Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Importing Midi Into Reason (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=192500)

Munnkyboy 2013-09-18 23:33

Importing Midi Into Reason, not good

Hey everyone...I did a search, but could not find an answer.

When I import a standard Midi File into REASON, it defaults to the COMBINATOR/ID8 configuration for each track.

Okay...

As soon as I actually try to put instruments INTO the Combinator or change out the ID8...nothing...

Just upgraded and seems Reason 4 was sooooo much easier.

Take it easy on me.

Thanks for your response

M

Grumbleweed 2013-09-18 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munnkyboy (Post 1391857)
Hey everyone...I did a search, but could not find an answer.

When I import a standard Midi File into REASON, it defaults to the COMBINATOR/ID8 configuration for each track.

Okay...

As soon as I actually try to put instruments INTO the Combinator or change out the ID8...nothing...

Just upgraded and seems Reason 4 was sooooo much easier.

Take it easy on me.

Thanks for your response

M

Not quite sure of the right way to sort it but creating the device you do want to use and dragging the midi to the device's sequencer channel will do the job. (Delete the original track and device to tidy things up.)

Grum.

Munnkyboy 2013-09-19 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumbleweed (Post 1391864)
Not quite sure of the right way to sort it but creating the device you do want to use and dragging the midi to the device's sequencer channel will do the job. (Delete the original track and device to tidy things up.)

Grum.

Thanks...that's an extra step...and the workaround...I'm really bummed this isn't as easy as Reason 4...there seems to be several questions about this on the web...that have gone unanswered...the combinator does not function the same way when you import the .MID files...It's connected OUTSIDE the COMBI...if you delete the ID8, you lose the MIDI data...

JesseRyckman 2013-09-19 03:24

I'm assuming you're talking about importing MIDI through the import command on the file menu. When I imported an old midi multi-track midi composition, Reason set me up with a number of ID8 instruments containing sequencer tracks (and even automation!).

If you want to transfer that midi information to new instruments, simply create the new instrument (e.g. Thor) and drag the clip from the ID8 to the Thor in the sequencer. The ID8's function as necessary placeholders.

Munnkyboy 2013-09-19 03:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseRyckman (Post 1391910)
I'm assuming you're talking about importing MIDI through the import command on the file menu. When I imported an old midi multi-track midi composition, Reason set me up with a number of ID8 instruments containing sequencer tracks (and even automation!).

If you want to transfer that midi information to new instruments, simply create the new instrument (e.g. Thor) and drag the clip from the ID8 to the Thor in the sequencer. The ID8's function as necessary placeholders.

Thanks...but what about the Combinators they are connected to? Even when you try to Route the ID8 the way you normally would..add a Mixer to the COMBI...reconnect the ins and outs to the mixer...you loose the signal...

This seems like alot of work or an extra step from before..

Thanks for the response

JesseRyckman 2013-09-19 03:29

Also I'm not sure what combinators have to do with it.

".the combinator does not function the same way when you import the .MID files...It's connected OUTSIDE the COMBI...if you delete the ID8, you lose the MIDI data..."

I can understand the last sentence, because the sequencer track containing the midi data is linked to the ID8. But the first two sentences... Where does the combinator come into it? You mean when you create a new instrument to swap out the ID8?

You said "it's connected outside the combi," what is "it" in this case?

Edit: I wrote this before I saw your post.

JesseRyckman 2013-09-19 03:32

What version of Reason are you using?

JesseRyckman 2013-09-19 03:36

I think you might be mistaking mix channels for combinators. If you're used to Reason 4, they can look somewhat alike. Now, instead of running everything into the 14:2 mixer, an instrument will automatically get it's own mix channel so you can use the main mixer (the SSL).

If you're trying to use a 14:2 line mixer instead, then you can simply create one to the side (it'll get it's own mix channel). Right click on the mixer device and create whatever instruments you want to inherit the midi data. Then, go to the sequencer and drag the midi data from the ID8 tracks to the corresponding tracks of the new instruments.

djjams 2013-09-19 03:49

I usually just click the instrument selector (e.g. "piano") on the id8 choose "browse instruments..." and browse for a patch (combi or not) that I want to use. This way the ID8 is replaced with the new selected instrument and no rewiring work is needed.

Munnkyboy 2013-09-19 03:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseRyckman (Post 1391919)
I think you might be mistaking mix channels for combinators.

Thanks,

I'm using Reason 6.

I'm an idiot..The MIX Channel Device...I'm sorry for my confusion...I just can't add another instrument to replace the ID8