Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: 40th birthday... what to do?? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=182930)

vanKloot 2013-05-13 20:08

OT: 40th birthday... what to do??

So I turn 40 on Wednesday the 15th. Generally birthdays mean roughly nothing to me, and haven't since I was about 17 or so. But for some reason, this one is really on my mind. My other half wants to know what I want/want to do for my birthday, but I truly have no idea.

I already work for myself (we both run our company together) so work from home on my own schedule. I love being at home more than probably anywhere else, and I live in Northern California where the weather is pretty fantastic all the time. We don't drink, consider ourselves "anti-foodies" (meaning we have absolutely no interest in food or "gourmet" *anything*) so going out for a fancy meal is of no interest. I don't really need any presents as anything I really want I get for myself. We don't have a big social circle and tend to prefer it that way, so throwing a party or "going out with friends" is out. We're not into nightlife so a night on the town is equally pointless. Don't care for travel so unless a Tardis drops into my yard, I don't want to take a trip anywhere.

So basically, I'm really really boring. LOL But I like it that way and overall I have an awesome life. So what on earth should I do for my birthday? Or what should I ask for as a gift? It just seems so silly since I have basically anything I could want (well, anything practical at least... I kinda have a crush on an Ariel Atom at the moment but that's more than a little out of the question for now...)

Anyone else around here as boring and yet satisfied with their life, as I am? :D

plaamook 2013-05-13 20:24

nope.

sounds like y life is the complete inversion of yours. i won't bore you with the details.

however, have you ever seen the film 'The Game' with michael duglas and sean penn? perhaps you need an adventure.

kungfujedi 2013-05-13 20:29

Happy early birthday!! Give your wife a hug and tell her you love her. Recent events have reminded me how fleeting life can be. What better way to celebrate your 40th year on this earth than to just let those you love know you are thinking of them and to cherish your time together. :)

vanKloot 2013-05-13 20:45

That's a lovely suggestion! Fortunately for us, we share such sentiments every single day which has the semi-unfortunate effect of making every day as "special" as every other which in turn kinda makes them all not special! Funny how that works.

Still I can assure you that expressions of love and appreciation will be the order of the day. =)

kungfujedi 2013-05-13 21:16

Haha. Awesome! Cheers! :)

tincture 2013-05-13 21:33

You should mark the occasion in some way, 40 is a big one, mine was just over a year ago and I wasn't happy about it, didn't want to celebrate it, but got a nice surprise party and was glad of it. It made me realise that my negative focus on the milestone was unnecessary and that there are some pretty good things about increasing 'maturity' :)

As for what to do, I don't know, but maybe as you and your wife seem to have a fairly insular life you should have a night out with family or friends - or just do something out of your comfort zone but will still be enjoyable? F**k it man, drop acid or ecstacy and watch the sun come up together, then ... ahhh I may be projecting here.. ;)

vanKloot 2013-05-13 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by tincture (Post 1314937)
ahhh I may be projecting here.. ;)

LOL... yeah, perhaps just a tad. ;)

I actually have come up with a possible idea...

http://arielatom.com/drive_an_atom.php

vanKloot 2013-05-13 22:28

OOPS, strike that... I thought that program was in California, but it's in Virgina. I'm not traveling that far for something like this so... oh well.

Ambientdave 2013-05-14 00:02

Happy 40th Bud (in advance)

I'm 47 and life couldn't be better,ha,ha .

one1byke 2013-05-14 00:04

Happy Birthday, VK.