Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Advice on getting a mic. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=179526)

mrusername 2013-03-30 21:44

Advice on getting a mic.

Hey Everyone,

I need some advice on getting a mic, The mic itself will only be used for vocals and youtube commentarys (Me and my friend will be sharing the mic 50/50 on paying it). The mics I have seen so far are blue snowball,Samson C01U. The mic I was going to get was "zoom h4n mic" but that is very pricey (£230). Would you say I am better off saving and getting the zoom h4n mic? Or are there better mics out there for me, maybe you know of even a better mic?

I have Youtubed and googled but I get a lot of mixed reviews on dose mics so maybe someone here has got one/used one and can tell me if its a boy or stay away. I do not have many music shops around me so I can not go and test mics out.

Thanks!
User

mbain 2013-03-30 23:32

I have the Blue Encore. It's an excellent mic, and it's under $100.

mrusername 2013-03-30 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by symphnymph (Post 1276934)
Shure SM58 or even an SM57 will do the trick.

Edit: Just don't buy them off eBay, buy them new from a reputable store.

Hey symphnymph,
Thanks for getting back to me!

Doing a Google I think if I had to choose one I would go with SM58, Its more isolated (Could be wrong).. Here is something to ask if I had the mic on my desk and I was doing a commentary how close would I need to be for the best sound?

mrusername 2013-03-30 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbain (Post 1276953)
I have the Blue Encore. It's an excellent mic, and it's under $100.

Hey Mbain,

Do you mean the Blue Encore 100?
And you was right they are lower then $100! Do you have a sound test?

joeyluck 2013-03-31 00:13

I just recently purchased the H4n and it is awesome. It's very versatile. Not only does it have the two onboard mics which sound great, it has two XLR inputs with phantom power. It can be used battery powered, ac powered, or usb bus powered. It can also be used as a usb mic/interface. The features and the bang for the buck for this thing are endless.

I got it so I could get recordings (voice overs and field recording), while not being tethered to my computer. I'm enjoying the freedom =)

mrusername 2013-03-31 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyluck (Post 1276981)
I just recently purchased the H4n and it is awesome. It's very versatile. Not only does it have the two onboard mics which sound great, it has two XLR inputs with phantom power. It can be used battery powered, ac powered, or usb bus powered. It can also be used as a usb mic/interface. The features and the bang for the buck for this thing are endless.

I got it so I could get recordings (voice overs and field recording), while not being tethered to my computer. I'm enjoying the freedom =)

Hey Joeyluck,

Would you say I am better off just saving up and buying a H4N? Or would you say that is a lot of money for just what I am planning on using it for?

Thanks!

mrusername 2013-03-31 01:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by symphnymph (Post 1276989)
Right up on it for the 58, the further you pull back from it the more mid/bass you get (proximity effect) the 57 is more shiny.
The reason I recommended the two Shure Mics is because they would really work well with your music projects in addition to your other endeavors.

I like Sm58 it looks/sounds like a great mic! And very low as well :)
But I worry if am too far apart from the mic I will get horribly sound quality :(

zillis 2013-03-31 04:02

I definitely need to get a H4n. Although, my mic needs are adequately met, the freedom of the H4n mic and the options are just soooooo New School!
I encourage anyone looking for a mic to look into this product to see if it fits your creation style.

joeyluck 2013-03-31 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrusername (Post 1277023)
Hey Joeyluck,

Would you say I am better off just saving up and buying a H4N? Or would you say that is a lot of money for just what I am planning on using it for?

Thanks!

I'd say look into getting it if you would like to have the extra features and flexibility.

mrusername 2013-03-31 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by symphnymph (Post 1277034)
Put a foam wind screen on it and pretend it's a super model. :-)
I still have my SM58 from the 80's. They are built like tanks.
The wind screens cave pretty easily if you drop the mic, but they are meant to. Like crumple zones in a car. I say this because if you are going to share the mic it may save you some grief down the road.

Now for the obvious...
There are a lot of great Mics out there, pick one that you think sounds good and makes you happy because at the end of the day that's what matters. It's your cash.

That is a good one, I will need to remember that lol.
When I Googled "SM58" Most of the Youtube videos/review were of guys dropping the mic or even driving over it. And I can say that is one strong mic!
But my friend only lives down the road (2 min walk) And I trust him (Seeing as he is paying 50%) that he will/should not break it.

Yes I agree there are so many mics out there. Its so hard to choose :(
I just want great sound quality is all am after.