Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Importing MIDI, too many combinators, sometimes with no sound (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=176557)

GrandmaGertie 2013-02-20 22:34

Importing MIDI, too many combinators, sometimes with no sound

Hello,

I have reason 5, my question is about importing MIDI files,
When I import a MIDI file, there are more than the necessary amount of Combinators, and only some of them have sound, when the patch is changed to an instrument

Is there a way to just make it so, the MIDI information is put in, and you get to pick the instrument to go along with it, without any extra instruments/devices being opened up as well ?

I also have reason 2.5, and it was a lot simpler before.
Is there a way to have both 2.5 and 5 installed on the same PC ?

Thanks in advance

ArtaxUK 2013-02-20 23:04

Simplest solution:
Import your midi,
Shift select all the combinators and hit delete. All except tracks.
That'll leave you with your old-school reason look. (midi data without any combinators).

The most common problem with no sound coming out when you've chosen a combinator patch, is simply, the midi information is out of the range of the samples provided in the combinator patch. If you can't find anything suitable or don't know how to control NN-XT etc; Edit and check the piano roll to see the range the patch provides and drag-drop the imported midi sequence into an octave within the range.

Note: You can always create a new rack instrument/sampler and drag-drop the imported sequence to it's lane.

Hope that helps. (probably doesn't)

n0ahg 2013-02-20 23:44

Right click the combinator and replace it with your instrument of choice ;-)

GrandmaGertie 2013-02-20 23:51

Thanks, that sort of helped, I just don't like the extra combinators,
I wish you didn't have to manually delete them.

But I still have a problem, only one combinator has sound, the rest does not.

I tried placing the other tracks, within a higher octave, still nothing.

This is what i'm doing:

File > new
File > import midi file
I find the midi file and open it
I change the empty patches on the tracks, that have the midi data

Only one track has sound

Can I send someone my MIDI file to try to troubleshoot the problem ?
There's only 3 tracks to it, and it's only 4 bars long.

ArtaxUK 2013-02-21 14:57

Try replacing the combinator for Thor or Subtractor (anything that will play some sort of sound at any octave) and drag the imported lane that isn't playing into the thor/subtract's lane.

If you hear sound it's merely a case of the patches you're loading in the combinator doesn't have the range the midi data requires.

Then you have to buy a copy of Reason to get access to the user's forum where you'll get even more help! ;-)

reasoner498 2013-02-21 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandmaGertie (Post 1241566)
I also have reason 2.5, and it was a lot simpler before.
Is there a way to have both 2.5 and 5 installed on the same PC ?

Yes, just install them into folders named "Reason 2.5" and "Reason 5", instead of the default "Reason".