Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Searching for technical help - THOR as filter (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=176915)

AnodicHorizon 2013-02-27 18:38

Searching for technical help - THOR as filter

Hy, I use Thor after a Synthi as a HP-Filter. It works good but when I prove the waveform of the synth there are some peaks in the "minus-area" of the waveform. You don't hear them but I don't know if they do any problems when it comes to mastering.
When I use a combinator with Thor as a HP-Filter there aren't these artefacts. The problem is I can't use this kind of HP-filter (combinator with thor) in another combinator. Everybody knows this problem in reason.
It's important to have a HP-filter after the synth and before the compressor and with Thor as a filter it's the only way, isn't it?
Maybe somebody can help me.

Best Tobi

PeterLansford 2013-02-27 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnodicHorizon (Post 1245721)
Hy, I use Thor after a Synthi as a HP-Filter. It works good but when I prove the waveform of the synth there are some peaks in the "minus-area" of the waveform. You don't hear them but I don't know if they do any problems when it comes to mastering.
When I use a combinator with Thor as a HP-Filter there aren't these artefacts. The problem is I can't use this kind of HP-filter (combinator with thor) in another combinator. Everybody knows this problem in reason.
It's important to have a HP-filter after the synth and before the compressor and with Thor as a filter it's the only way, isn't it?
Maybe somebody can help me.

Best Tobi

I don't think I fully understand the dilemma here. You can't put a Combi inside of a Combi but you can have your synth Combi wired into the Thor filter Combi. Can't you just put the compressor in the second Combi after the Thor?

I personally use Synapse AF-4 for filtering. Great sound.

AnodicHorizon 2013-02-28 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterlansford (Post 1245853)
I don't think I fully understand the dilemma here. You can't put a Combi inside of a Combi but you can have your synth Combi wired into the Thor filter Combi. Can't you just put the compressor in the second Combi after the Thor?

I personally use Synapse AF-4 for filtering. Great sound.

Yes, that I can't put a Combi in a Combi is clear. The routing from a combi in another combi was a good idea but the artefacts are still there. I finished the track today and it seems that these peaks not that bad as I thought they would when I come to mastering.
60% of the track I did in Reason 4 (I switched to Reason 6 some months ago) and so I was not really motivated to give every instrument a new Reason 6-mixer-channel. I think if I had done this the problem would be solved (Because in every mixer-channel in Reason 6 already is a HP and compressor).
In new tracks I will definitely work with this cool new Reason 6-features.

Thanks again for your help!