Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Using a VST/AU plugin on Mac using Reason's External MIDI Instrument? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=183215)

altron 2013-05-17 17:28

Using a VST/AU plugin on Mac using Reason's External MIDI Instrument?
 
Well, the subject says it all pretty much! How is it done? I know there are a couple of threads about this already but I haven't got this working yet.

Let's say I'd like to use a standard Mac VST instrument, for example u-he Diva, with Reason... are there any good VST/AU wrappers? I've tried Audio Plugin Player. With it I can control the VST via MIDI over Reason (I think) but I get no Audio back from it into Reason. I'm using Balance as my Audio interface.

How is this done?

joeyluck 2013-05-17 17:42

Here's a .docx explaining how I do it. Anybody, please feel free to edit and repost.

http://www.joeyluck.com/sound/propel...edirects=0&d=1

Hope that helps!

altron 2013-05-17 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyluck (Post 1317937)
Here's a .docx explaining how I do it. Anybody, please feel free to edit and repost.

http://www.joeyluck.com/sound/propel...edirects=0&d=1

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for the guide! Soundflower was the missing link. Now got it working! :)

FailedMuso 2013-05-17 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyluck (Post 1317937)
Here's a .docx explaining how I do it. Anybody, please feel free to edit and repost.

http://www.joeyluck.com/sound/propel...edirects=0&d=1

Hope that helps!

A very useful document :)

If I might add, you can always use Apple's own free AU Lab to easily host AU's...

http://images.apple.com/euro/itunes/...ocs/au_lab.zip

:)

reason2dance 2013-05-17 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by FailedMuso (Post 1317984)
A very useful document :)

If I might add, you can always use Apple's own free AU Lab to easily host AU's...

http://images.apple.com/euro/itunes/...ocs/au_lab.zip

:)

And for VST: VSTLord...

reason2dance 2013-05-17 19:42

Another possibility for AU: RAX...

Garland 2013-05-17 20:31

I've also made a tutorial here:

http://esotericsounddesign.wordpress...r-with-reason/

KenPH 2013-05-18 03:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyluck (Post 1317937)
Here's a .docx explaining how I do it. Anybody, please feel free to edit and repost.

http://www.joeyluck.com/sound/propel...edirects=0&d=1

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the document.

Two points

1. Current version 1.3 appears to have problems with plugins that need registration codes

2. The program has two built-in ports named "to Audio Plugin Player 1" and "to Audio Plugin Player 2"

Therefore you do not need to create your own bus. Just use one of those in the EMI and the Audio Plugin Player.

KenPH 2013-05-18 04:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by FailedMuso (Post 1317984)
A very useful document :)

If I might add, you can always use Apple's own free AU Lab to easily host AU's...

http://images.apple.com/euro/itunes/...ocs/au_lab.zip

:)

Thank you for the link to the AU Lab program.

People should know that the program is free but is a nuisance to download unless you already have XCode. Thus it is nice that you have posted a link directly to the program.

FailedMuso 2013-05-18 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenPH (Post 1318326)
Thank you for the link to the AU Lab program.

People should know that the program is free but is a nuisance to download unless you already have XCode. Thus it is nice that you have posted a link directly to the program.

You're more than welcome :)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:59.