Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Spoiling the Modular Experience (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=185250)

MirrorEyes 2013-06-21 16:53

Spoiling the Modular Experience

Ok Reason is a modular/semi modular environment, which I love, can't beat custom multi-band setups, layered synth Combis and advanced FX chains, but certain elements make this harder than it should be, like it's been tacked on.

1) Lack of multi parameter adjustment, this is my biggest bugbear, for example it's such a workflow killer adjusting the same parameter on 7 synths in a Combi when theres no Combi knobs left!! We need keypad value entry, copy and paste value, ctrl/shift click multi parameter adjustment.

2) We need more Knobs and Buttons, in addition Radio Buttons, Faders, XY pads, Jog Wheels, Mod Matrix slots in the Combinator, sub Combinators would be good too!!

2) Some folded devices don't unfold when you drag cables onto them, Kong's Drum & FX section for example.

3) Better cable management, with cable happy devices it ends up like a rats nest at the back and you can't quickly identify whats plugged into what.

4) Homogenised and/or colour coded/more visual rear panel GUI connections is needed, so you can identify at a glance L&R, inputs and outputs, CV sockets just by looking at any device, this should of happened before RE's were released and it got even worse with different devs interpretations.

Exowildebeest 2013-06-21 17:37

:p

Seriously though, I agree with 1, 2a and 2b. As for 3, I find the K button more than enough to hide cables. 4, yeah maybe.

mrjassonturner 2013-06-21 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exowildebeest (Post 1342887)

Seriously though, I agree with 1, 2a and 2b. As for 3, I find the K button more than enough to hide cables. 4, yeah maybe.

I agree with this post. And yes, copy and pasting parameters would be so much more convenient...

MirrorEyes 2013-06-22 02:10

Ooops yeah back to "skool" for me, there be 2 two's that = 22, wow this has really put it into perspective, not only did the numerical error discredit me as an authority on nothing but made me realise posting on forums is a complete waste of my time, what am I doing with my life arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrr

Thanks guys your awesome.

hakmul 2013-06-23 11:15

Colorcoding cables with a gradient could possibly solve the in/out issue, since the cable colors are in PH control and independent of any RE design; E.g. all output CV's in yellowish color, fading to bluish at the input end. And similar for audio.
On the other han, it might become even more dizzying with all the colors... :S

MirrorEyes 2013-06-23 19:41

Some subtle cable changes would help!! I was thinking more the same graphic on every device be it colour coded or not around Audio L & R In & Outs, CV In & Outs so you can instinctively patch devices without reading tiny text or thinking about it!! The point is, this is possible to implement with props own devices, not so easy now RE's are in the mix and should have been thought about prior to RE's launch.

With devices like Ochen K's A series that need substantial patching to build standard synth patches, all these little hurdles make it feel awkward and clunky, where it could clearly be much more intuitive, which surly is one of the fundamental cornerstones of the Reason environment, all I'm after is small improvements so it's intuitive, faster and more fun.

MirrorEyes 2013-06-23 19:43

Add to the list dragging cables to the CV inputs on the Combinator, just like Kongs Drum and FX section does not unfold the device.

selig 2013-06-23 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MirrorEyes (Post 1344447)
Add to the list dragging cables to the CV inputs on the Combinator, just like Kongs Drum and FX section does not unfold the device.

It does unfold the device, it just doesn't also "Show Programmer" or "Show Drum and FX", which are totally different things. If those specific panels are open and the device is folded, dragging any cable WILL unfold the device which will show everything.

But I get your point - you're suggesting that all devices should totally open every foldable area when dragging any cable over it, correct? :-)

MirrorEyes 2013-06-23 20:23

Correct, would be an improvement?

selig 2013-06-23 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exowildebeest (Post 1342887)

WWWAAAAYYY off topic, but here's the ADULT version of the ABCs to go with this: