Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DCAM Bus vs Chan compressors (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=182160)

calmbird 2013-05-03 19:54

DCAM Bus vs Chan compressors

Hi Musicians! :)

I would like to ask about one thing. I bought DCAM BusCompressor. But I'v seen there is also ChanCompressor in store.

The differences I'v seen in interface, are:
- Attack speed: Bus has from 0,1 to 30 ms attack / Chan has 0,02 to 1,2.
- Release: Bus Fixed 0,1 to 1,2 sec + Auto / Chan 0,05 to 1,2 sec
- Input gain: Bus -ifninity to 18 db / Chan -20 to 40 db
- Output gain: Bus/Chan -ifninity to 6 db
- Both has mix
- Ratio: Bus has fixed 2,4,10 / Chan has fixed 4,8,12,20,Nuke!

Bus additionaly has:
- Detection
- Treshold
- Makeup

Chan additionaly has:
- Bias

I understand, that ChanComp is for single channels, and bus is for group of channels like final mastering.
Now my questions :)
- Why chan is for one channel, and bus for group of channels?
- Can I stick to bus and use it on channels and group of channels without buying chan comp? Is it proper?

Regards!
CalmBird

fizbin 2013-05-03 21:22

I think you should try them on different sources and decide with your ears. Pigeonholing devices like this, without realizing for yourself the full potential, is less than useful.

My 2 cents anyway.

concep 2013-05-03 21:39

Bus is modeled after the SSL master bus compressor. It doesn't sound as good as the one on the Master Chanel in Reason, but it's helpful for gently compressing or gluing of bus tracks. The Chan Comp is modeled after the 1176 compressor just like the Softube FET. It doesn't sound nearly as good as FET, and it doesn't have sidechain inputs or any sidechain ability at all. However, it is a very good compressor for the money and will do things that the MClass and SSL Chanel compressors can't do. It has a very fast attack, so it will keep high frequencies intact better, unlike the MClass.

calmbird 2013-05-03 23:20

So SSL channel and buss compersors are better than DCAM?

calmbird 2013-05-04 14:24

Well, could someone please share some of knowledge about this with me? :)

fizbin 2013-05-04 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by calmbird (Post 1306825)
Well, could someone please share some of knowledge about this with me? :)

I don't want to sound pedantic here, so don't misunderstand.

Do you not trust your own ears though? You can try them both together and listen for yourself.

If you don't trust your own ears, you will never be able to mix.

calmbird 2013-05-04 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizbin (Post 1306979)
I don't want to sound pedantic here, so don't misunderstand.

Do you not trust your own ears though? You can try them both together and listen for yourself.

If you don't trust your own ears, you will never be able to mix.

You are right ofc! Sometimes I just can't get effect I want. That's why I'm asking for tips from those with better knowledge than me.

There is no real comparstion of Reason comperssors.