Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Combinator: play through for Remote control (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=177596)

dioxide 2013-03-11 12:19

Combinator: play through for Remote control

As soon as you put a synth inside a Combinator you lose the ability to control it fully with Remote, at best you can map the Combinator controls to some of the controls on the synth.

It would be much better if you could assign an instrument in each Combinator to receive Remote input. This would allow you to stack effects on a synth in a Combinator and still have as much control over it as you would if it were an ordinary instrument. I find it frustrating that if I have a synth and want to add an Echo, as soon as I save it as a Combinator I only can control parameters I have mapped.

dub08 2013-03-11 13:16

+1 on this for sure!
Was just dealing with that again yesterday.

DaCapo 2013-03-12 00:15

this cant be done because you need a sequencer track for remote.
why you dont just add one for the echo?
if you want to control the combinator AND the Echo at the same time you have to program the combinator knobs OR if you have two midi devices you can lock one to the combi and one to the echo! (this is the way i do it) :)

dioxide 2013-03-12 00:20

This doesn't work with cross-device browsing. If you have a Thor and go to browse all patches, Subtractor, Combinator and so on, when you load the Combi you only have control over the Combi. I'm proposing the Combi should be capable of passing all control through to an instrument of your choosing in the Combinator. So controlling a Subtractor inside a Combinator with Remote would be the same as controlling a Subtractor with Remote.

vanKloot 2013-04-14 22:24

This would be very useful indeed in many situations. +1 for sure!

Koshdukai 2013-06-28 17:37

Unless I misunderstood this, I do this simply by creating a sequencer track for the instruments I want to control through Remote (without locking a controller to them, which is also another solution but wouldn't allow me to "navigate" the rack with Remote).

So, sometimes, I have a track for the Combinator AND a couple of tracks for some of the devices inside it that I want to control directly through Remote.

dioxide 2013-06-28 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koshdukai (Post 1347556)
Unless I misunderstood this, I do this simply by creating a sequencer track for the instruments I want to control through Remote (without locking a controller to them, which is also another solution but wouldn't allow me to "navigate" the rack with Remote).

So, sometimes, I have a track for the Combinator AND a couple of tracks for some of the devices inside it that I want to control directly through Remote.

If you have a Combinator patch that contains a single effects unit and an instrument you should be able to browse patches and have access to the full set of controls on the instrument. It's mostly a workflow thing as yes, it is possible to create a second track for the nested device. It would also allow you to lock a controller to a rack device, especially useful if you use more than one MIDI controller.

electrofux 2013-06-30 16:25

This is one of my Number 1 wishes for Reason! It would open endless possibilities to integrate Midi Hardware.

You could built the craziest combinators, whole systems and write super specialized remote codecs for different hardware devices/ipad apps.

Then you load the combi, lock your device to it and voila full control.

However this could actually even be built into the Combinator itself if it ever gets an upgrade (more knobs, buttons, cvins).

But any solution would be welcome.

P.S.:Selectable devices via Remote is another thing i wish for.