Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Make Rewire go both ways (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=178819)

DonaldM75 2013-03-22 15:41

Make Rewire go both ways

I use Reason inside Pro Tools. I love Reason 6.5 and the many tools it offers...a LOT. I use Rewire to route audio from Reason back into Pro Tools to either an audio or Aux track for further processing with some of my many PT plug-ins. But there are often times when I want to go the other way - send an audio signal TO Reason to use one of the many great processing features there (ie Alligator). But there's no way to use Rewire to do that. I have to export my audio track as a WAV file from PT and then import to Reason and then add the processing...and then send it back out to PT for my mixing. Pretty cumbersome.

What I don't understand is why Rewire can only go one way? Audio is audio - why can't I just send an audio signal via Rewire to an input on Reason (which you can do with external hardware (ie mics) anyway. I don't get the only 1 way thing.

Can someone explain this to me? I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Rewire be made to go both out and in. Prop-heads - you getting this????

Thanks!

marcuswitt 2013-03-22 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM75 (Post 1269286)
I use Reason inside Pro Tools. I love Reason 6.5 and the many tools it offers...a LOT. I use Rewire to route audio from Reason back into Pro Tools to either an audio or Aux track for further processing with some of my many PT plug-ins. But there are often times when I want to go the other way - send an audio signal TO Reason to use one of the many great processing features there (ie Alligator). But there's no way to use Rewire to do that. I have to export my audio track as a WAV file from PT and then import to Reason and then add the processing...and then send it back out to PT for my mixing. Pretty cumbersome.

What I don't understand is why Rewire can only go one way? Audio is audio - why can't I just send an audio signal via Rewire to an input on Reason (which you can do with external hardware (ie mics) anyway. I don't get the only 1 way thing.

Can someone explain this to me? I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Rewire be made to go both out and in. Prop-heads - you getting this????

Thanks!

I join this choir... Reason as ReWire master would be amazing. Maybe we can get it in Reason 7.5 if we do mention this often enough so that it takes PPH's nerves. :D

DonaldM75 2013-03-22 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcuswitt (Post 1269421)
I join this choir... Reason as ReWire master would be amazing. Maybe we can get it in Reason 7.5 if we do mention this often enough so that it takes PPH's nerves. :D

Well, I'm not trying to get on anyone's nerves...but I AM glad to know I'm not the only looking for this! Hopefully we can turn this duet into a choir....

vanKloot 2013-03-22 19:17

Oh you're not alone my friend, no way. For so many of us, Reason is the program we would much rather spend the majority of our time in, and certainly the program we want to mix in thanks to the SSL. But to do this, it needs to be the Rewire master. Now that we have MIDI Out, it can finally be our MIDI Master. Can Rewire be far behind?

I'm hoping not!

shawnowen 2013-03-23 02:28

I agree, reason has such a great sequencer and mixer I would rather use it as the master. Imagine that having all that reason has to offer plus being able to use other daws inside of it, why not.

I rewire ableton and reason, but I would like to sequence my entire songs in reason becasue of the regroove mixer a type a feel that I can not get out of the other daws. This would also make useing vsti possible.

This actually seems like something Propellerhead could do with cooperation of the major daws. It would give people who use reason as their center peice more creativity.

Their are alot of people who support suggestions, like the idea of vst's, and many who don't; but this is some thing I think we can all agree on

vivadangermouse 2013-03-23 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcuswitt (Post 1269421)

Reason being a Rewire master isn't enough. If a Rewire upgrade is needed then it needs to be two-way so as to simultaneously send and receive multiple channels of audio, both for FX sends and also other software sound sources.

vanKloot 2013-03-23 20:05

Agreed, and being a "Rewire Master" would, in my mind, include this functionality. It wouldn't be much of a master if it couldn't manage incoming signals from the other apps being rewired into it at the same time.

SpaceToad 2013-03-23 22:52

Reaper does have a feature called "Rearoute", which allows 2 way audio communication between Reaper and another program running their Rearoute ASIO driver (such as Reason), although so far without midi synchronization, midi out may change this however. Also, the latency is not perfect, partly because the signal has to travel to and from reaper to reason 2 or three times, once from reason to reaper and back again to use reaper as makeshift fx sends or inserts, and then again to reaper so you can hear the master out.

hapewe 2013-03-24 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanKloot (Post 1269509)
Now that we have MIDI Out, it can finally be our MIDI Master.

I´d wish Reason would be rewire master !
I´d host the few VSTs I need in Bidule rewired to Reason then, Reason being my main DAW and transmitting MIDI to Bidule.
Would save a lot of ressources available for Reason on my machine ´cause Bidule is so CPU friendly.

P.

Rman 2013-03-24 23:54

Yes rewire master please, in 7.5. Free update, of course :-)