Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Feedback requested on Vermilion pieces (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=191164)

jfrichards 2013-08-24 22:56

Feedback requested on Vermilion pieces

I would appreciate some feedback on these 10 pieces made with Vermilion. Especially on guitar tones and mixes. But also the songs themselves. Thanks.

Loading SoundCloud…

DavidA 2013-08-25 01:01

I enjoyed listening to your new stuff. The basic tracks have a good mix as the bass and drums sound spot on. The rhythm guitar has a clean single coil sound I like. The lead/melody is technically fine but seems to be to far out in the mix which presents a disconnect between the band and the lead guitar. It could be a s simple as to much reverb possibly. Maybe tweaking the low, mid, high levels on the lead/melody track as this is essentially your call.

We listened to this through M-Audio Studiofile speakers at close proximity with fairly low levels. If you decide to remix it we'd like to hear it all again as this makes a good EP/LP group of songs.

I gotta say, Nile Rogers has been on my brain lately with all this Daft Punk stuff.
Have a nice day

jfrichards 2013-08-25 06:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidA (Post 1380177)
The lead/melody is technically fine but seems to be to far out in the mix which presents a disconnect between the band and the lead guitar. It could be a s simple as to much reverb possibly.

Thanks, and good advice David. I'll work on too much reverb. In the first song, it's The Echo which is overdone.

LastAlternative 2013-08-25 21:13

Deep Space- Freekin cool. I have no idea how you got that sound but it seems like a bit of of tremor and lots of reverb.
Hurricane Dance- Nice funky bass. Awesome guitar tone. Sweet beat.
Sky Singer- Tad too much high end on the drums. Love the guitar verb. Classic tone.
Train Set- Cool train track beat. Love the clean slide guitar.
Princeton- Again, nice cleans.
Descent- Laid back and well spread soundstage. Awesome wah wah on the guitar.
Metal- This is cool but just wait til the Creme comes out!!! Even still, you made the guitar sing.
Dual Amp- Sweet sweet blues man. I wish I could play the blues/jazz. Sounds very nice.
Innocent Mind- Is that you singing? I barely hear the guitar in this one. Major ducking in there.
Rhodes- Nice warm tones. Was that even a guitar? If it was you somehow ran it thru a synth and I'd like to know how!
*All in all very well done examples of what Vermilion can do. You're a hands down great guitarist and musician. I never knew til now. One question- How do you make a whole album player list like that on soundcloud?

martinbfrancis 2013-08-25 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by torusflow (Post 1380457)
One question- How do you make a whole album player list like that on soundcloud?

Make a List in SC (multiple tracks), and then embed the List page vs. a track.

jfrichards 2013-08-26 00:25

Quote:

Innocent Mind- Is that you singing? I barely hear the guitar in this one. Major ducking in there.
Rhodes- Nice warm tones. Was that even a guitar?

That is me singing. Needless to say, I'm looking for a vocalist to work with in San Francisco. I wanted to show how Vermilion guitar can be a nice background instrument in this piece, fitting nicely with synths and vocals.

No, that's not a guitar in "Rhodes". That's the "Gig Tubed Rhodes" combinator patch from the ElectroMechanical Refill running into Vermilion. If I could get a guitar to sound like that, I'd get an RIAA award.

Thanks for the compliments and the details.

jfrichards 2013-08-26 00:34

Quote:

Deep Space- Freekin cool. I have no idea how you got that sound but it seems like a bit of of tremor and lots of reverb.

The secret was starting with AMB Cave II RV7000 preset, then tweaking all over.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps2042336f.jpg

anthonyi 2013-08-29 11:32

Some nice tones there...would love to see your setup for the guitar tones on Princeton and Dual Amp, if that would be ok.