Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Song Blocks Presets (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=178504)

CharlesRES 2013-03-18 12:08

Song Blocks Presets

Hi!
When I have been making music lately I have found myself struggling with a pretty simple thing. The arrangement of the song. My chord progressions are usually too long to fit into a basic 3min song and I actually don't know where to go with it. I could listen to other music and see how they have done it but I would like to have a list of different blocks presets to choose from. For example there could be different styles of pop songs and different styles of house songs etc. to choose for your song arrangement. Off course you don't have to do this but it would be nice for someone like me to have some sort of guidance in my music making.

guitfnky 2013-03-18 18:56

if I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking for a sort of pre-set song layout? so, the Blocks themselves would be blank (just named Intro/Verse/Chorus/etc.), and then drawn into the sequencer in pre-determined structures?

so, for example, opening the Pop Song template, you might end up with 4 bars of Verse, 2 bars of Chorus, 4 bars of Verse, 4 bars Chorus, 4 bars of Bridge, and 4 bars Chorus, or something like that? then you'd just have to go into each of the Blocks to add your stuff and fill out the song.

is that right?

if so, that's a really easy thing to accomplish already. just create a different Reason session for each genre you want, add the Blocks you need, structure them in the order you like in the sequencer, and save them as separate templates. then if you want your Pop structure, for example, load up that template, do a quick save as to give it a new file name (that way you can use the template file again), and away you go.

doing this should take less than 5 minutes or so for each template.

if you're just unsure of structures that are out there, just do a search for song structures and you'll find a wealth of information.

CharlesRES 2013-03-18 20:18

Yes something like that. It would be nice to have lots of different to choose from. I guess I have to do some research in the topic. The thing is I have a very cool beat and a nice chord progression that would fit into a trance song but I don't know how to layout the song structure. I'm just out of ideas and need new ones.

guitfnky 2013-03-18 21:58

if you're looking for a one-off structure, I'd suggest just listening to a few of your favorite trance songs and mapping out the structures. then try mapping your song out in the same way(s). good luck!

CharlesRES 2013-03-20 11:09

Yes I have done that now and it feels allot better now when I have the song structure infront of me. Thank you very much.!

guitfnky 2013-03-20 14:32

my pleasure! glad it helped! :)