Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Using Omnisphere in Reason? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=186988)

deepening 2013-07-24 22:29

Using Omnisphere in Reason?

I've been frustrated trying to find information on how to use Omnisphere with Reason. I wrote ILIO and received this reply:

Quote:

Omnisphere is a plug-in only. It supports AU, VST, and RTAS formats. As long as you have Reason 6.5 or higher, you should be able to use Omnisphere inside Reason (6.5 is when third party hosting was introduced).

You may also want to verify with Reason to ensure it will host Omnisphere properly. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
Your Sales and Support Team

ILIO
Not terribly helpful, but seems to indicate it should be possible. However so far all I've been able to find on these forums is people saying you need another DAW with VST capability (I've never used VSTs) and to Rewire (also something I've never used), to slave Reason to that DAW. As I use only Reason and no other DAW (or currently any other outside software), that's not terribly appealing.

Does anyone use Omnisphere with Reason as their primary DAW? How is this done? Or is ILIO just completely off their rocker?

Any help is appreciated.

mbain 2013-07-25 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepening (Post 1362184)
Does anyone use Omnisphere with Reason as their primary DAW? How is this done? Or is ILIO just completely off their rocker?

Any help is appreciated.

Ilio is completely off their rocker about Reason 6.5 being able to use Omnisphere. However, with MIDI out in Reason 7, it should be "possible" to use Omnisphere in Reason, but it's a work-around and not easy to set up. I was never able to successfully set up Reason to work with VSTs.

joeyluck 2013-07-25 00:42

Reason only supports REs. Although, it is possible with MIDI Out. What OS are you using?

deepening 2013-07-25 02:24

I'm running Mac OS X 10.8.4.

So I was thinking it should be possible to use MIDI out, but Omnisphere isn't a stand-alone synth, right? It's a plug-in. I would assume that means it only works if you have something else to plug it into, correct?

joeyluck 2013-07-25 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepening (Post 1362288)
I'm running Mac OS X 10.8.4.

So I was thinking it should be possible to use MIDI out, but Omnisphere isn't a stand-alone synth, right? It's a plug-in. I would assume that means it only works if you have something else to plug it into, correct?

Correct. But you can use a number of things to run a VST (doesn't have to be a full DAW).
I use "Audio Plugin Player" ($2.99 in the Apple App Store). But there is also AU Lab as an option and even Garageband supports VSTs.

Here is a .docx I created that shows how I make it work. For the most part, it is the same as everyone else (aside from preferences in VST host and audio routing).
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pi...EyYzI0NDQ3MGY0

joeyluck 2013-07-25 02:47

Let me know how that works for you! Or if there's anything you do differently that works—let me know that as well =)

deepening 2013-07-25 02:51

Wow, thanks! That's a very clear and straight-forward doc. Very cool! Thanks again!

joeyluck 2013-07-25 03:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepening (Post 1362296)
Wow, thanks! That's a very clear and straight-forward doc. Very cool! Thanks again!

Thanks! No prob. I mostly created it as a way to mirror with other users as I wasn't sure the way I was doing it at the time was the most streamlined. I was getting lost in conversations since it is quite a bit of info (and there's also slight differences across operating systems). It may seem tedious, but it really isn't too much.

I figured the best way to get on the same page was to document it. From what I've seen and heard, others on Mac OS aren't doing it much differently. Some folks route their MIDI using their hardware interface (MIDI Out on the interface back into MIDI in) and similar setup with audio. Again, if you discover something that you think works better—let me know so I can give it a try and update the doc.

Good luck!

deepening 2013-07-25 09:28

Just tried it with a freeware VST and it worked! Thanks again. I never would have figured this out on my own. Pretty damn cool. Now I just have to decide if I want to drop that much cash on Omnisphere. :) It does sound frickin' amazing...

joeyluck 2013-07-25 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepening (Post 1362370)
Just tried it with a freeware VST and it worked! Thanks again. I never would have figured this out on my own. Pretty damn cool. Now I just have to decide if I want to drop that much cash on Omnisphere. :) It does sound frickin' amazing...

Good to hear! Yeah, I've seen some videos of Omnisphere and have been pretty impressed. What are you using to host the VST?