Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Organum Requiem (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=176729)

Anomecron 2013-02-23 21:48

Organum Requiem

For lovers of dark ambient, blended with classical overtones and some very fine micro-glitching to boot enjoy Organum Requiem.

Loading SoundCloud…

hamst3rf1sh 2013-02-24 13:18

Absolutely beautiful stuff mate as always. I was intrigued as to whether you've had much activity in terms of producing soundscapes (I read on your artist page that you were doing that)? I'm considering trying to get into it myself but I'm concerned as to how spiritually rewarding it is. Any chance you could provide some insight?

Anomecron 2013-02-24 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamst3rf1sh (Post 1243800)
Absolutely beautiful stuff mate as always. I was intrigued as to whether you've had much activity in terms of producing soundscapes (I read on your artist page that you were doing that)? I'm considering trying to get into it myself but I'm concerned as to how spiritually rewarding it is. Any chance you could provide some insight?

I am not quite to sure what you're referring to when you say, "Spiritually rewarding" I compose the music I love due largely to having a bit of a "fuck it" epiphany after years of chronic pancreatic disease that left me in a pretty bad state for several years.
Do I wish it was more financially rewarding (you bet) - I have poured my heart and soul into this next release ( some 30 hours a week work over 8 months ) with rough midi sketches worked on for around 2-3 months prior. This includes sound design, field recording, editing and creating custom samples, programming hardware and getting some sense of uniformity across all tracks.
I'll usually do 5-6 tracks more than will appear on a release and then strip back the work to those "best" of the bunch tracks. This time around I was particularly brutal and really pushed myself to experiment a lot (which meant taking longer to get the end results - learned some new tricks and techniques along the way though (some useful some not).
That said, this (The Desolate Sound of Extinction) is a quantum leap forward for me sonically and technically as a body of work, I had to learn Logic, wrap my head around 3 Elektron Machines and a Spectralis 2 and didn't go for easy short cuts on the sound front.
This track is all Elektron gear for the beats / static / clicks / glitching for example and I have a lot of ideas for a new release after this experience.
One thing I learned was, I interface better with hardware and get better organic development musically than working with soft synths - the results are markedly different for me (makes me wish i had never sold my hardware years ago but the medical situation forced my hand on that front).
Soundscape production is a labour of love I must confess and creating great ambience etc isn't as easy as it sounds.
The album's title track for example is an electron movement in 3 parts that plays out over 17 minutes in length and was a behemoth to mix down and produce (quite a headache actually) - I only wrangled it into being after working on it for a week, shelving it for two and then coming back with fresh ears every time over 4 months.
So I don't know if I've answered your question well or at all.
More likely than not I've just blabbered on (nothing new there).
This album has left me pretty spent after investing so much time emotionally and physically on it.
I firmly believe the end results speak for themselves. Will it find an audience ? Who knows ... the label i am on are very small and have a limited budget. I can't afford video work, nor can they so my youtube presence is non existent and I am not the best social media aficionado.
Quite frankly I don't want to be a jack of all trades and master on none and what I do in this room is my craft, I love doing it with a passion and it is my very reason for being.
I am a very miserable person without music and a studio in my life - that said i can't live on love and goodwill alone so the next release will be sometime coming as I have a mortgage to pay and bills that need to be looked after.
I'd love this to be some sort of a break through release financially - I have never broken even on anything I've invested my time in like this but truth be told I am not much good at anything else. had I not been so ill between 1999 and 2008 I would have been in much better position and had a better body of work behind me (a large portion of work close on ten years was lost/destroyed in a back up failure of epic proportions).
To anyone out there, back up on external HD media / thumb drives and DVD's also - though I've learned the hard way that certain Cdr media and older things like DAT tapes etc can corrupt also.
That said spiritually and emotionally I feel very blessed.

57 minutes condensed into 4:48-

hamst3rf1sh 2013-02-24 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anomecron (Post 1243959)
I am not quite to sure what you're referring to when you say, "Spiritually rewarding" I compose the music I love due largely to having a bit of a "fuck it" epiphany after years of chronic pancreatic disease that left me in a pretty bad state for several years.
Do I wish it was more financially rewarding (you bet) - I have poured my heart and soul into this next release ( some 30 hours a week work over 8 months ) with rough midi sketches worked on for around 2-3 months prior. This includes sound design, field recording, editing and creating custom samples, programming hardware and getting some sense of uniformity across all tracks.
I'll usually do 5-6 tracks more than will appear on a release and then strip back the work to those "best" of the bunch tracks. This time around I was particularly brutal and really pushed myself to experiment a lot (which meant taking longer to get the end results - learned some new tricks and techniques along the way though (some useful some not).
That said, this (The Desolate Sound of Extinction) is a quantum leap forward for me sonically and technically as a body of work, I had to learn Logic, wrap my head around 3 Elektron Machines and a Spectralis 2 and didn't go for easy short cuts on the sound front.
This track is all Elektron gear for the beats / static / clicks / glitching for example and I have a lot of ideas for a new release after this experience.
One thing I learned was, I interface better with hardware and get better organic development musically than working with soft synths - the results are markedly different for me (makes me wish i had never sold my hardware years ago but the medical situation forced my hand on that front).
Soundscape production is a labour of love I must confess and creating great ambience etc isn't as easy as it sounds.
The album's title track for example is an electron movement in 3 parts that plays out over 17 minutes in length and was a behemoth to mix down and produce (quite a headache actually) - I only wrangled it into being after working on it for a week, shelving it for two and then coming back with fresh ears every time over 4 months.
So I don't know if I've answered your question well or at all.
More likely than not I've just blabbered on (nothing new there).
This album has left me pretty spent after investing so much time emotionally and physically on it.
I firmly believe the end results speak for themselves. Will it find an audience ? Who knows ... the label i am on are very small and have a limited budget. I can't afford video work, nor can they so my youtube presence is non existent and I am not the best social media aficionado.
Quite frankly I don't want to be a jack of all trades and master on none and what I do in this room is my craft, I love doing it with a passion and it is my very reason for being.
I am a very miserable person without music and a studio in my life - that said i can't live on love and goodwill alone so the next release will be sometime coming as I have a mortgage to pay and bills that need to be looked after.
I'd love this to be some sort of a break through release financially - I have never broken even on anything I've invested my time in like this but truth be told I am not much good at anything else. had I not been so ill between 1999 and 2008 I would have been in much better position and had a better body of work behind me (a large portion of work close on ten years was lost/destroyed in a back up failure of epic proportions).
To anyone out there, back up on external HD media / thumb drives and DVD's also - though I've learned the hard way that certain Cdr media and older things like DAT tapes etc can corrupt also.
That said spiritually and emotionally I feel very blessed.

57 minutes condensed into 4:48-

Ha ha. That's as thorough an answer as I could reasonably have asked for. I was specifically referring to freelance work ie. whether working to someone else's brief was a worthwhile venture or whether it stifled creativity?

For what it's worth the amount of work you've put in definitely shows and I will definitely be purchasing a copy on the 4th of April when it comes out. It's very rare that I get genuinely excited about the output of other artists (that's normally reserved for Amon Tobin, Richard D James and the like). As I commented on Soundcloud you've definitely become one of my favourite musicians since I came across your stuff last month.

Best of luck finding your audience - you definitely deserve to.

Anomecron 2013-02-24 19:34

I have a piece I need to do "soon" that is meant to sound like "Secret Garden" - so yes that can make one ummmm...choke a little, but I may have a job doing an audio installation for an art exhibition based around morse code and virology (which on the other hand will be rather fun)......
I'd rather (like in the art installation piece) be approached because of what I do and my own sound than to create something that makes me feel like a cross between "Kitaro & Kenny G" but I digress :D

hamst3rf1sh 2013-02-24 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anomecron (Post 1244013)
I have a piece I need to do "soon" that is meant to sound like "Secret Garden" - so yes that can make one ummmm...choke a little, but I may have a job doing an audio installation for an art exhibition based around morse code and virology (which on the other hand will be rather fun)......
I'd rather (like in the art installation piece) be approached because of what I do and my own sound than to create something that makes me feel like a cross between "Kitaro & Kenny G" but I digress :D

Well the virology/morse code sounds like a fantastic brief to work towards. Seems like an absolute gift to the imagination. You've definitely addressed my concern about the idea anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Anomecron 2013-02-24 21:28

You're welcome

PeterLansford 2013-02-26 07:23

This is amazing. Your work is always excellent, humbling and very inspiring. Had to take another listen to your Stereospread remix too.

Anomecron 2013-02-27 03:28

Thanks Peter :)

Anomecron 2013-02-28 21:15

Video for "Organum Requiem" now online.
Enjoy