Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Low latency interface with Reason 7 (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=186209)

Darkersound 2013-07-09 18:28

Low latency interface with Reason 7

Hello all...

First post so be gentle!

I am currently putting together a small project studio - and I'm having issues deciding on whether to go the MIdas Venice F16 (all in one solution) or go the "golden 2 channel" interface + analogue mixer (so I can incorporate my outboard synths + Ensoniq DP4)

Can anyone recommend a very low latency high quality conversion option for me to get my outboard synths into my Mac Mini i7 quad and Reason 7?

Thanks for any interest in this post.

Darkersound 2013-07-09 21:55

Bump anyone?

mcatalao 2013-07-09 22:42

I've had many interfaces from different brands (maudio, staudio, motu, focusrite, and finally hooked up with a rme) and the most performant driver is rme's. It allows me to work as low as 2ms in + 3 ms out with a raydat pcie card.

Darkersound 2013-07-10 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcatalao (Post 1354543)
I've had many interfaces from different brands (maudio, staudio, motu, focusrite, and finally hooked up with a rme) and the most performant driver is rme's. It allows me to work as low as 2ms in + 3 ms out with a raydat pcie card.

Cheers for your input. Would something like this be compatible with a 2012 Mac Mini?

Anyone else with an interface or mixer combination for use with Reason 7?

Cheers

EnochLight 2013-07-10 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkersound (Post 1354797)

Cheers

It's a shame that a 2in/out audio interface wouldn't suffice - Propellerhead's Balance can get me latency as low as 1 to 3 ms at 96 Khz.

mcatalao 2013-07-10 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkersound (Post 1354797)
Cheers for your input. Would something like this be compatible with a 2012 Mac Mini?

Cheers

Sorry, for the mac mini i would advise a RME Fireface 400 or 800, since the raydat is a PCIe device (ie, you have to put it inside a desktop computer). Fireface performances are also very good, though i don't have one.

EnochLight,

3 to 6 ms is a stable reference. I've been down to 1 ms with my raydat, but in this case the pc starts to be a hog. And those 3 ms at 96 kHz would be 5 or 6 total (you have the in path and the out path, that is always just a notch faster).

Darkersound 2013-07-10 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnochLight (Post 1354904)
It's a shame that a 2in/out audio interface wouldn't suffice - Propellerhead's Balance can get me latency as low as 1 to 3 ms at 96 Khz.

Cheers for the input.

I am very seriously considering either the balance or duet 2 for the 2 in 2 out option, perhaps with a decent small mixer with the main outs wired into the interface.

I am likely to be using the interface at 44.1 KHz 24 bit. What sort of latency would I be getting tracking outboard midi kit into Reason using itb effects?

Cheers

EnochLight 2013-07-10 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcatalao (Post 1354922)
EnochLight,

3 to 6 ms is a stable reference. I've been down to 1 ms with my raydat, but in this case the pc starts to be a hog. And those 3 ms at 96 kHz would be 5 or 6 total (you have the in path and the out path, that is always just a notch faster).

Greetings,

Yeah I'm pushing about 2 ms total at 128 samples actually. :) The project pictured is a relatively light project. For my heavier stuff (which tends to have 30-40 tracks of synths, audio, etc) I need to raise my buffer a bit though.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psbeac0339.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkersound (Post 1354939)
Cheers for the input.

I am very seriously considering either the balance or duet 2 for the 2 in 2 out option, perhaps with a decent small mixer with the main outs wired into the interface.

I am likely to be using the interface at 44.1 KHz 24 bit. What sort of latency would I be getting tracking outboard midi kit into Reason using itb effects?

Cheers

Adding some outboard MIDI gear will obviously introduce a little more latency into the chain (assuming you are recording the audio back into Reason), but short of a few buggy iOS apps on my iPad I've never really noticed it to be measurable. My hardware Juno 106 works fantastic with Reason.

As far as latency added using itb effects, that really depends on what you use. Some effects add virtually no noticeable latency. Others (such as Ozone's Maximizer) can add quite a bit depending on its settings. Most of Reason's native are pretty low, though.

Darkersound 2013-07-11 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnochLight (Post 1354974)
Greetings,

Yeah I'm pushing about 2 ms total at 128 samples actually. :) The project pictured is a relatively light project. For my heavier stuff (which tends to have 30-40 tracks of synths, audio, etc) I need to raise my buffer a bit though.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psbeac0339.jpg

Adding some outboard MIDI gear will obviously introduce a little more latency into the chain (assuming you are recording the audio back into Reason), but short of a few buggy iOS apps on my iPad I've never really noticed it to be measurable. My hardware Juno 106 works fantastic with Reason.

As far as latency added using itb effects, that really depends on what you use. Some effects add virtually no noticeable latency. Others (such as Ozone's Maximizer) can add quite a bit depending on its settings. Most of Reason's native are pretty low, though.

Thanks for the extensive reply.

Totally appreciate how something like the ozone maximizer, which is essentially a mastering RE, will add greater latency. I'm more interested in RE's you would use while tracking.

My further question is for my use I would want to input an access virus TI into Reason using its audio outs into an interface (lets say Balance) and I am using the midi out option in Reason.

Lets say I want to arpeggiate a TI synth line and quantize it so it sits tight and record it, what sort of latency should I expect? (24 bit 44.1 khz)

If you have any figures for dry and also with fx in Reason it would be of great help. I appreciate that it will only be an approximation as I have not stated which fx I will use.

EnochLight 2013-07-11 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkersound (Post 1355203)
Thanks for the extensive reply.

Totally appreciate how something like the ozone maximizer, which is essentially a mastering RE, will add greater latency. I'm more interested in RE's you would use while tracking.

My further question is for my use I would want to input an access virus TI into Reason using its audio outs into an interface (lets say Balance) and I am using the midi out option in Reason.

Lets say I want to arpeggiate a TI synth line and quantize it so it sits tight and record it, what sort of latency should I expect? (24 bit 44.1 khz)

If you have any figures for dry and also with fx in Reason it would be of great help. I appreciate that it will only be an approximation as I have not stated which fx I will use.

Again, I'm essentially doing the same with my hardware Juno 106. I control it va an EMI & a USB-based EMU MIDI port, play it via my Nektar Panorama P4, and sequence it using the Matrix and RPG8. Recording it via Balance by my Juno's audio line out into Balance line in - there is no measurable latency on my setup (see signature for hardware). If I were to guess, I would say under 10ms total. As far as ITB effects adding latency, I don't find it an issue with Reason's native or most of the RE's I use (Synapse Audio's devices are dressing up my Juno 106).

I've read that controlling VSTi via a loopback software solution (Soundflower, etc) can add a bit more, but I'm working with hardware for the most part.