Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Macbook Air or Macbook Pro? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=192596)

gavuk 2013-09-21 02:09

Macbook Air or Macbook Pro?

So I'm thinking about possibly getting a portable machine to run Reason 7 on. I was contemplating a Windows machine but I'm currently leaning more towards a Mac.

Question is, Air or Pro?

This would not be my main Reason workhorse and would only be used on my commute and whilst travelling away from home. Hence it needs to be very portable. Projects would ultimately be transferred to my main workstation in my studio at home for completion and polish etc.

I like the Air as it's very slim and lightweight but would a high spec model be powerful enough to run Reason well (as opposed to the Pro)?

Thoughts on a postcard please.

vanKloot 2013-09-21 04:01

I recently made this exact choice myself. I went with the MBP over the Air, ONLY because of the retina display. To me, it makes a huge difference having that extra resolution available. And for a $200 difference in price between my 13" MBP and an equivalent Air, and slightly less than a pound of weight difference... it just didn't make any sense to give up the res.

Reason runs great on it BTW. I use it as you do - a very secondary machine for those occasions when I'm on a business trip or whatever and want to have the ability to fiddle around with musical ideas if I feel the urge.

gwynebiau 2013-09-21 04:47

I'd go with the MBP too, but if the size and weight difference are very important to you, the Air could still be a good choice, I'd just hold off on adding some of the more CPU heavy effects until you get home if you make pretty CPU heavy tracks. I'd also expect to spend a lot of time zoomed in on a 13 inch screen... ;)

vanKloot 2013-09-21 05:00

good point on the small screen, especially at higher resolutions.

BTW if you happen to also have an iPad, you can get AirDisplay and turn it into a second monitor. Works great. ;)

dvdrtldg 2013-09-21 07:54

MBPro all the way. You need as much processor as you can get. Even if you think you won't use CPU heavy effects while on the laptop... you'll still want to, and the lack of horsepower will piss you off sooner or later.

DjVinnie91 2013-09-21 20:43

Don't even need to read any post.

Pro all the way. No doubt.

gavuk 2013-09-22 02:29

Thanks for the feedback guys. It would seem that the MBP is the most popular although the size/weight thing is a big consideration for me ... I'm going to be carrying this in a rucksack also with my work laptop a lot of the time along with some other stuff.

I had almost ruled out the retina display thinking I wouldn't need such a hi-res screen. Either way, I'd probably be looking at the 13" ... this is small but with the benefit of portability.

I really need to sit down and look at specs and pricing to see what all the differences are.

RosaCoaster 2013-09-22 14:26

I considered the Air when I first got a mac, the only reason to by an Air is for portability, it's super lightweight and obviously much smaller. Otherwise the MBP completly blows it out of the water in terms of power/performance and all for very little extra money, the 13" came in at an extra £150 for me.

I'd go MBP and only get the Air if weight and size is of the utmost priority.

DanaAdalaide 2013-09-22 16:24

I've got both, and use the Air most of the time.

The air is a laptop, the macbook pro is a desktop replacement machine.

gavuk 2013-09-23 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveashe (Post 1393366)
The air is a laptop, the macbook pro is a desktop replacement machine.

That's an interesting viewpoint and one I've neither heard or considered before.

According to the Apple site ...

Macbook Air 13"
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage
1.35 kg
£1339.00

Macbook Pro 13"
2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
256GB Solid State Drive
2.06 kg
£1489.00

Similar specs apart from the baseline CPU (although if you believe the Turbo Boost figures they may be "equivalent"). Apart from the faster CPU, the bottom line appears to be the MBP is heavier ... 0.7Kg in weight and £150 in cost.

Funnily, I'm more concerned about the additional weight. 8)