Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is Reason 7 now a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) ? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=181922)

xmofficial 2013-05-01 17:03

Is Reason 7 now a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) ?

What do you think?

I'm not trying to start a war, just trying to see what arguments will be from both sides.

Thanks.

DatAsian 2013-05-01 17:40

I never got this arguement anyway.

First line from wiki: "A digital audio workstation (DAW) is an electronic system designed solely or primarily for recording, editing and playing back digital audio. "

I'm pretty sure Reason did all this from what, reason 5 already? Recording got easier in Reason 6, but i'm pretty sure it was possible, right?

Sure in the old old versions of Reason it was hard to call it a DAW, but I don't believe that statement still stands.

Reading the wiki page a bit more it would be better to call it a digital audio editor, I guess, but at the same time I also voted for the last poll awnser.

Because semantics.

rickblackdog 2013-05-01 17:59

Yeah I don't get the question, it has been ever since it started recording audio...

phasys 2013-05-01 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickblackdog (Post 1303470)
Yeah I don't get the question, it has been ever since it started recording audio...

You couldn't record audio in Reason 5. That was Reason 6.

urk10 2013-05-01 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmofficial (Post 1303379)
What do you think?

I'm not trying to start a war, just trying to see what arguments will be from both sides.

Thanks.

Not until it has mp3 export :D

Exowildebeest 2013-05-01 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by phasys (Post 1303472)
You couldn't record audio in Reason 5. That was Reason 6.

It did have sampling - or didn't it?

Technically that qualifies as audio recording... Up to an amazing 30 seconds! ;)

Mate 2013-05-01 19:21

Yes! Period!

calmbird 2013-05-01 19:23

Reason DAW? Come on.
This program doesn't have bus channels, recording/editing abilities, mixers, compresors etc.
Defenitely not a DAW! Not even a DA for me! Scandal! Propellerhead, shame on you! :<

QVprod 2013-05-01 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatAsian (Post 1303441)
I never got this arguement anyway.

First line from wiki: "A digital audio workstation (DAW) is an electronic system designed solely or primarily for recording, editing and playing back digital audio. "

I'm pretty sure Reason did all this from what, reason 5 already? Recording got easier in Reason 6, but i'm pretty sure it was possible, right?

Sure in the old old versions of Reason it was hard to call it a DAW, but I don't believe that statement still stands.

Reading the wiki page a bit more it would be better to call it a digital audio editor, I guess, but at the same time I also voted for the last poll awnser.

Because semantics.

Prior to version 6 it was just a DW (digital workstation) ;)

PeterLansford 2013-05-01 20:34

Nope not a DAW still no VST support! ;)