Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How do I get my song louder? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=181909)

Fredl 2013-05-01 15:05

How do I get my song louder?

My song is much quieter than others in the same genre. But it if I turn it louder on the master, it will be clipping. So how do I get it louder? I guess this is about overlapping frequencies? or mastering-wizardry? :)

Fredl

inmatus 2013-05-01 16:01

Its about using the maximizer if u use Reason tools when mastering
Read the manual on how to..

Load e.g. the "empty and FX" as template when doing your song and the master chain is there for you..

I am not THE expert on this but in general I do like this:
-Get a good mix
-Set the levels to 0 db
-(I use Ozone tools and do multiple band compression -otherwise u can consider the compressor in the master suite of Reason)
-Use the maximizer according to manual and what your ears are telling you

When you export song as audio it be in WAV format. if you then plan todo an mp3 a good advice is to set the maximizer limiter level to 0.4 or 0.3 (I do 0.3 and seems ok). If you go for 0 db and generate an mp3 u can get distorision.

To get the loudness up (and thus the percived VOLUME) is about boosting the more quieter parts of the song and decrease the more louder parts. That will reduce dynamics (delta between weak passages and loud passages). How much dynamics you want or can live without is depending on music style..

But in general.. this is how u do it.

I think there are some mastering tips under substance..

selig 2013-05-01 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by inmatus (Post 1303292)
Its about using the maximizer if u use Reason tools when mastering
Read the manual on how to..

Load e.g. the "empty and FX" as template when doing your song and the master chain is there for you..

I am not THE expert on this but in general I do like this:
-Get a good mix
-Set the levels to 0 db
-(I use Ozone tools and do multiple band compression -otherwise u can consider the compressor in the master suite of Reason)
-Use the maximizer according to manual and what your ears are telling you

When you export song as audio it be in WAV format. if you then plan todo an mp3 a good advice is to set the maximizer limiter level to 0.4 or 0.3 (I do 0.3 and seems ok). If you go for 0 db and generate an mp3 u can get distorision.

To get the loudness up (and thus the percived VOLUME) is about boosting the more quieter parts of the song and decrease the more louder parts. That will reduce dynamics (delta between weak passages and loud passages). How much dynamics you want or can live without is depending on music style..

But in general.. this is how u do it.

I think there are some mastering tips under substance..

IMO I'd say this is only a part of how to make a song louder - see my reply to your same question in the user forum for more suggestions:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...96&postcount=3

inmatus 2013-05-01 20:17

Yeah.. I know.. But some basic stuff since he obviously have really lower loudness

probiaXIII 2013-05-01 20:24

Yeah, mastering is a tough thing to get a hold of. I dunno how good you are, you may be better/worse than me, but what I tend to do is I have a couple instruments (bass, lead, drums) much louder and more panned to the center than the rest of the track, then I have other instruments relatively quiet and panned over to the side. I usually try to have less than 8 instruments playing at the same time AT MOST, because it's really easy to fall into the trap of having way too many instruments at once. Obviously, mastering is way more in depth than this, but this is the outline of what I do to keep it loud without distorting or clipping. It's a tough thing to do and I spend more time mastering than I do for anything else.

The Shade 2013-05-02 01:44

The other responses are probably better and technically more savvy...and granted I'm no expert but...

The Lab One "ReQ 131" Eq and Isotope's "Ozone Maximizer" in the RE's are in my opinion(which means nothing) the best two RE's or "user friendly" RE's to assist you in that department.

SoundEnvisions 2013-05-02 04:16

-Export track
-Import to any daw that allows vst
-Add Waves L1, L2, or L3(either or all will work)
-Move slider all the way down for maximum loudness
-Enjoy loud shitty mix

No but on a serious note check out ozones maximizer. And check some videos on youtube one of my favorite plugins right there.

UberJimm 2013-05-02 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1303460)
IMO I'd say this is only a part of how to make a song louder - see my reply to your same question in the user forum for more suggestions:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...96&postcount=3

I'd say a big +1 for everything Selig says, as the approaches he outlines are pretty much the same general rules I try to follow. For the OP, I would also suggest you try out the Flower Audio Loudness Meter RE. It's fairly cheap and provides you with a fairly accurate visual representation of how your track's perceived loudness is.

Only other wisdom I'll offer is that louder doesn't always mean better. Ultimately it comes down to whatever your ears & your personal preference is. :)

Cheers,

J