Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   VST vote (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=191009)

Rapletes 2013-08-22 12:57

VST vote
 
Instead of debating over having VST integration in Reason, lets have a poll to show what the PH customers want. Vote

Recurse 2013-08-22 13:40

I voted yes. Can't see any reason NOT to have the option. There are many other things I'd rather the Props worked on first though.

guitfnky 2013-08-22 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recurse (Post 1378936)
I voted yes. Can't see any reason NOT to have the option.

stability?
ease of use?

HiddenOutsideTheBox 2013-08-22 15:08

This again?! With Re's I think there is 0.000001% chance of props adding VST compatibility. Hard Reason nuts don't want it for the stability reason. But with Midi out there are now work arounds to get VSTs into Reason.

But I for one feel it's now unnecessary so long as the Re's keep releasing at a decent rate and demand for them remains high. In a couple of years they'll be almost on par I think.

BonezMcCoy 2013-08-22 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitfnky (Post 1378956)
stability?
ease of use?

I don't think Propellerhead will ever implement AU/VST support, after all they have their own protocol right now. However, this stability argument is a bit dated. I have no crashes running multiple plugins in my DAW in 2013. If the code is good, it won't crash. Some Reason users have had crashes since REs were introduced, but once the problem REs get updated the problem goes away. Also, a device is not necessarily easier to use because it is not an AU/VST, if anything, ABL2 RE is more difficult to use than its AU/VST counterpart since everything, including step sequencer, is readily available without the need of hooking it up to other devices.

guitfnky 2013-08-22 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 1378976)
I don't think Propellerhead will ever implement AU/VST support, after all they have their own protocol right now. However, this stability argument is a bit dated. I have no crashes running multiple plugins in my DAW in 2013. If the code is good, it won't crash. Some Reason users have had crashes since REs were introduced, but once the problem REs get updated the problem goes away. Also, a device is not necessarily easier to use because it is not an AU/VST, if anything, ABL2 RE is more difficult to use than its AU/VST counterpart since everything, including step sequencer, is readily available without the need of hooking it up to other devices.

VSTs (from my admittedly limited understanding) are a much more 'open' protocol than REs. I'm sure for most of the higher-end VSTs done by better known developers, you're right. I could see stability being a much bigger problem for lesser-known, 'cheaper' VSTs, where the developer just sort of slapped it together for fun or whatever. then there's the issue of how well those VSTs play with each particular DAW. with REs, Propellerhead ensures that there is a certain level stability by making the developer get approval before they'll put it into the shop. of course it's not going to be completely bulletproof, but Reason with REs is still way more stable than other DAWs I've used.

and my point about ease of use was more aimed at installation and maintenance of the plugin/RE. back when I used to actually use VSTs, I recall a number of times where I had to go through a bunch of BS just to get them installed and working properly with Digital Performer. Rack Extensions, by comparison are stupidly easy. go to the store, try/buy it, let it download and authorize, and open Reason.

BonezMcCoy 2013-08-22 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitfnky (Post 1378983)
VSTs (from my admittedly limited understanding) are a much more 'open' protocol than REs. I'm sure for most of the higher-end VSTs done by better known developers, you're right. I could see stability being a much bigger problem for lesser-known, 'cheaper' VSTs, where the developer just sort of slapped it together for fun or whatever. then there's the issue of how well those VSTs play with each particular DAW. with REs, Propellerhead ensures that there is a certain level stability by making the developer get approval before they'll put it into the shop. of course it's not going to be completely bulletproof, but Reason with REs is still way more stable than other DAWs I've used.

and my point about ease of use was more aimed at installation and maintenance of the plugin/RE. back when I used to actually use VSTs, I recall a number of times where I had to go through a bunch of BS just to get them installed and working properly with Digital Performer. Rack Extensions, by comparison are stupidly easy. go to the store, try/buy it, let it download and authorize, and open Reason.

My non RE plugins just install and are ready to use this easy. Everything is very easy today. Only thing is, Propellerhead will NOT implement AU/VST support unless they are ready to say goodbye to their RE protocol. I am not voting because i don't need AU/VST in Reason, I already have a DAW, but I see no reason to be against it. If you are afraid of instability or complex installation procedures, you just don't buy the product, right?

guitfnky 2013-08-22 16:42

true. I agree that it is a moot point, because it's just not going to happen. mostly, I was just playing devil's advocate to Recurse's statement.

Exowildebeest 2013-08-22 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 1378992)
Everything is very easy today.

Oh yeah?

Try opening a plastic pack of scissors...

phasys 2013-08-22 17:04

http://blog.shaleshockmedia.org/wp-c...dead-horse.jpg


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:26.