Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Music Radars Top Daws (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=185019)

mrjassonturner 2013-06-17 19:24

Music Radars Top Daws
 
http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/te...oday-238905/15

1.FL Studio (Surprised because it is not crossed platform for Mac)
2.Ableton Live (Surprised because of the non-linear sequencing scheme)
3.PreSonus Studio 1 (Surprised since the Demo kept crashing on my Mac)
4.Cubase
5.Reason
6.Apple Logic (I think this should be higher on the list, but I understand. It's not cross compatible with PC soooo..)
7.Cockos Reaper (should be #1 IMO...just for the price vs. features)
8.ProTools LE
9.Cakewalk
10.Magix Samplitude
11.MuTools MuLab
12.MOTU Digital Performer
13.Acoustica Mixcraft Pro Studio
14.Sony Creative Software Acid
15.Apple Garageband

Loading SoundCloud…

Ambientdave 2013-06-17 19:31

To be honest its a load of rubbish,there are very biased people out there
If your happy with Reason stick with Reason
Im very happy with Reason and also Live,ha,ha both work great togheter

mrjassonturner 2013-06-17 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambientdave (Post 1339691)
To be honest its a load of rubbish,there are very biased people out there
If your happy with Reason stick with Reason
Im very happy with Reason and also Live,ha,ha both work great togheter

Of course there are biased opinions out there. This is a Propellerhead forum so it wouldn't surprise me if people will think Reason should have been #1....because of there bias toward Reason. I personally have used Garageband, ProTools, Reaper, Reason, Cubase; and just recently bought Logic. Each Daw has something special about it. I will concede that the title may be misleading. Maybe it should have been titled, "Most Popular Daws", instead of "Best Daws" since "best" is of personal subjectivity. I also believe it depends on what is being compared...like price for features...GUI...etc.

Loading SoundCloud…

Ambientdave 2013-06-17 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjassonturner (Post 1339720)
Of course there are biased opinions out there. This is a Propellerhead forum so it wouldn't surprise me if people will think Reason should have been #1....because of there bias toward Reason. I personally have used Garageband, ProTools, Reaper, Reason, Cubase; and just recently bought Logic. Each Daw has something special about it. I will concede that the title may be misleading. Maybe it should have been titled, "Most Popular Daws", instead of "Best Daws" since "best" is of personal subjectivity. I also believe it depends on what is being compared...like price for features...GUI...etc.

Loading SoundCloud…

Yes I agree with you

Every DAW has its quirks and personalities,which makes people choose ,he,he
I tend to listen to people that use this stuff day in and out
I come from a non musician background,and Reason was and still is ,my favorite choice to make tunes.Been with Reason for 4 years now,and its come a long way,since I owned a copy,lol
But also just started to learn to use Live with Reason too
This has features which Reason hasn't got,lol

mrjassonturner 2013-06-17 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambientdave (Post 1339725)
Yes I agree with you

Every DAW has its quirks and personalities,which makes people choose ,he,he
I tend to listen to people that use this stuff day in and out
I come from a non musician background,and Reason was and still is ,my favorite choice to make tunes.Been with Reason for 4 years now,and its come a long way,since I owned a copy,lol
But also just started to learn to use Live with Reason too
This has features which Reason hasn't got,lol

I personally am of the opinion that Reason has the best environment, and the most stable of any Daw I've previously mentioned using. I have been using Reason hardcore since 2009. Before then I'd fiddle with it because I was a hardware Drum Machine and Keyboard guy. Reason was the most user friendly of them all to get me through this transition. Protools (v7) then wasn't well suited for production. And I just didn't like the way the Daw and Digidesign interface combination sounded.

I own Abelton as well, but it just doesn't fit in to my personal production scheme. I am used to a more linear way of creating music. I made about 10 or so tracks using FL Studio, but at the time, my (then) computer was too slow to get a finished product. Plus, I wasn't a fan of the pattern sequencing scheme. Now that I own a Mac, FL Studio is not even an option.

After stating all of that, I still wouldn't put Reason as the #1 Daw. I think...as a matter of fact, I know that the browser is very much out of date. There are limited import/export functions. You can't change session parameters, like bit depth, within the session. Audio editing is kind of limited...(one example is there is no key command or short cut to slice or merge audio). No 3rd party vst support kind of puts you at an impasse if you spent money to buy Waves(whatever bundles), and NI Komplete (v?).

I think this is what gives Abelton Live and other Daws it's edge over Reason. Limited Recording options, limited batch operations (like not being able to move more than 1 fader at once ...as an example. Feature wise vs. Price..I would place Reaper at the top. It's not a Daw that comes loaded with Vst's and Presets, but for $60, there is nothing on the market like it. Before v5, I'd create music and mix strictly in Reaper.

Cubase is another that tops my list, but stability was an issue for me. And although it is not straight forward, the features out of the box are enormous. And this was Cubase v5 btw.

Reason is definitely in my Top 5, but has a long way before becoming number 1. That's why I bought Logic Pro 9.

Loading SoundCloud…

Wyggy 2013-06-17 21:18

In my book Reason is first for its versatility. Reaper has very good mixer and send properties but it is not easy to use. It can be used with Reason.

mrjassonturner 2013-06-17 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyggy (Post 1339758)
In my book Reason is first for its versatility. Reaper has very good mixer and send properties but it is not easy to use. It can be used with Reason.

Reaper not easy to use? I got pretty deep into both, and I have to say, by default, Reason is more difficult to use IMHO... Especially if you have no hardware studio background. Plus, you have to learn audio engineer jargon just to comprehend the manual in Reason. I barely had to read anything using Reaper..which I thought to be the MOST intuitive of any Daw I've used to date. As you said, it's just not suited well for production more than it is for mixing. But to each his own....

Loading SoundCloud…

Wyggy 2013-06-17 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjassonturner (Post 1339770)
Reaper not easy to use? I got pretty deep into both, and I have to say, by default, Reason is more difficult to use IMHO... Especially if you have no hardware studio background. Plus, you have to learn audio engineer jargon just to comprehend the manual in Reason. I barely had to read anything using Reaper..which I thought to be the MOST intuitive of any Daw I've used to date. As you said, it's just not suited well for production more than it is for mixing. But to each his own....

Loading SoundCloud…

Well I suppose I got into the basics of Reaper within half an hour but I lost heart when using various effects especially some of the none audio effects.

I have just been kicked in the pants by this thread. I haven't used the program since last August. There have been a few additions to its functions in the intervening months. I am about to download the latest version and investigate its MIDI routing facilities. Also I have not tried to use it with Reason 7 but expect it to wok as smoothly as it did with 6.5.

mrjassonturner 2013-06-18 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyggy (Post 1339791)
Well I suppose I got into the basics of Reaper within half an hour but I lost heart when using various effects especially some of the none audio effects.

I have just been kicked in the pants by this thread. I haven't used the program since last August. There have been a few additions to its functions in the intervening months. I am about to download the latest version and investigate its MIDI routing facilities. Also I have not tried to use it with Reason 7 but expect it to wok as smoothly as it did with 6.5.

Lol Wasn't trying to kick you in the pants friend! The features I think are awesome in Reaper is the fact that there isn't a difference between midi and audio tracks; the key commands are easy to remember; loads of import and export options; simple routing matrix; customizable VST plug-in favorites section; 3rd party Vst support; very stable; stereo/mono split merge options; and last but not least.....my favorite of all....track folders and group folders in both the mixer and arrange areas.

And how could I forget to mention....the price $65

If I wasn't a "one stop shop" kind of guy, and if Reaper was more producer friendly, I'd definitely buy a license for my Mac...but I'd rather mix in the daw I created the song in..verses creating a bunch of stems, on top of stems to mix. Plus I like mixing while creating for some weird reason. But I still say Reaper is one of THE MOST under-rated Daws out.

Loading SoundCloud…

aisling 2013-06-18 02:34

interesting poll. I am a total reason supporter, it is my number one daw for the last few years, but lets not kid around, DP is leagues ahead of most of those DAW's (reason included in some respects) and only placed 12th...


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:33.