Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   CV as audio (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=178749)

ljekio 2013-03-21 15:40

CV as audio

I hope CV will not be different from the audio streams in the future. There plugs, cables and sample rate both CV and audio will be the same.

Tokeijikaku 2013-03-21 17:08

Not to mention full rate

Edit: I think I'm going blind.

joshuajohn89 2013-03-21 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljekio (Post 1268518)
I hope CV will not be different from the audio streams in the future. There plugs, cables and sample rate both CV and audio will be the same.

I do not mind the current convention of smaller cables for CV -in fact, it is my opinion that they should remain this way- but the inclusion of an option for 1:1 sample rate between CV & audio is something that I have wanted for a long time, so you definitely have my support here.

ljekio 2013-03-21 22:04

Smaller cables isnt problem, I think. Legacy mode for old devices and half-rack adapter from yellow CV to audio and otherwise (if it needed).
It is way to full modular compatibility when any cable you can plug into any socket.
But it only my guess.

odarmonix 2013-03-21 22:32

Agreed ! There are so many things I'd want to try that aren't even possible due to the CV rate limitation ... :(

Exowildebeest 2013-03-22 00:13

Problem might be an extreme increase in cpu use if cv were audio rate?

I think this will forever remain a pipe dream.

joshuajohn89 2013-03-22 04:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exowildebeest (Post 1268910)
Problem might be an extreme increase in cpu use if cv were audio rate?

This is why I always suggest that audio-rate CV be an option; many users will continue to be quite comfortable with CV as it is now, but for those of us who wish to experiment without such limitations upping the sample rate would be as simple as adjusting a setting in the preferences menu.

selig 2013-03-22 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuajohn89 (Post 1269017)
This is why I always suggest that audio-rate CV be an option; many users will continue to be quite comfortable with CV as it is now, but for those of us who wish to experiment without such limitations upping the sample rate would be as simple as adjusting a setting in the preferences menu.

Devices like Pulveriser and Pulsar are demonstrating that CV at audio rate has already arrived in Reason. It's up to the RE developer to choose to provide audio rate jacks for that purpose. I would think this would be a no-brainer for modular synth devices, for example. :-)

Tokeijikaku 2013-03-22 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1269252)
Devices like Pulveriser and Pulsar are demonstrating that CV at audio rate has already arrived in Reason. It's up to the RE developer to choose to provide audio rate jacks for that purpose. I would think this would be a no-brainer for modular synth devices, for example. :-)

Really, how?

Sure, the internal routing on them is full rate, but you can't take a tremor CV from one pulverizer and maintain the same rate in another.

...Or perhaps you just meant the audio jacks.

selig 2013-03-22 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokeijikaku (Post 1269403)
Really, how?

Sure, the internal routing on them is full rate, but you can't take a tremor CV from one pulverizer and maintain the same rate in another.

...Or perhaps you just meant the audio jacks.

On Pulveriser there are two control inputs that are at audio rate, one for the filter frequency and the other for the audio level/volume.

On Pulsar, the LFO has audio rate AND CV rate outputs

Both of these devices are using Rack Extension technology, so I presented them only as evidence that it's already possible to do what the OP wants - it's up to the RE developers to implement the feature or not. :-)