting Essentials is a better value compared to normal OEM versions.

Your math is way off...

There is s strong secondary market for Propellerhead products, where prices average approx. 50% of retail.

Reason 6/6.5 sells for about $200-250 used. If you want to sell an Essentials from Balance license, you'll only get about...

x + upgrade price = $250

x = $250 - upgrade price

x = $250 - ($169 + shipping)

x = a whole lot less than 180€ ...

ymmv...

I understand.
when I looked on ebay germany I only found original Reason versions, everything else would include shipping from the united states or ireland or something, which of course introduces horrendous shipping costs.
Apparently I didn't think far enough outside the box. But at least there was some kind of thinking going on inside the box, which is a step in the right direction.
Still the fact remains that Essentials comes free with Balance and can be sold seperately. I could of course sell the OP my Balance unit without Essentials for the same price without a problem, and get myself a new one...

MrFigg 2013-02-13 18:23

Or.... The op could buy the cheapest version of reason he could find second hand eg Reason 2 for 30 or 40 quid on eBay (maybe :) ). Register that. Buy balance. Upgrade the cheap second hand version of Reason to Reason 6.5 for free then sell the license for a bit cheaper than it would normally cost. Hmmm. Might work. Of course he'd have to also supply his ignition key but that wouldn't be a problem because he'd have Balance.

reasoner498 2013-02-13 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFigg (Post 1237225)
Or.... The op could buy the cheapest version of reason he could find second hand eg Reason 2 for 30 or 40 quid on eBay (maybe :) ). Register that. Buy balance. Upgrade the cheap second hand version of Reason to Reason 6.5 for free then sell the license for a bit cheaper than it would normally cost. Hmmm. Might work. Of course he'd have to also supply his ignition key but that wouldn't be a problem because he'd have Balance.

If you mean sell the Essentials license after using it to upgrade Reason 2 to Reason 6, i don't think you can do that... at least not from my interaction with Propellerhead support.

I had 2 Essentials from Balance, and used one to upgrade a copy of Reason 3 to Reason 6. When I asked Prop support which Essentials license I was allowed to transfer without affecting my Reason license, they only told me 1 serial number... the one that wasn't used for the upgrade.

ymmv...

MrFigg 2013-02-13 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by reasoner498 (Post 1237277)
If you mean sell the Essentials license after using it to upgrade Reason 2 to Reason 6, i don't think you can do that... at least not from my interaction with Propellerhead support.

I had 2 Essentials from Balance, and used one to upgrade a copy of Reason 3 to Reason 6. When I asked Prop support which Essentials license I was allowed to transfer without affecting my Reason license, they only told me 1 serial number... the one that wasn't used for the upgrade.

ymmv...

He could go through the same steps. Keep the upgraded Reason (cheap Reason 2 upgraded to 6.5 for free from essentials) but sell the Reason 6.5 which he already owns just now.