Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   First song in Reason - On Fire (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=176351)

koshal 2013-02-17 20:15

First song in Reason - On Fire
 
I've been messing around with Reason and music production for awhile, but due to my massive ADD and rampant perfectionism, I haven't actually finished a whole song until now. All composition / instrumentation was done in Reason. Vocals were tracked and edited in StudioOne.



Direct link: http://youtu.be/lhuSB0Nqw4U

K1TTENM1TTEN 2013-02-18 00:14

Hey man! I think it is awesome that 1) you had the balls to post a song you are working on, 2) recorded your own vocals, and 3) shared it with us all. I may be saying what nobody else wants to say here (or may just be saying something that is purely my opinion), but I figured that if someone puts up a song, they probably want an honest critique; and I would only hope that someone would do the same for me. Your instrumentation and levels on this track are actually pretty solid man. Its not quite my style, but I can appreciate the vibe and the time you put into for sure. But I think the vocals honestly kill the track. Your recording quality of the vocals is great by the way! But right at 2:22 you start using auto tune. Honestly, I would either suggest auto-tuning the vocals for the entire song or maybe mess with vocoding the whole thing, because as much as I hate to say it, as the song is in its current state the vocals feel flat, monotone, and lack the "umph" to really support them being in there. Everything about the song has a very well rounded sound, but those vocals are the part that would make it hard for me to want to put it on my iPod and listen to it again. I know that is probably what you did not want to hear, but, I just wanted to be honest. I think the track has some real potential man and keep up the solid work!

koshal 2013-02-18 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by K1TTENM1TTEN (Post 1239830)
Hey man! I think it is awesome that 1) you had the balls to post a song you are working on, 2) recorded your own vocals, and 3) shared it with us all. I may be saying what nobody else wants to say here (or may just be saying something that is purely my opinion), but I figured that if someone puts up a song, they probably want an honest critique; and I would only hope that someone would do the same for me. Your instrumentation and levels on this track are actually pretty solid man. Its not quite my style, but I can appreciate the vibe and the time you put into for sure. But I think the vocals honestly kill the track. Your recording quality of the vocals is great by the way! But right at 2:22 you start using auto tune. Honestly, I would either suggest auto-tuning the vocals for the entire song or maybe mess with vocoding the whole thing, because as much as I hate to say it, as the song is in its current state the vocals feel flat, monotone, and lack the "umph" to really support them being in there. Everything about the song has a very well rounded sound, but those vocals are the part that would make it hard for me to want to put it on my iPod and listen to it again. I know that is probably what you did not want to hear, but, I just wanted to be honest. I think the track has some real potential man and keep up the solid work!


Hey man, no prob. I'm open to any and all feedback. Thanks for taking a listen and writing up a detailed critique. Much appreciated!

AnthonyMichaelAngelo 2013-02-18 01:35

For your first track, THIS is GOOD. My first recordings were garbage compared to this. This is something to be proud of creating. Good quality for the vibe of the track as a whole.

Well done dude.

koshal 2013-02-18 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyMichaelAngelo (Post 1239872)
For your first track, THIS is GOOD. My first recordings were garbage compared to this. This is something to be proud of creating. Good quality for the vibe of the track as a whole.

Well done dude.

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback.

vanKloot 2013-02-18 06:56

I like this a LOT... which kinda surprises me as it's not quite my usual taste. Maybe it's what I keep hearing going along side it in my head... I keep hearing it explode into an absolutely epic prog/big beat house track.

In that context, I actually like that the vocals are a bit "flat" and imperfect. The counterpoint of somewhat "amateur" sounding male vocals and really tight, hard-hitting electronica, is in my opinion a pretty wicked combination.

I'd be interested maybe in doing a remix of this, if you were ever interested in allowing that. This track spoke to me somehow... and I'd love to answer it. ;)

pastoreric 2013-02-18 06:59

My hat goes off to you, great effort! I can honestly feel where you are wanting to take this. I am a very eclectic producer and writer, so I can really appreciate various styles of musical art.

Work on the melody's deliverance (singing), only because it sounds as if you are "reading" the lyrics and the lyrics (melody) should flow and sound natural, as if you're speaking to the listener. Once again, I am a fan of this particular genre and style (although I don't get the opportunity to produce it much), so I' not trying to be cynical.

I can't wait to hear what it sounds like after you complete it. I hope you post it for us to enjoy!

koshal 2013-02-18 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanKloot (Post 1239972)
I like this a LOT... which kinda surprises me as it's not quite my usual taste. Maybe it's what I keep hearing going along side it in my head... I keep hearing it explode into an absolutely epic prog/big beat house track.

In that context, I actually like that the vocals are a bit "flat" and imperfect. The counterpoint of somewhat "amateur" sounding male vocals and really tight, hard-hitting electronica, is in my opinion a pretty wicked combination.

I'd be interested maybe in doing a remix of this, if you were ever interested in allowing that. This track spoke to me somehow... and I'd love to answer it. ;)

Thanks...sure thing, I think it'd be really cool if you did a remix. Just let me know what you'd need from me (ie acapellas, instrumental etc)

koshal 2013-02-18 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastoreric (Post 1239974)
Work on the melody's deliverance (singing), only because it sounds as if you are "reading" the lyrics and the lyrics (melody) should flow and sound natural, as if you're speaking to the listener.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Looks like there is a common sentiment that my vocal performance is pretty lifeless on this track. I'm starting to wonder if I may have killed the performance with too much pitch correction. (After 2:22 I used autotune as an "effect" but before that I pitch corrected manually with melodyne...and pretty aggressively at that)

Could you guys do me a favor and listen to these two clips. The first is a snippet from the track I posted above with heavy pitch correction and the second is completely untuned and raw. Both are ran through the exact same FX chain so they are identical in every way except for the tuning on the vocals.

It will be really big help if anyone can chime in and let me know if the pitch correction is what's killing the performance. It's fine if you say the vocal still kinda sucks untuned and that I need to really work on my singing...but I just need to know how much, if any, pitch correction is playing a role in the feedback I'm getting. THANK YOU!


Tuned -
Loading SoundCloud…



Untuned -
Loading SoundCloud…

hamst3rf1sh 2013-02-18 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by koshal (Post 1240073)
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Looks like there is a common sentiment that my vocal performance is pretty lifeless on this track. I'm starting to wonder if I may have killed the performance with too much pitch correction. (After 2:22 I used autotune as an "effect" but before that I pitch corrected manually with melodyne...and pretty aggressively at that)

Could you guys do me a HUGE favor and listen to these two clips. The first is a snippet from the track I posted above with heavy pitch correction and the second is completely untuned and raw. Both are ran through the exact same FX chain so they are identical in every way except for the tuning on the vocals.

It will be a really, really big help if anyone can chime in and let me know if the pitch correction is what's killing the performance. It's fine if you say the vocal still kinda sucks untuned and that I need to really work on my singing...but I just need to know how much pitch correction is playing a role in the feedback you guys are giving. THANK YOU!


Tuned -
Loading SoundCloud…



Untuned -
Loading SoundCloud…

This is much better than anything I came out with when I first started. I'd say definitely stick with the untuned vocals... in fact I'd go one further and suggest that you try adding a slight amount of detuning using the unison module (it might not work but it's certainly worth a shot).

Pitch correction generally sounds pretty naff. It's best to be out of tune and sound like you intended it that way :P

Keep it up man.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:40.