Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   RE User Constructor similar to NI Reaktor (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=187579)

Starwave 2013-08-04 02:06

RE User Constructor similar to NI Reaktor

I think Reason needs something similar to NI Reaktor or SynthMaker/FlowStone based on low level (logic, math, memory,...), and mid level (State Variable Filters, Oscillators, FFT, ...) DSP operators to let users design their own Devices (User Rack Extensions) connecting low/mid level DSP modules and designing their frontal and backward Devices using knobs, LED's, Jacks,...
Something similar to RE SDK's but for users and based entirely on Graphic programming like NI Reaktor does and not for developing on RE Shop.
Obviously user's generated RE's will be slower than true compiled RE's that we can find on the RE Shop, but sometimes users wants to do something difficult to implement or impossible to find on RE Shop and this can help.

VillaNDubstep 2013-08-04 15:17

Hell yeah. Currently I use max for live to do this kind of stuff but would love to see it be possible in reason somehow.
It could also be extremely useful to send a working copy of an idea to someone that knows how to code so some devices could still make it into the RE shop if well implemented but other than that it would be an extremely valuable learning tool to many and awesome just to be able to share some user made stuff with everyone.
I imagine this would be some what like a combinator version of reaktor and really hope this happens! Next upgrade or sooner please :D

eXode 2013-08-04 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starwave (Post 1367283)
I think Reason needs something similar to NI Reaktor or SynthMaker/FlowStone based on low level (logic, math, memory,...), and mid level (State Variable Filters, Oscillators, FFT, ...) DSP operators to let users design their own Devices (User Rack Extensions) connecting low/mid level DSP modules and designing their frontal and backward Devices using knobs, LED's, Jacks,...
Something similar to RE SDK's but for users and based entirely on Graphic programming like NI Reaktor does and not for developing on RE Shop.
Obviously user's generated RE's will be slower than true compiled RE's that we can find on the RE Shop, but sometimes users wants to do something difficult to implement or impossible to find on RE Shop and this can help.

Yeah, I made a similar request a while back (before RE's were known):

Reason Device Designer

guitfnky 2013-08-05 16:51

an interesting idea, but can't you do this already to a large degree just by making combinators using existing stuff? I haven't had a chance to read through your thread, eXode, and I'm not familiar with Reaktor, so forgive me if that's a dumb question. I am most definitely ignorant on the subject. ;)

aquil 2013-08-05 16:57

Sure you can do many stuff with combinators. But you cant put your combinator effect or intrument inside a another combinator. Huge draw back in my opinion.

lejalle 2013-08-05 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXode (Post 1367482)
Yeah, I made a similar request a while back (before RE's were known):

Reason Device Designer

Very interesting idea. It reminds me not only Reaktor but also M4L. In fact you have been heard with RE, except that the average user can't build its own devices and if a user happens to be also a company (which is not so easy depending on the country where you live and if you already have another full time job) he can apply to have access to the SDK but needs to know traditionnal computing language to build its dreamt devices.

So finally, RE is another story than yours ;-)

VillaNDubstep 2013-08-05 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitfnky (Post 1368037)
an interesting idea, but can't you do this already to a large degree just by making combinators using existing stuff?

Use max for live or reaktor and you'll understand a bit more about it. Combinators are good but it's not the same and being limited to 4 dials and 4 buttons is a drawback imo.
Programmes like max for live and reaktor allow people to build devices from the ground up and it's a lot deeper than combining devices, for example, custom algorithms.

guitfnky 2013-08-05 19:57

ah, gotcha. I figured there had to be something I was missing. :)

Starwave 2013-08-06 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitfnky (Post 1368037)
an interesting idea, but can't you do this already to a large degree just by making combinators using existing stuff? I haven't had a chance to read through your thread, eXode, and I'm not familiar with Reaktor, so forgive me if that's a dumb question. I am most definitely ignorant on the subject. ;)

Combinators only combines high level existing devices while Reaktor allows low level and mid level DSP processing modules be combined.
For example if an engineer wants to implement a high order custom FIR (Finite Impulse Response) Filter, QMF Filters set (Quadrature Mirror Filters) or IIR (Infinite Impulse Response) Filter using Butterworth, Bessel, ... design techniques or wants to fragment an audio file on sample blocks to do a FFT (Fast Fourier Transform), wavelet transform,... and then windowing using Hanning, Bartlett, ... actually is completely impossible to do using combinators.
There are an infinite list of examples that actually can not be done using combinators and current Racks and Rack extensions.
Imagine for example AutoTune Pitch correction algorithm by Antares. It was designed using Time domain tecniques and has very low latency for pitch correction in real time.
Reason's Neptune was designed using frequency domain techniques and latency is higher than Antares Auto-Tune for real-time use.
Advanced users can do for example time domain pitch correctors (for example) using low level DSP operators like NI Reaktor does.