Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Some issues that are VERY frustrating. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=176468)

DjVinnie91 2013-02-19 19:08

Some issues that are VERY frustrating.
 
Scenario's

Scenario 1a.
> I start a track.
> Build something in half an hour.
> My USB stick that contains my samples somehow disconnects.
> I get the default message that a drive was disconnected improperly and it connects again. (I don't take it out.. I "touch" it, yes it's broken -need to buy a new one. No money atm)

> Can't save my file. Says:

"File not found:

The Operation could not be finished because a file could not be found"



> All done for nothing. Have to start all over again.

Scenario 1b.
> I start a track-> But save it right away.
> All goes well. Until my drive disconnects again.. somehow.
> Can't save progress...
> Find out I didn't save the progress I made since half an hour ago.
> Have to redo ALL of that AGAIN.

>>>> Fuck my life


Scenario 2a.
> Have small audio file of, like, 4mb.
> Have diskspace of like, 1GB left (Yes I paid €200 extra for a SSD of 128GB instead of a HDD of 750GB. Sue me)
> Can't import ANY audio file, because too little room left on disk. Even though the file I want to import is SOOOOO small.
> Damn

Scenario 2b < Read this one... I mean.. Seriously: What.the.fuck
> Have Thor selected in sequencer
> Press RECORD button to record MIDI (MIDI. M.I.D.I. ffs)
> Can't record because not enough diskspace left for AUDIO, it says. I want to record MIDI but I can't, because there's not enough room for AUDIO... WHY? Props, WHY?
> Fuck.My.Life


Aside from that. Reason is boss.

jkheal 2013-02-19 19:15

You're life is so tragically and supremely f*cked, it's not even funny.

I won't sue you, but how about rejoining us neanderthals and get an actual spinning hard drive? :) SSDs are for pussies. And throw away that stupid flaky USB stick!

DjVinnie91 2013-02-19 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkheal (Post 1240761)
You're life is so tragically and supremely f*cked, it's not even funny.

I won't sue you, but how about rejoining us neanderthals and get an actual spinning hard drive? :) SSDs are for pussies. And throw away that stupid flaky USB stick!

Well after two years my computer still boots in less than 15 seconds. And searching files shows all results nearly instantly. So.. The only thing I'll be going for will be SSD with more capacity.

jkheal 2013-02-19 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjVinnie91 (Post 1240762)
Well after two years my computer still boots in less than 15 seconds. And searching files shows all results nearly instantly. So.. The only thing I'll be going for will be SSD with more capacity.

Oh well I tried. But I must go now, I need shovel more coal into the steam-powered generator.

Dave909 2013-02-19 19:30

Only scenario 2b seems like a something needed fixing by the Props. All the rest are out of their control as you need the samples you use in your song to be present and the Props aren't really responsible for the cramped size of your HD :)

SteveDiverse 2013-02-19 19:47

The problem fixing 1a (and 1b, which is an identical problem) is that Reason does not connect directly to the USB stick - the OS does.

The USB stick disconnecting is most likely caused by wear and tear on the USB Port and or the USB stick plug such that plastic and/or metal have worn down just enough to make the key loose in the port.

The weight of the key, however small it is, is just enough to cause the USB stick to 'sag' enough to cause the contacts to lose contact.

Once that happens, the OS drops the device.

Once a USB stick starts disconnecting, it's time to trash it and get a new one - they're pretty inexpensive.

I suggest brands like Sandisk and Kingston, which seem to hold up pretty well.

And when you plug/un-plug them, be as gentle as possible and put them in straight as possible.

Quickly sticking them in and pulling them out especially if at an angle, can cause accelerated wear and tear on the port and stick plug, which will result in the problem occurring more frequently.

DjVinnie91 2013-02-20 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave909 (Post 1240769)
Only scenario 2b seems like a something needed fixing by the Props. All the rest are out of their control as you need the samples you use in your song to be present and the Props aren't really responsible for the cramped size of your HD :)

Yes. But since I don't want my samples to be self contained (yet), all it would need to save is the address to the sample, no? If next time it won't be there, let it fail loading NEXT time, but not when I try to save my entire song.

And that's right, they're not. But that's no excuse for them to tell me I can't load a sample BEFORE they even check how large the sample is? I mean, for a company that makes such a huge piece of software, it isn't weird for me to think they could've written it in such way, that I could still browse my samples, and if it would be too big, it would say so AFTER I try to load it. Not before. It's a huge bias. Almost discrimination against smaller sized samples.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDiverse (Post 1240782)
The problem fixing 1a (and 1b, which is an identical problem) is that Reason does not connect directly to the USB stick - the OS does.

The USB stick disconnecting is most likely caused by wear and tear on the USB Port and or the USB stick plug such that plastic and/or metal have worn down just enough to make the key loose in the port.

The weight of the key, however small it is, is just enough to cause the USB stick to 'sag' enough to cause the contacts to lose contact.

Once that happens, the OS drops the device.

Once a USB stick starts disconnecting, it's time to trash it and get a new one - they're pretty inexpensive.

I suggest brands like Sandisk and Kingston, which seem to hold up pretty well.

And when you plug/un-plug them, be as gentle as possible and put them in straight as possible.

Quickly sticking them in and pulling them out especially if at an angle, can cause accelerated wear and tear on the port and stick plug, which will result in the problem occurring more frequently.

This is all true. And I have been looking for a new device already. A classmate of mine dropped my laptop a while back and since that time my USB stick is really sensitive to the lightest touch. Which is a huge pita. (No homo)

But thanks for the reply. I was looking into sandisk. Those look quite useful.

Dave909 2013-02-20 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjVinnie91 (Post 1240942)
Yes. But since I don't want my samples to be self contained (yet), all it would need to save is the address to the sample, no? If next time it won't be there, let it fail loading NEXT time, but not when I try to save my entire song.

Well look at it this way. Reason is working with the adress of the samples, which get disconnected before saving. I can imagine a problem with saving then. I agree that it's strange that you can't load samples before Reason even knows the size of the samples you want to load. There might be a reason tho. Maybe the space left is the absolute minimum required for Reason to work (thinking swap file here).


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:32.