Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cleaning up Mix Channels (Experts only;) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=176350)

itierney 2013-02-17 19:45

Cleaning up Mix Channels (Experts only;)

Hey this is kind of a complicated. I have a reason file that demonstrates what I'm talking about but here goes...
I'm still not 100% sure why we need a mix channel device (before there was just a cable to the mixer!)
I find having a mix channel device and the instrument a bit redundant, You have 2 devices where in older versions of reason you had one.
Anyway to clean up the rack I have started putting the instrument inside the mix channel device. This makes my rack a bit cleaner.
This works fine except when my instrument is a combinator. I drag the combinator into its mix channel device. It seems to just get rid of the original combinator and the mix channel becomes the combinator. This is fine except all the midi data I have recorded on the original combinator just disappears!
So I'm thinking the mix channel combinator doesn't have a midi in?
Whats going on ...Any thoughts?

DjVinnie91 2013-02-17 21:11

Here's a post I posted on another forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjVinnie91
The send FX can drastically reduce CPU usage.

There's nothing wrong with the aesthetics. The Mixer channel device *IS* your mixer channel. Just separated to a rack device and a mixer slider

Combinator can have midi notes, mixer channel can't, because the mixer channel is for the mixer, not for instruments. Midi you send to the mixer channel go straight to the the mixer. It may look like you turn knobs on the device in the rack, but that's only because those are the same buttons on your mixer. (Insert FX)

The audio goes into your mixer channel. Your mixer channel sends it to the master channel, which sends it to your Audio Driver.

Maybe it helps a bit.

itierney 2013-02-20 15:31

I can put other devices (an NNXT) inside the mixer channel and still have them receive the midi? The track remains sending its midi to the NNXT or whatever. What I think is happening is when I try put a combinator into the mix device it deletes the combinator and the midi track. Why does it do this?

Exowildebeest 2013-02-20 20:53

The combinator space in the Mix Channel is meant for insert FX, not for instruments (although due to Reason modularity, you could put them there).

My personal preference is to put all instruments in Combinators, which are attached to their respective Mix Channels. Those Mix Channels then feed to a few mixer racks via their direct outs, for grouping. These mixer racks then feed to Mix Channels again.

domain 2013-02-20 22:38

Besides the odd experimentation with reason's more drastic effects, I reckon that if you stick to using the mix channel for insert effects only and leave the rest as send effects then forget what your rack looks like - your mix will instantly sound better

OMOMs 2013-02-21 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by itierney (Post 1241240)
I can put other devices (an NNXT) inside the mixer channel and still have them receive the midi? The track remains sending its midi to the NNXT or whatever. What I think is happening is when I try put a combinator into the mix device it deletes the combinator and the midi track. Why does it do this?

well the mix channel device is essentially an FX combinator (plus a mixer channel in the mixer window).
sadly you can't put a combinator into a combinator. therefore no combinator in the mix channel devices.
actually what happens if you try and put the combinator into the mixer channel is the same that happens, when you try and put a combinator inside another combinator.
Think about it.
If you like that kind of workflow, you can have a Rack column dedicated to mixer channel devices, and you'll have essentially the same workflow as before, only you have mixer with way more controls in a seperate window.
I tend to keep my instruments and mixer channel devices stacked, because I find it 'tidier'.

scifunk 2013-02-21 01:50

How I understand it is you have a mix channel device primarily for insert fx. If you just lump everything in a combinator/mix channel you cant choose where in the channel path your insert fx go.

pjeudy 2013-02-21 07:49

Mix channel is a complete waist !!!!

it's just a design issue to me .. REASON needs a super combinator that has all the features of a standard combinator and the mix Channel all in one !!!

This is not hardware it's software, props have a little more flexibility to add both together..I hate the MIX CHANNELS !!

I hate clicking on them by mistake when I have a 32 tracks project ! 32 combinators plus mix channels equals 64 devices in the rack! never mind what's in them.

electricfusion 2013-02-21 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjeudy (Post 1241844)

it's just a design issue to me .. REASON needs a super combinator that has all the features of a standard combinator and the mix Channel all in one !!!

This is not hardware it's software, props have a little more flexibility to add both together..I hate the MIX CHANNELS !!

I hate clicking on them by mistake when I have a 32 tracks project ! 32 combinators plus mix channels equals 64 devices in the rack! never mind what's in them.

As it has been said here in this thread the mix channel is the rack equivalent of the channel
strip of the SSL mixer thus getting rid of it is pointless.

The mix channel has some unique features,just flip the rack around,which a "normal" combinator doesn´t have (and vice versa) thus if PH would create a super combinator,as you requested, this might lead to confusion as people might mistake features belonging to the mix section or the instrument section for other purposes and wonder why it doesn´t work.

There´s a little arrow on the left side of any Reason device,if you click on it you´re minimizing the device and ...well...so you´re cleaning up your cluttered rack.Simple as that.

OMOMs 2013-02-21 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjeudy (Post 1241844)

I respect your opinion.
However I personally think the addition of the mix channel devices is brilliant!
if they weren't there, there would be no way of using the channel compressor to do sidechaining, no way of using cv to automate panning or level.
Also only because of the mix channel, we can record internal signals, use the send effects, to create feedback loops, et cetera.
How else would you like to see those features integrated into the rack?
You must put the cables somewhere right? Else the Rack metaphor would be obsolete?