Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Export to MP3 (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=187284)

juno106user 2013-07-30 07:43

Export to MP3

Hello? ;)

This should be a no brainer. I producer ads for radio and send my clients their ads for approval via email. MP3s are way easier to deal with.

joeyluck 2013-07-30 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by juno106user (Post 1364647)
Hello? ;)

This should be a no brainer. I producer ads for radio and send my clients their ads for approval via email. MP3s are way easier to deal with.

Agreed.

The main argument against MP3 export is the quality.

However, IMO, the only reason to use MP3s is for convenience for exactly the scenario you mention.

I want to share smaller files and I want to share them quickly. Often, I am sending many files out within moments after making changes.

Right now, the way to do it is to export a WAV or AIFF, and then encode it into an MP3 using another application, and then of course remember to delete the AIFF of the rough draft (as it's taking up space), etc. And then email it. This is all after going back in the project and making changes. It may seem simple, but it does take time (and time adds up) and it can get in the way of workflow. It could be made much faster with MP3 export.

It's only when a project is finalized that I really care to export and save an AIFF.

nickmorgan19457 2013-07-30 10:07

What's so hard about making 1 post with all your requests?

snugglepuff 2013-07-31 15:14

I think there might be a licensing issue with that which prevents Reason and other DAWs from implementing this. For example, in Reaper the option exists, but it exports to MP3 through a third party plug-in, and the dialog box says that this is because of a licensing issue.

joeyluck 2013-07-31 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by snugglepuff (Post 1365320)
I think there might be a licensing issue with that which prevents Reason and other DAWs from implementing this. For example, in Reaper the option exists, but it exports to MP3 through a third party plug-in, and the dialog box says that this is because of a licensing issue.

Yes, I believe this is true. I think Propellerhead would have to pay for licensing in order to incorporate the ability to export the mp3 format. Which if spread out across other costs to the end customer, I would think would be pretty minimal. But I am unsure of the licensing costs...

joeyluck 2013-07-31 16:32

Do the mobile apps (Figure, Thor, ReBirth) incorporate mp3 export?

dboomer 2013-08-02 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyluck (Post 1365356)
Yes, I believe this is true. I think Propellerhead would have to pay for licensing in order to incorporate the ability to export the mp3 format. Which if spread out across other costs to the end customer, I would think would be pretty minimal. But I am unsure of the licensing costs...

Correct ... but a dollar here and there adds up, and eventually the customer will pay for it. There is no free lunch!

joeyluck 2013-09-09 18:56

So, I was reading about ReBirth at http://www.rebirthapp.com/ and I learned that it has the feature of exporting mp3's. I'm not sure if this has always been a feature...but it's there.

I know folks have raised the point that incorporating mp3 export would cost Propellerhead money and in the end would be charged to the customer. That being said, the capability exists for a low-priced, mobile app. So, is licensing for mp3 format and cost really an issue then?

pushedbutton 2013-09-09 19:56

I'd be more concerned with the politics than the cost.
As soon as exporting to mp3 becomes routine there's a risk that the perceived quality of tracks made in Reason will go down, dragging the reputation of Reason with it. Newbies don't read manuals as a rule of thumb, they follow the path of least resistance a stick to what's familiar.
It would be a shame to think that in 20 years time the only stems of a ground breaking piece of music were in a compressed format.
There's plenty of free conversion software online.
MP3 is shit.

joeyluck 2013-09-09 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushedbutton (Post 1387368)
I'd be more concerned with the politics than the cost.
As soon as exporting to mp3 becomes routine there's a risk that the perceived quality of tracks made in Reason will go down, dragging the reputation of Reason with it. Newbies don't read manuals as a rule of thumb, they follow the path of least resistance a stick to what's familiar.
It would be a shame to think that in 20 years time the only stems of a ground breaking piece of music were in a compressed format.
There's plenty of free conversion software online.
MP3 is shit.

I describe my reasoning for having mp3 export in my first post in this thread. I think it is a valid point. I don't see a problem with having the option to export. You really think folks wouldn't know better? I find that hard to believe.

Maybe under "File" it could read...
"Share a quick rough cut as mp3"
or
"Export as AIFF/WAV"