Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Reason "System Tray" icon in the Notification Area (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=176496)

danktle 2013-02-20 01:38

Reason "System Tray" icon in the Notification Area

One thing I cannot stand is that when working on a PC, if you close the last song/project (as in, you don't have any songs/projects open) you have entirely closed Reason.

Back in the day, there was an Application Window that kept the Reason engine loaded in the ram so that you could easily close out of one song and move to another (In fact, every other DAW you know and love still works in this fashion.) This enabled you to work on one project at a time, instead of having to "leap frog" from one project to another like you have to do now if you don't wish to exit Reason.

On a Mac, I understand this is not a problem. The Reason engine stays loaded until you quit Reason from the top menu. However, on a PC, if you close the only or last song you have open, you have to start from scratch just to open another song. This means waiting for Reason to load all over again.

I can see how *not* having an application window makes the program feel a little more sleek, but at the expense of having to restart the program over and over, or face always having to have one project open? Yeah... not so sleek.

So what I propose is a Reason Icon in the system tray area that will allow you to access a condensed version of the "File" menu. From here, you will be able to create a new song, load songs from your project folder, save songs, see recently opened projects, and best of all, Reason will not unload until you exit the program from the system tray.

I can virtually guarantee that this simple measure will make everyone into a trillionaire.

jkheal 2013-02-20 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by danktle (Post 1240966)
One thing I cannot stand is that when working on a PC, if you close the last song/project (as in, you don't have any songs/projects open) you have entirely closed Reason.

This "feature" is annoying.

MayorMcCheese 2013-02-20 01:55

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...nds#post853428

danktle 2013-02-23 22:12

Ha! You don't expect me to sift through the forum looking for topics from years back, do you? And if so, you might want to check my Join date. I suggested this when they first released Reason 3 as well. Actually, I beta tested it, and as I recall, the decision to get rid of the application window wasn't implemented until the Release Candidates started rolling out...

It's still worth bringing up because I don't know of any DAW that works this way, and I don't see why it can't be done in a more common sense fashion. Good to know that others feel the same way.

MayorMcCheese 2013-02-23 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by danktle (Post 1243543)
Ha! You don't expect me to sift through the forum looking for topics from years back, do you? And if so, you might want to check my Join date. I suggested this when they first released Reason 3 as well. Actually, I beta tested it, and as I recall, the decision to get rid of the application window wasn't implemented until the Release Candidates started rolling out...

It's still worth bringing up because I don't know of any DAW that works this way, and I don't see why it can't be done in a more common sense fashion. Good to know that others feel the same way.

What the hell was that all about?

danktle 2013-02-26 01:16

Ha! You expect me to return to this post and see your reply and not know what you mean, don't you? I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes what you don't say says more than what you do say, know what I'm sayin'?

You ain't the king of me. In fact, I'm going to completely ignore that last post, because all you're trying to do now is get a rise out of me for some sick reason. Are you some kind of psycho or something? Do you know how long I've been the king of Reason 6.5.3? Since at least 100 years ago. Probably 200, just to be sure. And probably a few years that I completely forgot about. On both platforms.

So think about that the next time you reply to me. You're just gonna get ignored again. You're not even worth replying to, so I'm not going to bother.

/rant
/deranged psychosis
/sarcasm

(Really, I just felt like being pissy for some reason. You can't tell what someone means when they say very little, and I got the impression that you were being coy, as if to point out that I had overlooked something. No worries at all. If nothing else, I wanted to *bump* the thread anyway. Hopefully they come up with a better solution...)

MayorMcCheese 2013-02-26 02:26

Look, asshole: I take the time to point you to a thread with the solution for “your issue” about Windows closing Reason if you don’t open a blank file and minimize it and then you come back with your self-gratifying bullshit. Go to hell, and only one person out of 114 views seems to agree with your ignorance. I expect that the world is probably a better place that Windows closes you out anyway; so yes, please ignore my well meant offer to assist.

jkheal 2013-02-26 02:47

Well, not to get in the middle of you guys's most excellent battle royale, but I reckon I was hearkening back to ye olde days of the Multiple Document Interface (MDI), where the application "framed" and sat behind the document window(s). For whatever reason, such an interface is apparently considered archaic now (with a few notable holdouts, like Photoshop), and even (recent versions of) MS's Office products work the same as Reason, in that if you close your only open Word document, no more Word.

MayorMcCheese 2013-02-26 03:16

jkheal - You are a fine fellow and I see what you mean about the older MDI methodology. scrag, who is Propellerhead, says here https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showpost.php?p=614281&postcount=10 that it’s Microsoft who told Propellerhead to do it the way things are now set up, which is with the SDI model.

danktle 2013-02-26 03:31

As I explained, my first reply was overly pissy, and the second reply is clearly a joke, (and even contains end-tags and a post script where I explain my overt pissiness.)

Oh well. You can't have any fun these days.

Or can you? :p

----------------------------

Anyway, I hear you jkheal, and regardles Mayor, rest assured that I'm kidding in my last post. Even so, I'm not too terribly keen on the idea of having a blank "placeholder" open so that I can move between projects. I see where that would consume minimal resources, and is a neat workaround, but I still think they can do better.

My bad for the horseplay. But check in the bottom little section of my last post there where I indicate that I might be joking. As I said, in the FIRST reply I was pissy for the reasons I mentioned. Don't sweat it, I'm not even close to being upset here.