Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Saving files without audio clips. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=180494)

ETalk 2013-04-13 13:39

Saving files without audio clips.

Hi,

Very simple request for the PHeads.

Can we have the option to save Reason files with or without Audio clips please? This would address the large file size problems that a lot of people are experiencing and also improve collaboration possibilities for users.

I think that a lot of users might be interested in having this feature in Reason.

Please add your support!!

Matt

LfO128 2013-04-13 14:24

+1

Needed for various reasons.

moofi 2013-04-13 18:08

Allight :)

wearashirt 2013-04-13 20:32

+1 too! My other big project has a huge load of audio clips. It's probably 2 gigs in size. Having them in one place is great, unlike back in the day when you accidentally choose your desktop as your save folder and find a ton of audio clips after you record). But exporting only the midi and mix data is bettter! :D

ETalk 2013-04-15 15:06

Bump to the top of the list.

Come on people add your support please, you know that this is important!!!!

If you don't understand then please feel free to ask :)

Matt

omshanti20 2013-04-15 15:12

jhenshaw4 2013-04-18 00:06

Isn't this already a feature? I know you can choose whether or not to save all the samples used in the project with the file or not...

ETalk 2013-04-18 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenshaw4 (Post 1290467)
Isn't this already a feature? I know you can choose whether or not to save all the samples used in the project with the file or not...

Yes if I'm correct in guessing what you're talking about, you mean 'Self contain settings' which means that you don't have to go searching for your audio wav file samples when you reopen that song file or send it to someone else.
I'm talking about being able to save just the song files 'without' the audio files. To keep the midi and song data in fact. The problem lies mostly in having massive files thanks to the audio wav clips in the song files. If you look around these forums you will see many talking about this problem of having song files that can be upto 5 GB in size for big projects.

Here is a post from Selig in the thread that urged me to write this one:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's been plenty of features suggestions for this since Record was introduced, but the more the merrier!?! ;-)

In addition to exporting the song data minus the audio data, I also want the ability to switch between different "versions" of a song file without closing/opening/loading all the audio files, so you can keep multiple mix versions in the same song file and switch relatively quickly between them.

And of course for collaborations to actually work, you need to be able to do something with that .rns file your collaborator just sent you or it's all worthless! To that end we need to be able to import just the song data (or just parts of the song data) into our existing song files to make the collaboration process complete. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers :)

JustinCorza 2013-04-18 15:26

I'm not sure if this is possible and I just don't know how to do it, but what I'd like to see is the ability to remove unused parts of audio clips without having to bounce them. Let's say I have some vocals that I don't like that much and I only want to use some of the words or phrases, so I don't need the whole X mb of vocals in my project file.

QVprod 2013-04-18 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinCorza (Post 1290844)
I'm not sure if this is possible and I just don't know how to do it, but what I'd like to see is the ability to remove unused parts of audio clips without having to bounce them. Let's say I have some vocals that I don't like that much and I only want to use some of the words or phrases, so I don't need the whole X mb of vocals in my project file.

I think 'Save and optimize' in the file menu does this