Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   recording from midi channel 2 (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=182977)

kvdo 2013-05-14 10:46

recording from midi channel 2

I've been searching for a solution for this and I can't seem to find one.

I just bought an akai mpk61 midi controller and am using it with reason. I have the keys and other controllers using channel 1A, and then I have the pads going through channel 2A. Then in the advanced midi rack I have selected a Kong to receive input from bank A, channel 2. Pretty straight forward, and it works: I play the keys, and it plays piano or whatever I have selected; and when I strike the pads, I get the sound coming from Kong.

My problem is that if I want to RECORD the pads, no note information will be tracked in the sequencer track for Kong (the track is of course selected and armed). I can hear the sound, but the the instrument's thumbnail in the sequencer does not light up as per usual when you strike a note.

How do I get Reason to track notes coming from a channel other than channel 1? Thanks in advance!

Wyggy 2013-05-14 13:36

You appear to be using Advanced MIDI. you can't record from Advanced MIDI. There was discussion a few weeks ago on the User Forum. Pop into the archives.

Here https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...=Advanced+MIDI

kvdo 2013-05-14 17:36

Thanks, just read through it.

The problem is the drum pads are part of the midi controller, and send the same note information as the keys, so even if I make two controllers in preferences and lock one controller to Kong, the keys will be playing drums at the same time as another instrument I have selected. the only way I can separate the keys from the pads is to send them through different midi channels.

Wyggy 2013-05-15 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvdo (Post 1315550)
Thanks, just read through it.

The problem is the drum pads are part of the midi controller, and send the same note information as the keys, so even if I make two controllers in preferences and lock one controller to Kong, the keys will be playing drums at the same time as another instrument I have selected. the only way I can separate the keys from the pads is to send them through different midi channels.

It looks as though you would need two separate MIDI keyboards to be able to do what you want with the drum pads. I gave up on advanced MIDI when I could not record the input. It seems it was intended for live performances.

Try opening a discussion on the User Forum.

Solarinus 2013-05-15 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvdo (Post 1315550)
The problem is the drum pads are part of the midi controller, and send the same note information as the keys, so even if I make two controllers in preferences and lock one controller to Kong, the keys will be playing drums at the same time as another instrument I have selected

I encountered this when I was checking out one of those MIDI controllers at a music shop. I couldn't for the life of me make the pads send notes. I have a workaround using MIDI-OX and loopMIDI that can be used on PC:

1) Configure TWO loopMIDI ports
2) Use controller in as input on MIDI-OX
3) Send keypresses on Channel 1 and have loopMIDI port 1 listen only to Channel 1
4) Send Pad info on Channel 2 and have loopMIDI port 2 listen only to Channel 2
5) In reason configure master keyboard on loopMIDI port 1 and a secondary generic MIDI device on loopMIDI port 2
6) Lock your loopMIDI port 2 input to the Kong.

The tricky part is steps 3 and 4, but based on your previous posts, you know how to do this. I have tested this on a single Korg nanoKEY, sending notes on channel 1 and CC on channel 2. By converting CC to notes in MIDI-OX, I was able to have all CC messages changed to notes and locked to Kong, while having a floating "master keyboard". It makes no sense to do this with a nanoKEY, but if I could get it to work on a nanoKEY, it should be doable on your controller too.

I don't have a Mac anymore, so if anybody can chime in with a similar strategy, that would be cool. Feel free to PM me if you can't get this to work on a PC.