Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Reason Needs These Changes (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=181145)

DynamicDontPanic 2013-04-22 21:32

Reason Needs These Changes

EDIT: I don't mean to sound so bossy in this, please be assured that any bossiness is for comic effect / dramatic emphasis! And yeah for the conceivable future it won't matter to me whether these are implemented or not, as l'm happy enough with all the features l can use / all the features l have yet to explore. So these suggestions are really "take it or leave it, l'm happy either way"

Hiya,

I understand that this will incite some amount of negativity, but as a music tech n00b l think l have a precious perspective on things. And yeah, l've known about these problems since around 2004 but l still eventually purchased Reason.

I would like Reason to make a few changes. If l remember rightly, l'm not actually entitled to cheap upgrades for Reason, as l'm on a student licence. So l hope you see that l am trying to be altruistic here by making these suggestions:

# Screen size: sort it out, seriously. Whether two columns of racks are used or just one, make the display fill the whole screen. And preferably, have one column with the racks wide enough to fit the whole screen. I know other DAWs have small discrete racks, but Reason is rack-focused and we are well into the touchscreen era. And personally, l find the concept of two columns confusing. I mean, it's hard enough thinking about all the wires at the back, but then you have two columns ...

# Touchscreen: sort it out! For every aspect of operation. Will bring you closer to tablet PC implementation too but that's just an asides, l'd love to have touchscreen-ready Reason on a 24-inch HP Touchsmart computer. Apart from Tablet PCs, DAWs are the *biggest* application for touchscreens as far as l am concerned. I mean, software was supposed to supplant hardware right? Touchscreen completely closes the gap between software and hardware - esp. multitouch.

# Recording area:
Must be floatable, and most importantly: Make the display M*A*S*S*I*V*E. I want to see waveform displays showing artefacts from crickets chirping on the lawn outside the recording studio. At present, the recording screen just looks weird and unnatural, like staring down at shipping containers from a space station. Also l don't want zoom in / zoom out to be a special reward for a zillion mouse clicks. I want fast fast fast zoom in / zoom out, and l want a good level of zoom by default. I recommend copying AcidPro's setup - it is a much overlooked program today, esp. because Sony took it over and the original team have all gone (?). With Acid Pro, you can zoom the x-axis (horizontal zoom, zoom into time axis) by pressing the magifying glass at top of sample screen (not weirdly tucked away to one side) OR by using the middle mouse wheel if you have one. Let me tell you, that middle mouse wheel functionality is fantastic. And if you want y-axis zoom (vertical zoom, increase displayed height of a soundwave), you need only drag down the lower edge of the track's border, and the track increases in height. Simple!

I also want to be able to see loop blocks clearly defined in the recording area, as they are on Acid Pro and Ableton. You know, the way a complete loop looks like a cartouche. I've heard Reason lets you beat sync. Well that is good, but l've not looked into it. I'm guessing it's not simple like in Acid Pro, where you import a sample, select whether to beatmap / loop it or make it a one shot etc. and then go ahead and paint it on the channel. If you elected to loop it, then it automatically beat matches the existing samples in the other channels.

# Record What U Hear: Apparently this will be simplified in Reason 7, but l've a funny feeling it won't be done properly, probably will be half disabled through paranoia - let's face it, even operating systems and manufacturers are hiding their soundcard controls now to make Record What U Hear as esoteric as possible to prevent people copying Shania Twain's back crapalogue of "hits". How about this: A simple red or blue button that records whatever is playing right now. No, really, whatever is playing right now, whether FX mono ring modulation is added to it or whether it is MIDI synced with some duplex technotronic rack extension, whatever you can hear right now, is what will be recorded.

# Autotune: Have this: Select input as mic. Then you are asked if want to autotune incoming vocals and further, if you want to add phaser FX or whatever it is they use on those cool vocoders in electro music. This would not just benefit vocalists, but users who don't even want to make vocals will be encouraged to have a laugh and try it out. After all, Reason is so-called because it "does everything within Reason".

# Audio to MIDI: Enough said. And there are freeware tools for doing this, in the Lua programming language l think, and probably others. So as with a lot of these ideas, much of the work has already been done for you, in the freeware world.

# Beatmatch: Audio in and MIDI in, once recorded, should have beatmatch / one shot as a simple right mouse option, i.e. done in two clicks after selecting a recorded area.

# DJing: Either put in some decks with a beat slicer grid added, or make it blatantly obvious and easy to sync Reason with Virtual DJ and other such programs.

# Sample editor: Yes l understand Recycle is out there and Audacity is free. But Reason needs a basic sample editor for completeness, one with the following features:

For entire sample OR for selected part:
* Increase amplitude
* Decrease amplitude
* Add amplitude curve, user-drawn
[* Assign some existing FX to the curve instead of making it an amplitude curve?]
* Fade in
* Fade out
* Cut
* Copy
* Paste
* Reverse
* Mix with another sample / another part of a sample
* Loop (forward / forward-back)
* Apply delta filter (a sort of muting, de-hissing effect)
* Sharpen (converse of delta filter)

Even without the FX, part, l could turn white noise into a piano using these simple functions. Even without mixing with another sample. So l think Reason needs this, simple but powerful.

Or are you scared ppl will sample the Refills and thereby steal them? Nobody cares, samples are everywhere.

# Rack extensions: inspired by Ableton selling extras? But the dollar chase ended up in some of Ableton's team separating and making Bitwig (chasing the dollar for better or for worse - and it looks lovely - that's beyond the scope of what l'm saying here, l have Ableton and l love it, l have Reason and l love it, if l had another program, l would love it, because l would have checked it out in advance and my loving it would be why l bought it). Bitwig version 12.6.3 will die away and so eventually will its successor. Gratis stuff is what sets my pulse racing - as a newbie, it creates good feeling (thanks for the free sounds by the way, Propellerheads, some nice stuff there). I'm sure professional musicians have deep pockets and more discernment than me, but for me, the concept of a shop for Rack extensions is a little disheartening even if really complex professional tools are on sale.

If you want a multiplicity of extensions, then open Reason up to a well-known scripting language. I dunno anything about scripting apart from some languages can be used in audio to make add-ons that can work on a variety of music programs. It would be nice to see a user repository of free tools, all with bugs of course, but they work and they get better every month as users build on them in their spare time, and they cover every aspect of music and then some. And it's all free, free as in beer and free as in freedom. What's not to like?

P.S. I'm not saying all add-on tools should be free. Just that users should have a scripting language available and a free tool repository to showcase their efforts. All this alongside commercial products that of course will be more polished and bug-free. I repeat that l hope the scripting language will create tools for other DAWs too, thus giving that extra appeal. I think Lua is a good one from what l've seen (works with another DAW called Renoise, which is tracker-based, quite cute), but there is also Pure Data. I'm no expert.

# VST support: I'm a total newbie here and l don't know VST from DST but there are tools out there which can be used to create as many VST instruments as you want, the one l'm looking at looks a bit like Pure Data but with pretty colours for the dials etc. So l think Reason needs VST support.

# Output channel for your USB soundcard: Make selecting a soundcard channel for output simpler. I don't know the ins and outs of it (pun) but just do it. Like, for each instrument, have an LCD display saying "This instrument is going to channel 4". But no, instead we have to press tab, look at the back and then mess up our day.

# Matrix sequencer: Gotta be a way of recording the note-by-note output of the Matrix sequencer, at the time cursor. Perhaps keeping it as a "Live" Matrix sequencer as opposed to the "Pattern" Matrix sequencer that we have anyway. Must be able to copy and paste from the Live version back to the Pattern version. Must be able to randomise pitches on both Matrix sequencer versions, not just randomise pitches. Any recording on the Live version must still indicate the "block" structure as markers. Please search my other posts for more on the Matrix sequencer suggestions.

Original Matrix = "Pattern" Matrix

Second Matrix = "Live" Matrix, recording all MIDI notes played at time cursor point on the Pattern Matrix, as one long piano roll, for as long as the recording continues

Recording section = Waveform of the Pattern Matrix + Instrument (e.g. Subtractor) combination, or blank if nothing is connected to the Pattern Matrix. Remember, the Live Matrix will already have a record of any live MIDI note sequencing.

Extra option: Ability to link the Live Matrix to any new instrument and render the waveform right away. Then when "Record" is pressed, the waveform recording continues from the time cursor on the Pattern Matrix for that instrument. [For a Live Matrix to exist, there must always be a Pattern Matrix automatically set up that it feeds off the moment the "Record" button is pressed]

Extra option: Parts of any Live Matrix can be copied and pasted into any pattern on any Pattern Matrix

Finally: I think a "Live" Matrix window will be great as the Go-To MIDI section, perhaps also allowing you to import MIDI files from other programs.

[Somebody else has also recommended making Matrix polyphonic, which is great for drum loops, dunno how it can be implemented though. They also recommended one separate output for each voice.]

# Undo / Redo: Like on any decent wordprocessor, have "Undo" / "Redo" visible always at the top of the screen, it's a must.

# Computer keyboard as instrument: I have searched for a way to do this, and l know there is mapping for it on Reason, but apart from that, l don't see any way of making notes using my computer keyboard. Perhaps if there is a way it should be made simpler, more immediate.

Update: Pressing F4 renders the computer keyboard. But l want 2 full octaves (and more ... considering the O, P, [, ] keys) to be mapped onto the QWERTY keyboardm, instead of just 1.

# Mp3 codec: Yes l know Recycle and Audacity are out there but for completeness, have an mp3 codec. So you can send your friends a quick demo of what you're up to.

# Sample browser: Oh yeah, when browsing samples, it's nice that you can preview a sample, but it would be extra nice if you could perform "Cut / Copy / Paste" on the files / folder area - thus allowing you to keep a copy of a previewed sample that you particularly like and paste it onto a desktop folder, without having to dig into your hard drive separately to get to it. Oh and as someone else pointed out, the sample browser loading can be slow sometimes.

# Free updataes for 1 version span: Give free updates for integers not fractions, dude. Like, the equivalent span of one full version. 5.2 to 6.2 (or 6.5 if there is no 6.2). 6 to 7. You get the picture.

Please don't overlook any of this. The only complex thing l have mentioned is the part about scripting language for user-submitted extensions. Everything else is of immediate relevance to the n00bs and speculators that l'm sure you want to attract as much as any other level of musician.

EDIT: P.S. Yes, a lot of these changes are to facilitate the dream of live performance, which is still quite hard whatever DAW uses these days, but no harm in making this dream just a bit more attainable.

JesseRyckman 2013-04-22 22:12

You know, there are keyboard shortcuts for zoom and undo/redo. Use your keyboard, it really speeds up the workflow.

Some of this I don't understand... what's not to like about having multiple columns? Huge step up from only one column...

DynamicDontPanic 2013-04-22 22:20

Let me clarify. Zooming right now makes the recorded block longer. But not taller. Take Acid Pro for example - all you need to do is drag the lower edge of the track to increases the height of the recorded block, which is E-Z magnification is it not? And taking the horizontal zoom as it is, l was saying that the increments are tiny.

Thanks for the heads up about keyboard shortcuts, but l was referring to the screen controls. All the more relevant when considering what l said about touchscreens.

And re: multiple columns, l just don't like it, it forces me to think in parallel, confuses me, causes mental clutter. I also don't like that faux-wood at the side of each rack, it's not really wood. It's a waste. But the main thing is, again, with respect to touchscreens, gotta have as large a hands-on area as possible, if touchscreen is ever introduced. Hopefully multitouch at that.

nickmorgan19457 2013-04-22 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DynamicDontPanic (Post 1294133)
as a music tech n00b l think l have a precious perspective on things.

Inexperience is not a commodity. You've only been using Reason for a month and you've already started 7 threads in the FSF.
Quote:

# Screen size:
Unless you're running some horrible resolution (1366x768) it's not a problem
Quote:

# Touchscreen:
Reason is designed for a mouse. It would take a complete redesign of the UI for this and would only be a marginal improvement for a handful of tasks.
Quote:

# Recording area: Must be floatable
NO! Floating windows are horrible. The tool window is bad enough.
Quote:

# Output channel for your USB soundcard:
No
Quote:

# Undo / Redo: Like on any decent wordprocessor, have "Undo" / "Redo" visible always at the top of the screen, it's a must.
Keyboard shortcuts.
Quote:

# Sample editor
There already is one.
Quote:

# Mp3 codec:
Already been posted 100 times and I never cared before, why would your wall of text change that?
Quote:

# Free updataes for 1 version span:
They can handle update cost however they like.
Quote:

Please don't overlook any of this.
I wish I could block users on this board. That's the only feature suggestion I care about.

I just wasted 20 minutes of my day and typed this out in a broken keyboard just to tell you to go away, learn more, and come back when you can make use of what the program already has before you start asking for new stuff.

Also, every one should to stop using the word "need" for stuff the want. The instant I read titles like this I lose interest in the thread and being to dislike the author.

DynamicDontPanic 2013-04-22 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmorgan19457 (Post 1294187)
Inexperience is not a commodity. You've only been using Reason for a month and you've already started 7 threads in the FSF. .

My freshness to Reason as a perspective on Reason can be useful for the makers of Reason because some of the potential customers will be new to music and won't have the rigour to test everything out in advance. The number of threads l start or do not start does not matter.

Tell me this: are you a Reason developer? My thread was for the Reason developers.

Quote:

Unless you're running some horrible resolution (1366x768) it's not a problem .
It's a problem because it's a problem for ME. Otherwise l would not say it is a problem. Read what l wrote.

Quote:

Reason is designed for a mouse. It would take a complete redesign of the UI for this and would only be a marginal improvement for a handful of tasks.
As explained in the original post, l am not talking about mouses / mice l am talking about touchscreen. If Reason were already for touchscreen l would not be requesting touchscreen. And l've stated the pervasive usefulness of touchscreen capability. Read what l wrote.

Quote:

NO! Floating windows are horrible. The tool window is bad enough. .
If you don't like a floating window, then don't float a window. I feel like everything l have written in this reply is an unnecessary and simplistic re-statement of my original post. Have l suddenly become a genius or am l just replying to some really dim objections?

Quote:

No .
Yes

Quote:

Keyboard shortcuts. .
For any comments about Keyboard shortcuts, l direct you to my post about keyboard shortcuts, which doesn't exist which means l'm not talking about keyboard shortcuts.

Analogy: If l were to complain that a food product's packaging is damaged to a supermarket staff member, should they reply that it tastes nice when you cook it? I'm not talking about something downstream of the problem, l am talking about the problem, for example, l talked about the problem and not what is downstream of it, that should be enough to confirm that l am only talking about the problem and not something else like keyboard shortcuts.

Quote:

There already is one. .
I don't see one that does what l have described

Quote:

Already been posted 100 times and I never cared before, why would your wall of text change that?
What does it matter if you care or not? Unless you are Reason development. In which case you are a very rude person with no sense of professional conduct.

Quote:

They can handle update cost however they like.
Wow we're finally getting somewhere. So l take it you now understand why l am addressing the makers of Reason? Because they can handle these matters at whim?

Quote:

I wish I could block users on this board. That's the only feature suggestion I care about
Oh no, we're getting nowhere. I can't believe l'm even replying to you. If you don't like me - and l remind you this is a forum about music and not personal attacks - then block me, go make some music, for example using Reason or something, just stop vomitting with rage you strange monstrosity.

Quote:

Also, every one should to stop using the word "need" for stuff the want. The instant I read titles like this I lose interest in the thread and being to dislike the author.
You condemn yourself with these words, but l take it this is the last l'll be reading from you on this thread because you are so uninterested in it. See you.

JiggeryPokery 2013-04-23 00:02

Hiya,

I understand that this will incite some amount of negativity, but as a music tech n00b l think l have a precious perspective on things. And yeah, l've known about these problems since around 2004 but l still eventually purchased Reason.

I would like Reason to make a few changes. If l remember rightly, l'm not actually entitled to cheap upgrades for Reason, as l'm on a student licence. So l hope you see that l am trying to be altruistic here by making these suggestions:

# Screen size: sort it out, seriously. Whether two columns of racks are used or just one, make the display fill the whole screen. And preferably, have one column with the racks wide enough to fit the whole screen. I know other DAWs have small discrete racks, but Reason is rack-focused and we are well into the touchscreen era. And personally, l find the concept of two columns confusing. I mean, it's hard enough thinking about all the wires at the back, but then you have two columns ...

Don't use two columns then.

# Touchscreen: sort it out! For every aspect of operation. Will bring you closer to tablet PC implementation too but that's just an asides, l'd love to have touchscreen-ready Reason on a 24-inch HP Touchsmart computer. Apart from Tablet PCs, DAWs are the *biggest* application for touchscreens as far as l am concerned. I mean, software was supposed to supplant hardware right? Touchscreen completely closes the gap between software and hardware - esp. multitouch.

Mouse is better, and far more ergonomic than fingers on desktop screen, and always will be. And that will remain true even after MS/Apple/Google et al have forced us to give them up and use touch. Touch is for tablets, and tablets are for web browsing, Full DAWs on tablets? Just because they technically can doesn't mean you practically should!

# Recording area:
Must be floatable, and most importantly: Make the display M*A*S*S*I*V*E. I want to see waveform displays showing artefacts from crickets chirping on the lawn outside the recording studio. At present, the recording screen just looks weird and unnatural, like staring down at shipping containers from a space station. Also l don't want zoom in / zoom out to be a special reward for a zillion mouse clicks. I want fast fast fast zoom in / zoom out, and l want a good level of zoom by default.

God no. Floating windows have no place in Reason, and the past few releases have seen them creeping in - toolbar, record meter, now the spectrum anal. That madness has to stop! If I wanted floaty windows I'd have perserved with Cubase.
And there are multiple ways of zooming both horizontally and vertically, very quickly. With a mouse. And a keyboard. Often both together. Waveform view could be bigger though...

# Rack extensions:. I'm sure professional musicians have deep pockets and more discernment than me.

Then you'd be surprised.

And ReFills have been probably been around longer than Ableton Live has, so PH have been getting income from Reason extras for a long time.

If you want a multiplicity of extensions, then open Reason up to a well-known scripting language. I dunno anything about scripting apart from some languages can be used in audio to make add-ons that can work on a variety of music programs. It would be nice to see a user repository of free tools, all with bugs of course, but they work and they get better every month as users build on them in their spare time, and they cover every aspect of music and then some. And it's all free, free as in beer and free as in freedom. What's not to like?

This isn't bloody Linux. Rack Extensions are at the same time both way ahead of any other DAW plugin format, and way behind. Hard to explain without getting put against a cold Swedish wall and being shot.

# Output channel for your USB soundcard: Make selecting a soundcard channel for output simpler. I don't know the ins and outs of it (pun) but just do it. Like, for each instrument, have an LCD display saying "This instrument is going to channel 4" simples. But no, instead we have to press tab, look at the back and then mess up our day.

That's what you get for being a student. When you start work again, pressing tab and dragging two cables will not be chore. You'll find precisely the same principle applies to emptying the kitchen bin.

And you'll still use Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-Shift Z more often than the icons, so why waste precious screen real-estate on another bloody toolbar?

# Sample editor: Yes l understand Recycle is out there and Audacity is free. But Reason needs a basic sample editor for completeness, one with the following features:

For entire sample / for selected part:
* Increase amplitude
* Decrease amplitude
[* Assign some existing FX to the curve instead of making it an amplitude curve?]
* Fade in
* Fade out
* Cut
* Copy
* Paste

Even without the FX, part, l could turn white noise into a piano using these simple functions. Even without mixing with another sample. So l think Reason needs this, simple but powerful.

Or are you scared ppl will sample the Refills and thereby steal them? Nobody cares, samples are everywhere.

Once you've left home or the student digs and have a place of your own, and you're in work and producing stuff for other people, you'll care when those other people choose to steal it and give your work away for free.

# Record What U Hear: Apparently this will be simplified in Reason 7, but l've a funny feeling it won't be done properly, .

I have a funny feeling your student thesis will be fact checked via Wikipedia, rather than through prescribed course reading.

# Mp3 codec: Yes l know Recycle and Audacity are out there but for completeness, have an mp3 codec. So you can send your friends a quick demo of what you're up to.

Only if you promise not to complain about the cost increase - MP3 export is not free to implement in a commercial program, despite what your friends say. Yes, actually I wouldn't mind seeing multiple export formats, not just mp3. But I realise I'd have to pay for that.

# Free updataes for 1 version span: Give free updates for integers not fractions, dude. Like, the equivalent span of one full version. 5.2 to 6.2 (or 6.5 if there is no 6.2). 6 to 7. You get the picture.

Only if once you've left home or the student digs and have a place of your own, and you're in work and being paid to produce stuff for other people, that you promise to work for free for the next year cos they've already paid you. I would love to see you accept your proposed business operation for your own career.

Please don't overlook any of this. The only complex thing l have mentioned is the part about scripting language for user-submitted extensions. Everything else is of immediate relevance to the n00bs and speculators that l'm sure you want to attract as much as any other level of musician.

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=173858

Those names are more than enough to attract new users of all levels. If people completely new to DAW software struggle with Reason, they won't be any better in Logic for sure, and Cubase most probably. So if everyone has to start somewhere, Reason more than holds it's own, imo. YMMV!

EDIT: P.S. Yes, a lot of these changes are to facilitate the dream of live performance, which is still quite hard whatever DAW uses these days, but no harm in making this dream just a bit more attainable.

Reason is incredibly easy to use live, with just a little bit of actual practice, and it is waaaaay more reliable than any currently available VST-hosting live solution.

And so, to sum up.

Your definition of "altruism" earlier seems to be "I want others to give me stuff for free".Thanks for that. You've got a successful career as an investment banker ahead of you.

DynamicDontPanic 2013-04-23 00:09

Either l'm not entitled to any upgrades to Reason or l don't get the discount for already having one version. Either way, l won't be upgrading as l have no money left [not for the next 2 years anyway, l think]. My point was, it won't matter a whole lot to me whether these changes are implemented or not.

As soon as l manage to get Reason Rewired to Acid Pro (64-bit OS problems) and my MIDI keyboard working, then l won't even need many of the features l've listed. So yeah it was altruism.

Where have l asked for anything free of charge? If you've got nothing to add to this thread, then add nothing, but don't add this ugly sub-nothing that you seem predisposed to spew. It's of no use.

And no, there is currently no software that can be used truly freestyle, at least not in the sense l intend, which is spontaneous composition of computer aided music for 4 hours continous without boring the audience.

Look just go away if you've got nothing nice to say, don't make me mad, don't speak to someone on a forum as impersonal as this, in such a way that you would fear to speak to them in real life, you're just trolling. Go away.

DynamicDontPanic 2013-04-23 00:14

Checklist before replying (l have had to write up this checklist even though it's obvious to people that have had a decent upgringing):

1. This thread is for attention of Reason developers
2. If you are not a Reason developer, ok then let's have you, but if you have nothing positive to contribute, then don't contribute
3. Certainly no pseudointellectual ad hominem, don't start on me

DynamicDontPanic 2013-04-23 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery (Post 1294244)

Don't use two columns then.

Read: "whether two columns ... or just one". Either way.
Are you on the Reason team? If not, then please check my checklist in the last post l made.

Quote:

Mouse is better, and far more ergonomic than fingers on desktop screen, and always will be. And that will remain true even after MS/Apple/Google et al have forced us to give them up and use touch. Touch is for tablets, and tablets are for web browsing, Full DAWs on tablets? Just because they technically can doesn't mean you practically should!

Are you a Reason developer? If not then who are you to be dismissing my suggestions? I am talking about my experiences, if you have different experiences, that does not change my experiences being my experiences.

Whether you like mouse or not, means nothign to me. And l thought l clearly mentioned touchscreen on a 24 inch screen? Yeah l mentioned tablets too as that's a market. You cannot directly touch the screen with a mouse, nor can you perform multitouch with a mouse, therefore a mouse doesn't figure in this, and the dealbreaker here is that l'm not talking about the mouse, l'm talking about touchscreen.

Quote:

And there are multiple ways of zooming both horizontally and vertically, very quickly. With a mouse. And a keyboard. Often both together. Waveform view could be bigger though...

I have suggested easier ways, in the second of my posts on this thread.

Quote:

This isn't bloody Linux. Rack Extensions are at the same time both way ahead of any other DAW plugin format, and way behind. Hard to explain without getting put against a cold Swedish wall and being shot.

Objection: relevance? My suggestion is unaffected by your scoffing. I never mentioned Linux.
Quote:

# Output channel for your USB soundcard: Make selecting a soundcard channel for output simpler. I don't know the ins and outs of it (pun) but just do it. Like, for each instrument, have an LCD display saying "This instrument is going to channel 4" simples. But no, instead we have to press tab, look at the back and then mess up our day.

That's what you get for being a student. When you start work again, pressing tab and dragging two cables will not be chore. You'll find precisely the same principle applies to emptying the kitchen bin.

Irrelevant. I was suggesting a simpler GUI feature, and the suggestion is unaffected by your remark. And of course it could help in live use, but l expect you will then reply: "oh it won't make any difference, if you are one of the ones in the know, and you are not in the know, but if you were, oh you would find it all easy, so why don't you be in the know?" Irrelevant. Your objections have no substance, just contrary sentiment, whereas l've taken care to formulate my perspective as a beginner. If you think making software that is user / beginner friendly is unnecessary, then perhaps you should just make command-line music, oh but you don't like Linux or anything like that, so where is your head at exactly? Rhetorical question.

Quote:

And you'll still use Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-Shift Z more often than the icons, so why waste precious screen real-estate on another bloody toolbar?

Do you actually have anything of any substance to say? All l am seeing is sentiment and negative, very negative ones at that, weird and nasty and personal, l hope you don't speak this way in real life.

Quote:

For entire sample / for selected part:
* Increase amplitude
* Decrease amplitude
* Fade in
* Fade out
* Cut
* Copy
* Paste

Once you've left home or the student digs and have a place of your own, and you're in work and producing stuff for other people, you'll care when those other people choose to steal it and give your work away for free.

Yet more negative sentiment. If l were creating samples, l would do so on the understanding that there will be some copyright infringement and people will be putting them on torrents and allsorts. I would then build my business on these sensible assumptions and aim at people who cannot risk dodgy torrents, and who have to do everything above board, e.g. studios, schools, etc. Any other approach is naive.

And anyway, the point is, Reason's functionality shouldn't be compromised out of paranoia that this might happen, re: Recording What U Hear. That point still stands, regardless of your cavilling.

Quote:

# Record What U Hear: Apparently this will be simplified in Reason 7, but l've a funny feeling it won't be done properly, .

I have a funny feeling your student thesis will be fact checked via Wikipedia, rather than through prescribed course reading.

Yet more negative sentiment. No substance. You are just on a low ebb and looking to offload bad feelings on other people.

Quote:

Only if once you've left home or the student digs and have a place of your own, and you're in work and being paid to produce stuff for other people, that you promise to work for free for the next year cos they've already paid you. I would love to see you accept your proposed business operation for your own career.

Non sequitur. Ad hominem. Et cetera. I've learnt a lot of Latin through you. Your analogy is invalid and therefore it is just a continuation of your generalised lack of anything positive to say, and lack of anything of any substance to say. I pity you.

By your analogy, you are saying that the makers of any software that gives free updates for one full edition are insanely generous, and it is as if they are working for free for one year. There are in fact software manufacturers that give free updates for one full version and some for even longer. And also, sometimes, one full version spans more than one year, sometimes less than one year. Your analogy is as tattered as your .... l dunno, just go away, stop trolling.

Quote:

Your definition of "altruism" earlier seems to be "I want others to give me stuff for free".Thanks for that. You've got a successful career as an investment banker ahead of you.

If you are referring to talking about user-submitted tools, that would apply as much to me writing and giving away tools as me receiving them and also as much to other people benefitting from receiving free user-submitted tools as myself, and also l conceded that the tools would likely be buggy etc. If you see no value in freebies then you must write a letter to Propellerheads and affiliates and tell them to stop giving away free Refills, go now, l charge you go now, time is short, run, before it is too late. Don't reply please.

plaamook 2013-04-23 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DynamicDontPanic (Post 1294246)
Checklist before replying (l have had to write up this checklist even though it's obvious to people that have had a decent upgringing):

1. This thread is for attention of Reason developers
2. If you are not a Reason developer, ok then let's have you, but if you have nothing positive to contribute, then don't contribute
3. Certainly no pseudointellectual ad hominem, don't start on me

try to relax dude. you'll get a better reception around here. it takes quite a lot to get people jumping up and down on your head round these parts. not that you've been around long enough to realize that. just consider the possibility that you could be approaching things from the wrong angle. you seem like a pretty bright chap. i'm sure if you think about it a bit, you'll see what i mean.

also, if you really want to use Reason, you'll find that this place is a ridiculous well spring of knowledge. post a question no matter how stupid in the right way, get a genuine answer.

acting like a twat on the other hand...