Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Channel Meters Remain On (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=182886)

CHAZM 2013-05-13 01:33

Channel Meters Remain On

In mixer view and also in rack view It would be nice to have the channel meters remain on while muted. Just because I may have the channel muted doesn't mean I don't care to see when/if the sound is playing. This would mimic any console in that the meters reflect what's on the corresponding track regardless on whether the channel is muted.

selig 2013-05-13 03:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZM (Post 1314424)
In mixer view and also in rack view It would be nice to have the channel meters remain on while muted. Just because I may have the channel muted doesn't mean I don't care to see when/if the sound is playing. This would mimic any console in that the meters reflect what's on the corresponding track regardless on whether the channel is muted.

Can I get a BIG +1 for this!?!

I also would prefer a pre-fader meter, with Peak response. But the issue you bring up can be quite frustrating. It's how you know if somethings playing on that track or not without having to un-mute it or look in the sequencer view. Like you say, it's such a useful feature and the way the "real" SSL works, that you would have thought it would have been included from the start. Like bus channels (finally, thank you very much). And Solo Isolate (for ANY channel).

And my other big pet peeve is the Pre Fader sends are post MUTE. On the SSL and most other consoles I've worked on, a pre-fader send is active even when the channel is muted. This allows you to mute a channel(s) quickly (retaining it's fader position) and not affect the sends, which is helpful for pre fader effects and ESSENTIAL for pre fader head phone mixes. But I digress… ;-)

CHAZM 2013-05-13 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1314474)
Can I get a BIG +1 for this!?!

I also would prefer a pre-fader meter, with Peak response....
And my other big pet peeve is the Pre Fader sends are post MUTE. On the SSL and most other consoles I've worked on, a pre-fader send is active even when the channel is muted. This allows you to mute a channel(s) quickly (retaining it's fader position) and not affect the sends, which is helpful for pre fader effects and ESSENTIAL for pre fader head phone mixes. But I digress… ;-)

Yes, or at least the choice of either or in preferences.

concep 2013-05-13 16:11

I like your idea. I would also like the SSL meters to stay visible always when scrolling through the rest of the mixer. You know, like an actual SSL desk does. :)

I would also love a Peak/VU toggle on the SSL for individual channels. I don't so much care if individual channels can be toggled. It would be enough to switch all to VU/Peak at the same time.

centomila 2013-05-14 17:41

I'd like to add my little contribution to this good idea: the muted tracks meter must have a lighter color or the same orange of mute button.

selig 2013-05-14 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by centomila (Post 1315554)
I'd like to add my little contribution to this good idea: the muted tracks meter must have a lighter color or the same orange of mute button.

I'm curious why? The meter is right next to the mute button so it's unlikely you'll ever need further indication that the channel is muted. Am I missing something? :-)