Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Improving collaboration with Rack Extensions you don't own (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=179639)

WhiteWolf22 2013-04-01 12:22

Improving collaboration with Rack Extensions you don't own

Yesterday I received another Reason user's .reason file, he allowed me to remix one of his songs.
Well, the problem is: he uses 15(!) RE's that I don't own in this one, and I have already tried a few of them, like the Antidote, so I couldn't even play the song to listen to it.

I can understand, that the use of RE's that you don't own must be prevented, but the introduction of RE's also crippled a lot of possibilities to share your work and collaborate with other musicians.

I gave this a thought and I think, I came up with a much better solution than the one we have right now:

--------------------------

So, what if I received that .reason file, all the RE's that I don't have will be opened and working for playing back the song, but I just would not be allowed to reconnect the cables to them, could not adjust any value other than setting them to standby and the only thing I could do with them would be to delete them?

Instead of showing a placeholder, you could open them in a restricted mode, exactly with the settings and connections the author of the song gave them.
They would work to play the song and to bounce the sound into audio, but you could not actually "use" them. You could not connect them to anything else, you could not create them, and you could not change ANY of their settings. BUT you could listen to what the author of the song file did and collaborate by bouncing the audio.

Please give this a thought.

By locking all of the controls AND connections, you would still make the plugin unusable for anything else, but you would not hurt collaboration, as the placeholders currently do.

-----------------------------------------------

EDIT:

To go even further in terms of preventing to use them without owning them, you could lock the editing features for all items in the sequencer, that have such a restricted Rack Extension in the instrument / effects chain. When you delete it, you can edit the notes for example. But as long as there is a RE that you don't have, you could only listen to, what the song file's author made.

nickmorgan19457 2013-04-01 12:35

This could be dealt with by having a one-click print track option. This would mean that you didn't have to download every RE the other person has and wouldn't require any modification to the REs themselves.

normen 2013-04-01 12:42

..or you just log in with that users account?

From my point of view as a mixer theres two options generally: a) Do it like you would with any DAW, namely let the client bounce all stems as audio files. b) Use his setup/computer or route it directly into your mixer.

The thing is that if you are a musician/sound designer and want to continue work on the piece you'll need the instruments anyway and if you're not the audio stems will be fine.

WhiteWolf22 2013-04-01 12:49

I still think that this restricted mode would be a better solution than the placeholders.

1) You could see, how other musicians make use of the plugins - and maybe learn from that and decide the RE is more useful than you thought
2) You can play their .reason files back and
3) You could bounce the stems that you need on your own. Less work for the original author.

WhiteWolf22 2013-04-01 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by normen (Post 1278071)
..or you just log in with that users account?

I don't know if you do such things, but sharing your account information is not clever, and I highly doubt that anyone will do that.

normen 2013-04-01 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWolf22 (Post 1278075)
I don't know if you do such things, but sharing your account information is not clever, and I highly doubt that anyone will do that.

Erm.. Thats what its for, running it on different computers..

Situation is: Client sits next to me and logs into his account or just borrows me his key for that time, no license violated, no license "shared".

WhiteWolf22 2013-04-01 13:15

But I talk about collaborations with musicians across the globe, this nice guy isn't even on the same continent as me. So it is very unlikely that I will find him sitting next to me to enter his account information. :-)

normen 2013-04-01 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWolf22 (Post 1278088)
But I talk about collaborations with musicians across the globe, this nice guy isn't even on the same continent as me. So it is very unlikely that I will find him sitting next to me to enter his account information. :-)

Still no problem, just change the account password afterwards or let him log in via VNC if he's ultra-shy. But as said, I'd always go the stem route if the communication is that complicated, if he's not there he can't even listen if the song plays right. Thats why I said *his* computer/setup.

WhiteWolf22 2013-04-01 13:40

It's basically impossible that the song would not play right, if all the RE's were there and set as he saved the song file.

It should in *no way* be necessary to do anything with the account. Especially if you work with people you don't know. Changing account passwords to collaborate is as unacceptable as doing a VNC session just to log someone else in on your account.

With the restricted mode for RE's that you don't own, everything required would be right inside Reason and all you would need to do is to share a .reason file. I can't understand why you don't see advantages here.

normen 2013-04-01 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWolf22 (Post 1278100)
It's basically impossible that the song would not play right, if all the RE's were there and set as he saved the song file.

It should in *no way* be necessary to do anything with the account. Especially if you work with people you don't know. Changing account passwords to collaborate is as unacceptable as doing a VNC session just to log someone else in on your account.

With the restricted mode for RE's that you don't own, everything required would be right inside Reason and all you would need to do is to share a .reason file. I can't understand why you don't see advantages here.

I wonder what you'd do when the other user has another DAW, is that "unacceptable" per se? I don't see the advantage of unchangeable devices over a bounced file, no.

What I do see is some reasons for RE developers getting suspicious about the safety of their code :)

For example what would stop people from making a Reason file with the uber mastering chain in it or the coolest Bitspeek presets for people to route their sound through it? You could make songs with every preset for every device.. Even if they have to record it outside of Reason, many do that via ReWire etc anyway. So really, I don't see this happening ^^