Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   is there a way to route kong so i can play different notes? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=182224)

houseofproductions 2013-05-04 14:58

is there a way to route kong so i can play different notes?

hello,

i was wondering..

example, i want to make my own 808 kick and snare trap style so i need to play it as a piano roll..

bless

phasys 2013-05-04 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseofproductions (Post 1306842)
hello,

i was wondering..

example, i want to make my own 808 kick and snare trap style so i need to play it as a piano roll..

bless

You could meddle around with the pitch, but that's not very practical. So the best option here is to sample it and put it in an NN-19 as a standalone sample.

dub08 2013-05-04 15:08

If I ever have a pitched 808 bass drum, its on its own track/channel/device. Its always an NNXT or thor etc but never a Kong. Kong doesnt have the right sort of design for that "pitching". It can probably handle the snare roll though, with a little "pitch range" adjustment. (But you'd have to turn PR down on other sounds in the Kong that you don't want to pitch.)

Use a different device and channel for long, pitched 808 kicks. I wholeheartedly recommend that method. This makes it so much easier to mix, further down line.

standbyghost 2013-05-04 15:50

Yes

I would agree with everything that the others have said in this thread. It is VERY important to remember that you have different percussion/rhythm devices for different needs. Personally, I tend to load most of my drum sounds into the NN-19 as standalone samples for easy manipulation, but will also stray into Kong territory when I want to synthesize a sound with one of Kong's algorithms, for instance. For me, the Redrum has fallen into disuse, but that is just my current phase, I'm sure there will come a day when I will bring an instance of Redrum back on the table and sequence some old school jams. This is a key element to understanding Reason - No instrument is necessarily better than any other, you just want to be sensitive to the sounds that each instrument can produce, and the control factors available on their respective interfaces. Be easy with that urge to think some part of your arsenal is BETTER and NEEDS to be used!

houseofproductions 2013-05-04 19:55

Ai thanks guys!!
sorry didn't see the replies, but yea i thought so.. personally i make my 808's with massive at the moment.. gonna chek thor for sure!
but i would love do do some kong fun drum synths en be able to play them in note without any quality loss.. to bad

bless up!

selig 2013-05-04 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseofproductions (Post 1307081)
Ai thanks guys!!
sorry didn't see the replies, but yea i thought so.. personally i make my 808's with massive at the moment.. gonna chek thor for sure!
but i would love do do some kong fun drum synths en be able to play them in note without any quality loss.. to bad

bless up!

You technically can play notes/lines on Kong but it's a 'brute force' solution. You must load the same sample into multiple pads (you can copy/paste pads here), and tune each sample/pad to one of the notes you need to play, and you only have ± 1 octave of tuning. :-)