Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anybody Hard Pan L and R? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=183017)

wendylou 2013-05-14 21:22

Anybody Hard Pan L and R?

Whenever I hear many early Beatles songs, I'm always blown away by the discrete L and R channels! Singing on Right, guitar on Left, etc. I can't hear any crossover between them. Anybody do this in their productions?

Staarchylld 2013-05-14 21:28

I have started doing this more lately. I have been listening to the songs on my Iphone and noticed a lot more songs with the hard panning than I had before so it got me to doing that.

TheFatControlleR 2013-05-14 21:57

I've done some of that recently, not always hard L&R but certainly some L or R separation. This one has some of it;

charlycharlzz 2013-05-14 22:00

well the§rotary speaker is here for that ;) ! I aint got it but I can imagine a youkoulélé , a lead , a organ or a electric guitar with it and make some super vintage floating hight sounds mixed in the groove :)

will buy it one day !

there is a free rotary combi that work well in the SB :)

pullpoti 2013-05-14 22:10

I use panning a lot, hard L&R too. I love it.
Maybe because I can't mix properly???

normen 2013-05-14 22:22

Though almost nobody does the "drums hard left" thing of the Beatles anymore.. Theres two kinds of pro mixers: The LCR type and the pan type. The LCR kind of mixing (only center, hard left or hard right) is actually easier because you have less phase issues between the channels and the mixing actually happens in the air only, like for real sound sources. I am not a fan of LCR mixing though, its as if you're not interested in the spatial setup, only the sound of the single instruments. Funnily the LCR type is also the more religious type (string belief in "analog" or "magic devices") generally speaking ;)

Grumbleweed 2013-05-14 22:38

There's early Pink Floyd stuff (before they were good) that had the drums hard panned one way or the other. Sounds like shit and for that reason I never listened to the album ever again.
My son has a Jimi Hendrix CD with hard panning on some tracks and that sounds like shit as well.

I'm all for separation but you don't pan drums, lead vocal or the bass over to one side. So there.

Grum.

joseydeclaire 2013-05-15 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendylou (Post 1315714)
Whenever I hear many early Beatles songs, I'm always blown away by the discrete L and R channels! Singing on Right, guitar on Left, etc. I can't hear any crossover between them. Anybody do this in their productions?

By Beatles (and some other first stereorecordings) this effect first was because the kind of recording-equipment and because it was new technic :)
And no, I´m doing this not as often because if songs are playing in cars or clubs, and some have no cross-audioinstallation, there will be lost something (because it´s only on the other side of the room :))

And too my ears mostly telling me it´s crying in my ears to hear an important instrument / something hard right or left (very hard if I´m hearing a song with headphones). I only use this somethimes for sounds that are in the background, light fill.
At last, this situation, hard right or left in my eyes are not a natural situation, because normally there are some reflections and roominformations on each sound in nature or rooms. So, no I don´t like that.

Mate 2013-05-15 00:27

Depends, mostly on leads, solos +30, -30!

Drums it's another story!

grumo 2013-05-15 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumbleweed (Post 1315770)
There's early Pink Floyd stuff (before they were good) that had the drums hard panned one way or the other. Sounds like shit and for that reason I never listened to the album ever again.
My son has a Jimi Hendrix CD with hard panning on some tracks and that sounds like shit as well.

I'm all for separation but you don't pan drums, lead vocal or the bass over to one side. So there.

Grum.

It does work quite well with some motown stuff though!