Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OSX and Reason 7 (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=184811)

mogambo 2013-06-13 07:59

OSX and Reason 7
 
Such a shame it is that we're compelled to 'upgrade' to Lion if we want to run Reason 7. Does anyone have any idea why Propeller Heads chose to do this? Is Lion really any better than 10.6? Frankly I can't think why I would want to put myself through the trauma of following Apple further into the abyss in order to use Reason 7.

BonezMcCoy 2013-06-13 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogambo (Post 1336727)
Such a shame it is that we're compelled to 'upgrade' to Lion if we want to run Reason 7. Does anyone have any idea why Propeller Heads chose to do this? Is Lion really any better than 10.6? Frankly I can't think why I would want to put myself through the trauma of following Apple further into the abyss in order to use Reason 7.

Really? I think it is a tough choice to support more than 2 OS generations. I ain't no IT Jedi, but supporting multiple OSs means bloat to me. As for Lion and Snow Leopard, the point is not it is better or worse, it is just newer. BTW, skip Lion and go straight to Mountain Lion, after all, 10.9 is just around the corner.

nickmorgan19457 2013-06-13 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogambo (Post 1336727)
Does anyone have any idea why Propeller Heads chose to do this?

Simplicity.
Quote:

Is Lion really any better than 10.6?
You don't even notice a difference unless you want to.
Quote:

Frankly I can't think why I would want to put myself through the trauma of following Apple further into the abyss in order to use Reason 7.
Then don't. Don't make threads bitching about it, either. There's nothing forcing you to upgrade, is there?

Spectrephonic 2013-06-13 11:10

Upgrading was painless, to me, 10.8 and Reason7 is way better than 10.6 with Reason 6.5. It's more stable and efficient.

tumar 2013-06-13 14:22

Don't go 10.7 - it's nightmare! If you have to upgrade, miss it and go to 10.8.

yorick 2013-06-13 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 1336728)
Really? I think it is a tough choice to support more than 2 OS generations. I ain't no IT Jedi, but supporting multiple OSs means bloat to me. As for Lion and Snow Leopard, the point is not it is better or worse, it is just newer. BTW, skip Lion and go straight to Mountain Lion, after all, 10.9 is just around the corner.

What are you talking about? Lion is only two years old. And in dropping Rosetta is a major pain for some people. Plus many many filmmakers have had to stick with it to keep running Final Cut, after Apple dumbed down final cut X.

Snow Leopard is not Windows XP. It's far newer, runs on far newer machines and is a perfectly good OS with a huge user base among professional creatives. It is in my mind LUNACY not to provide support for it.

yorick 2013-06-13 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmorgan19457 (Post 1336765)
Simplicity.

You don't even notice a difference unless you want to.

I take it you don't run Rosetta apps then?
Pretty hard not to notice an app not loading up.

yorick 2013-06-13 14:47

The whole expectation for people to upgrade Mac OS's is just obtuse for these reasons:

Apple release OS upgrades every year. So being two behind just means being two years behind.
Not such a big deal in any other industry, especially music. People are still happily using Akai MPC's from the 15-20 years ago. Or vintage keyboards. Or guitars from decades ago. People can take 2-4 years to record an album. Some have taken 7 or more years to record an album.

The apple updates force you into buying new Apple computers, which as we know are overpriced. Far more than PCs.

So expecting some people to update their 3 year old OSX may also mean
1.Buying new computer
2. Buying new peripherals because firewire or thunderbolt 1 has been dropped.
3. Buying new plugins and daws and other software because they now won't run.

In essence just to get the advantages of a simple $129 upgrade, a user has to shell out thousands of dollars EVERY TWO YEARS.

Completely unreasonable and unrealistic.

BonezMcCoy 2013-06-13 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorick (Post 1336858)
What are you talking about? Lion is only two years old. And in dropping Rosetta is a major pain for some people. Plus many many filmmakers have had to stick with it to keep running Final Cut, after Apple dumbed down final cut X.

Snow Leopard is not Windows XP. It's far newer, runs on far newer machines and is a perfectly good OS with a huge user base among professional creatives. It is in my mind LUNACY not to provide support for it.

I understand SL is much newer than XP, I know a lot of people still rely on it. However, when 10.9 comes out, providing support for SL will mean providing support for 4 different OSs, quite a lot, huh? By the way, ProTools 11 won't even support Lion, or so I've heard.

yorick 2013-06-14 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 1337022)
I understand SL is much newer than XP, I know a lot of people still rely on it. However, when 10.9 comes out, providing support for SL will mean providing support for 4 different OSs, quite a lot, huh? By the way, ProTools 11 won't even support Lion, or so I've heard.

The number of OS' is irrelevant compared to how old the OS' are. If Apple released an OS upgrade every week, would it be fair to only support the two latest? How about an upgrade every quarter?
I happen to think an upgrade every year is too fast for the music industry. There are plenty of pro studios still using Snow Leopard. Stability and longevity trumps the latest. I was in a SOHO studio today with an old analogue console for example. Newer isn't necessarily better.

And Avid are notorious for making users update Macs. Don't use them as an example. They're the worst.

The reality is Apple are completely out of touch with their professional userbase. It's a common complaint. I mean look at Thunderbolt. It's already being retired for Thunderbolt 2 and where are the peripherals? Musical interfaces are still all using USB2. Firewire is still a perfectly good interface option for a plethora of interfaces, and Mac doesn't even put slots on their new machines. It's laughable.

So for Props to follow Apple's lead in this is poor form. I have previously admired Props for being more egalitarian and making things available to older and less powerful machines.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:22.