Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   my suggestions for thor, malström etc. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=186191)

APKes 2013-07-09 09:26

my suggestions for thor, malström etc.

i am new to reason and so far i am very happy with it but there are a few things i miss in reason's thor, malström etc., nothing unrealistic nowadays i think.

thor needs a unison mode with detune and pan spread, the multi oscillator in thor needs a pan spread function too. a few more modern sounding "massive like" wavetables would be great.

malström needs a key sync function for the lfo's because they re-triggers really strange when tempo synced, i think to the current song position or so, really strange behaviour anyway. btw user waves for malström would be a dream.

a few other devices needs lfo key sync too, for e.g. subtractor, nn-19 and dr. octo rex.

for the classic effect devices, at least phaser and chorus/flanger, a d/w function would be very usefull.

best regards.

colcifer 2013-07-09 09:49

Subtractor's lfo 2 is key synced. Thor is in mono before filter three. Dry/wet blends are easy to create yourself, as is a unison Thor patch. The Rack is a powerful thing.

APKes 2013-07-09 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by colcifer (Post 1354272)
Subtractor's lfo 2 is key synced.

lfo2 is not key synced but anyway, you can't sync lfo2 to the bpm and you can't route it to the filter 1 or fm, therefore a key sync for lfo1 would be very usefull.

Quote:

Dry/wet blends are easy to create yourself, as is a unison Thor patch.

yes maybe you can simulate a unison like effect with clever patching or with an chorus but this is not really the same, thor is a great synth and it deserves a proper unison mode with detune and pan spread, i think this is nothing unrealistic or super special for a va synth nowadays, should be possible.

i must admit a d/w for the classic effects is not much hard to patch but in some situations it would be very handy to have it right there on the panel.

Quote:

The Rack is a powerful thing.

yes. :)

eXode 2013-07-09 11:02

I agree on the unison mode. I made a suggestion for that back in 2008, and considering it's not been implemented since that time I feel that the probability for it happening now is a bit low. But I'd love to be proven wrong. :)

lejalle 2013-07-09 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by APKes (Post 1354280)
lfo2 is not key synced but anyway, you can't sync lfo2 to the bpm and you can't route it to the filter 1 or fm, therefore a key sync for lfo1 would be very usefull.

LFO2 is polyphonic which I think implies that it is key-sync.
But I let the synth masters of the forum confirm this.

APKes 2013-07-09 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by lejalle (Post 1354296)
LFO2 is polyphonic which I think implies that it is key-sync.

hm let's try it, set the rate of lfo2 on a lower frequency and modulate the osc pitch, now play notes and you will hear the lfo rise and fall continously and will not re-trigger if you press a key, that means to me lfo2 is not key synced, or maybe it works a bit different here than in all other synths i used over the last years :)

Djjimmyc 2013-07-09 14:10

create a thor and via CV use thors LFO1 to modulate the parameter of your choice on either subtractor or malstrom.

Bung this all in a combi so sound and modulation sources are triggered at the same time.

colcifer 2013-07-09 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by APKes (Post 1354308)
hm let's try it, set the rate of lfo2 on a lower frequency and modulate the osc pitch, now play notes and you will hear the lfo rise and fall continously and will not re-trigger if you press a key, that means to me lfo2 is not key synced, or maybe it works a bit different here than in all other synths i used over the last years :)

Each voice gets its own lfo. :)

APKes 2013-07-10 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djjimmyc (Post 1354347)
create a thor and via CV use thors LFO1 to modulate the parameter of your choice on either subtractor or malstrom.

Bung this all in a combi so sound and modulation sources are triggered at the same time.

i know about the routing capabilities in reason and i love it but sometimes it can be very annoying when you must load tons of stuff in the rack for such simple things like a key and tempo synced lfo in subtractor or malström for e.g., in such cases the rack also can gets very fast confusing and the sequencer too because you have to double, triple etc. all the midi tracks.

that's why i think it might be the right time to update all the classic devices like subtractor, nn-19 or malström and the classic effects with such contemporary workflow optimized enhancements, they could update it with relatively little effort i think but for the workflow it would be a huge improvement and it keeps the rack a bit cleaner. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by colcifer (Post 1354487)
Each voice gets its own lfo. :)

that's true but that's not key sync (as i expected) ;)

Djjimmyc 2013-07-10 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by APKes (Post 1354805)
in such cases the rack also can gets very fast confusing and the sequencer too because you have to double, triple etc. all the midi tracks.

Thats why i suggested keeping it in one combi, all triggered from one track :)