Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reason Essentials?? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=186018)

jtindle 2013-07-05 18:50

Reason Essentials??

I'm in a praise band without a drummer and have been using Reason Adapted for M-Audio for drum beats. Usually we just make a 16 beat pattern in Redrum and loop it. Occasionally I will try to do the whole song with different beats for verses and chorus and bridges but I'm not a drummer and it takes a very long time and once complete it doesn't sound like the actual songs drums. Would Reason Essentials benefit us over Adapted version? Would I be able to create drum patterns for songs any easier? Also, I have seen where some people will let you download Reason 4,5,6 etc.files to use. Are these compatible with Reason Essentials?

Thanks

Jeff

dub08 2013-07-05 19:00

Hi Jeff! I don't know very much about Adapted or Essentials or, the differences between them but, I can say for sure that, a newer version of Reason/Reason essentials should have no issues opening old 4,5,6 files.
Hope that helps

All the best!

EDIT: I may of been lying a bit....I'm not sure if R Essentials can open files from "full" version of Reason. Missing alot of devices...

Ok I guess I am of absolutely no help here! Sorry for that :)

jtindle 2013-07-05 20:43

Also, can one install Reason Essentials on multiple computers? I would want a copy on the churches computer and then a copy on my home computer.

phasys 2013-07-05 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtindle (Post 1352495)
Also, can one install Reason Essentials on multiple computers? I would want a copy on the churches computer and then a copy on my home computer.

If you use only 1 at the same time, that's fine. If you use 2 at the same time with only one license, beware of lightning strikes.

reasoner498 2013-07-05 22:33

Reason Essentials will give you approximately the same instruments as Reason Adapted, so it may not help if Adapted isn't sufficient for your needs (ie, Redrum is Redrum in both apps...).

Essentials can open Reason Limited files (the replacement for Reason Adapted), but it can't open Reason "full-version" files.

Reason Essentials would still be more flexible than Reason Adapted, as you would have audio tracks, a basic SSL mixer, rack extensions, etc.

The best thing to do is download the demo and try it out to see if it fits your needs.

Nymphomation 2013-07-08 22:58

Maybe use Rex loops instead of trying to programme your drums? For stuff with a band, recorded loops of proper drums might sound better.

yorick 2013-07-09 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtindle (Post 1352413)
I'm in a praise band without a drummer and have been using Reason Adapted for M-Audio for drum beats. Usually we just make a 16 beat pattern in Redrum and loop it. Occasionally I will try to do the whole song with different beats for verses and chorus and bridges but I'm not a drummer and it takes a very long time and once complete it doesn't sound like the actual songs drums. Would Reason Essentials benefit us over Adapted version? Would I be able to create drum patterns for songs any easier? Also, I have seen where some people will let you download Reason 4,5,6 etc.files to use. Are these compatible with Reason Essentials?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff what you might want to try is making a beat for each section, bouncing it down, then loading it back into DrOctorex to trigger it, and assigning each loop a key on the keypad for easy triggering.

Or use the step sequencer in redrum, assigning different beats for the different sections (and banks for up to 4 songs- each with 8 sections...), again assigning the patterns to a computer keypad key.

Then you can be changing sections by hitting a key, rather than using your mouse/

SteveDiverse 2013-07-09 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub08 (Post 1352419)
Hi Jeff! I don't know very much about Adapted or Essentials or, the differences between them but, I can say for sure that, a newer version of Reason/Reason essentials should have no issues opening old 4,5,6 files.
Hope that helps

All the best!

EDIT: I may of been lying a bit....I'm not sure if R Essentials can open files from "full" version of Reason. Missing alot of devices...

Ok I guess I am of absolutely no help here! Sorry for that :)

Reason Essentials only opens Reason Essentials files.

reasoner498 2013-07-09 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDiverse (Post 1354239)
Reason Essentials only opens Reason Essentials files.

It also opens Reason Limited files.